Remote User Agreement or something!

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

distiller

Remote User Agreement or something!

Post by distiller » 2003-01-05 18:13

When a user wants to download a file a private message is sent to that user with the content: "You are about to download the file [file] from me, do you have legal rights to download this file? If you do, answer yes and your download wil begin."

If the user answers yes this means you can not be held responsible for "sending copyrighted files". This should make it safe to use DC++ in Sweden at least, where it is illegal to share files!

I will be implementing this in pDC++, would be nice if it was supported by DC++ as well, most users use DC++ you know... =)

A feature to automatically answer "yes" could be implemented that the brave can check in preferences to never have to see these messages.

The responsibility should be on the one downloading, not uploading imho.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Remote User Agreement or something!

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-01-11 21:50

distiller wrote:When a user wants to download a file a private message is sent to that user with the content: "You are about to download the file [file] from me, do you have legal rights to download this file? If you do, answer yes and your download wil begin."
This is one of the features that pDC++ seems to offer...
He's got the patched source to 0.20 and his own page set up at: http://www.lowertech.net/pdcpp/

Nev
Programmer

Post by Nev » 2003-01-13 14:06

In sweden this wouldn't help a bit.....
[url=dchub://ancient.myftp.org]ancient.myftp.org - [BBB][Sunet][Tele2] ONLY! @ 20GB (ISP/IP/Share Scripted)[/url]

distiller

Post by distiller » 2003-01-14 08:44

Are you sure, you're a lawyer? :D There must be a way... 8)

eHast

Post by eHast » 2003-01-14 15:02

Besides, the guys working for "anti-pirat gruppen" in Sweden have legal authority to download the files. (Naturally the owner of the file always has legal rights to download it.)

And to make matters even worse I doubt disclaimers like this have any legal authority. Even "shrink wrapped" licenses and EULA (the stuff you always click by when you install a new program) have no legal precedent. So it's not sure if these will have any legal authority either.

distiller

Post by distiller » 2003-01-16 09:29

I can tell you though that RIAA has signed a paper that makes it legal to store your music as MP3 fxp even if you bought a CD (you can do what you want with the bought music for personal use).

The logical conclusion is that you should be able to share these MP3's with others who own the original material as well. If someone tells you they own the original material and you give them a copy (share) it should be legal, if my logical mind is correct. But this applies to music only and surely not for movies etc... If it would be interpreted the same way by the law I don't know - but I think so! If the interpretation above is correct a user agreement should suffice. There is a possibilty to log nick, IP, time, hub & date when the user agreed. It will be as good or bad as a standard EULA.

We really should get hold of a copyright-lawyer. ;)

Iceman[grrrr]
Forum Moderator

Post by Iceman[grrrr] » 2003-01-16 09:55

Distiller... you are right for the States but not in Sweden where they still don't have any laws on downloading copyrighted stuff... Instead, the make sharing it illegal.
DC++ QoS Person

LinkSync

Napster ended this issue nicely

Post by LinkSync » 2003-01-26 05:10

Really it did.
They was found guilty of "enabling"
so are we all!
THANK GOD!
We are all of us pirates...
Nice pirates i admit but legally pirates anyway.
its always the battle! if u remove "ownership" from the "owner" then they lose POWER so they get pissed off and put u in jail!

well who does "own" it?

they say they they do i say i do cause i got it from u what ripped it!

I WILL NEVER STOP LIVING THIS WAY!

we need a new economic model that frees information to all! there by freeing everyone to have simular access to oppertunities etc.
the old capitalist model of the robber baron wins and then kills the little guys sucks...
just look at bill gates!
btw if u need any of the microsoft operating system software for free i know where they can be gotten....
hehehe
bastards!
lol
peace
TREEHOUSE.dns2go.com:411
[email protected]
Good Warez LINKS @ www.tree-house.info