Configurable upload slots

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Would you like to be able to set filetype and filesize conditions for your open upload slots?

Yes
29%
No
50%
Only Filetype
4%
Only Filesize
13%
Don't care
4%

Total votes: 24

Kunda

Configurable upload slots

Post by Kunda » 2003-02-01 19:42

I added the following comment to a suggeston in the feature tracker only to realise it had been closed (rejected). Does this mean we will never be able to set conditions for our open upload slots? Maybe this should be the subject of a poll..?
Yes I hurriedly opened the settings dialog after I got 0.22 expecting to see a CONFIGURE button next to "Upload slots" in the Sharing tab... just empty space *sigh*

Would it be that hard to have a dialog appear with "Filetype" and "Filesize" dropdowns next to EVERY upload slot, with the default settings "*.*" (filetype) and "Any size" (filesize)?

That way the slots will behave as they do now unless u chose to change them.

The Filetype dropdown list could be editable having Remove and Add buttons, and radio buttons to choose either "Only these filetypes" or "Every filetype except these"

The Filesize could have 2 uneditable dropdowns next to eachother - first just having "Any filesize","only files over", "only files under", and "only files between" which would affect what is in the dropdown list of the second - disabled for "Any filesize", a set list of sizes for both "..over" and "..under", and a set list of size ranges for "only files between"
.. the second one I guess could be editable (with an optional 3rd dropdown for gb,mb,kb,bytes) as long as there is appropriate abuse checking to prevent ppl entering numbers too small or big.

There should also be a check to enforce at least one slot to be kept at the default setting.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-02-01 19:56

as a user on DC you decide which files you want to share, and other users are free to pick from them, its not up to you to force people
into choosing certain files.

this-is-how-it-should-be-ly'ers ,))
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

Kunda

Post by Kunda » 2003-02-01 20:07

ivulfusbar wrote:as a user on DC you decide which files you want to share, and other users are free to pick from them, its not up to you to force people
into choosing certain files.
What I don't like doing is forcing someone to wait to download a small file under 2mb when all my slots have ppl downloading 500mb+ files. I'd prefer at least one of the slots to be a "small file only" slot, so more ppl can get small files off me without me having to be there to grant them slots.

[KUN.NL]mepmuff

Post by [KUN.NL]mepmuff » 2003-02-01 20:11

so maybe there could be a setting for free-file size, so that a user could set a maximum filesize for which somebody should get a free slot instead of the standard size there is now.

Kunda

Post by Kunda » 2003-02-01 20:25

I'm not keen on extra slots for anything more than the filelist. To me it would reduce the speed too much for those already using the slots.
I'd also like to have a slot for just uploading audio files, hence the dropdown list of types - for more than just *.mp3 , like *.sid, *.mod etc.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-02-02 06:13

so you want to make people who wants to download large file wait beacuse you have decided to dedicate one slot for mp3. Again, you share what you want to share, and other users should be able to choice any of these files.
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

yilard

Post by yilard » 2003-02-02 10:31

I agree with those who are against such feature. It's useless and would be used to cheat.
In the age of super-boredom/hype and mediocrity/celebrate relentlessness/menace to society --KMFDM

Jellobug

Post by Jellobug » 2003-02-07 20:12

i have thousands of audio files - and unreal 2 shared. it just kind of saddens me when i look at my transfers and see 10 slots dedicated to unreal 2. i grant slots to near anyone who wants audio files... this would save me the effort

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » 2003-02-08 02:37

arrrhhh COME ON! This is ridiculous!! You're talking along the lines of a prioritized-uploads-system - and thats not just silly, that SUXX BIGTIME!
It calls for an entirely new set of queue systems - if you want those weird features, make your own line of clients and hubs!

I >>CERTAINLY<< would not want to hang forever in queue for your files, just to realize that I'm being pushed behind becoz i'm not downloading music. Just decide if you wanna share the file or not - is it REALLY that hard?!?

And if I can add a sidecomment here re. the feature tracker? BLOCK IT from postings except from admins, and make it view only to ordinary users. That way, only sensible suggestions - like good suggestions in this forum - would be added, and you got RID of all those STUPID DOUBLE POSTINGS :roll: from KIDS :? who want their goddam NICKS IN COLORS or whatever :twisted: !!! *huff*huff* Ah, that eased my mind.

Ummm apart from it being a bad idea, I must admit that Kunda atleast has given his idea some thought, form and shape. At least he isn't whining about himself sharing a file.... :shock: