select multiple files for "Search for Alternatives"

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Duke|MyU

select multiple files for "Search for Alternatives"

Post by Duke|MyU » 2003-08-30 08:06

When downloading folders consisting of multiple RAR files (or multiple zip files, or whatever.....) , if I right click on each individual file, I can select "Search for Alternative".... However, if I highlight several files at the same time, that selection option disappears.

The hub I use has several users sharing the same files, in order to enable downloaders to spread out the bandwidth.

The problem is that I have to manually highlight each and every file, one at a time, and do the Search for Alternatives for every one of them in order to get all possible files in the folder queued up from the multiple sources.

Could you consider adding the ability to highlight a block of files from the same download folder, and do a Search for Alternnatives for all, at one time? It would save me lots of key clicks, dealing with hundreds of files at a time.

Thanks for considering this one. I know others have suggested similar features, but have asked about it from odd angles. I think this suggestion is much more straight forward.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-08-30 09:34

This would introduce search spam and might get you kicked from a hub.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-08-30 13:10

best solution is to search for one file, and then grab filelists from people you got match from, and then use match queue. Some clients/mods (not in any major release i know of) use an agressive tactic instead and add extra source on all files below in the hirarkie. This might increase the use of $ctm and $rctm and you need to save entries/history for people not having the source (so that you don't end up in a loop).
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

Duke|MyU

Post by Duke|MyU » 2003-09-03 17:50

There's no automated way to assist with downloading files from multiple users who have the files. "Distributed Sharing" is what it could be called. In the MyU hub, I manually do this alternative searching, file by file, all the time, and never get any grief from bot or human.

I can't be the only one wanting to speed up the downloading of sets of archive files!!!

Duke|MyU

Post by Duke|MyU » 2003-09-03 18:04

Or, how about this thought.

Since the Match Queue is only available from the Filelist window, how about making Match Queue available by right clicking on someones name in the Download Queue window, or some additional places.

mai9

Post by mai9 » 2003-09-04 10:52

But to match your queue the filelist needs to be loaded. So this feature would only save you some mouse clicks.

I personally find very useful the 'open filelist' item in user list. Maybe it will help you too :wink:

http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/forum ... highlight=