Favorite Hubs: Slot Preferences.

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

grenavitar

Favorite Hubs: Slot Preferences.

Post by grenavitar » 2003-08-13 01:27

I alternate between two hubs a lot, sometimes I'm on both, sometimes on one, etc. One of the hubs requires at least a slot per hub, quite a reasonable request but I often forget since I change so often and do it quickly. I tend to keep to the minimum slots as much as I can since I try to seed some torrents as well. I have been banned shortly from one of the hubs because of my not remembering to change slots when I change between hubs. I wonder if other (like me) would like to see a feature whree you can add slot preferences to your favorite hubs, the ones that you really don't want to be banned from. For instance, put a field; "Min Slots" and field; "Min Slots per Hub". I think just those two would cover it in fact... maybe more complex, add a little scripting thing if you wanted to add limits (e.g. 2 slots / hub uness > 5 hubs...) the scripting part isn't too important as it would be rare but just an added thought. I think this would be good because you would never go under the slots required so you wouldn't face the ban for being forgetful.

Also you could do the same for too many slots, but normally hubs don't ban for that (in fact most hubs just kick, but some ban for short periods). Also, if you try connecting to a hub that allows a max of 10 slots, and a are on 4 hubs with one hub that demands 3 slots / hub, DC++ will report a contradiction error and ask if you really want to join the hub or somesuch. Granted this is more of anomalies but I think the first paragraph problem could be somewhat useful, plus i doubt it's hard to implement.

The same could be used for share size, and give you warnings if you don't meet the requirements.... This will be all user set for favorite hubs and will not affect the others, and will just be a heads up to the user. It is similar to this thread but... not really... I hope someone has a comment for this.

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-08-13 07:05

grenavitar wrote:I wonder if other (like me) would like to see a feature whree you can add slot preferences to your favorite hubs, the ones that you really don't want to be banned from.
I like this idea. I don't think the feature should open slots for you...just let you know that you may be kicked (I'm not sure what you wanted done on this one). If the feature opened slots for you, then everyone would have the absolute minimum number of slots opened at all times.

It would be more helpful if the hub could report to the client "how many slots are required per hub" and let the client do the math. Hub requirements change, without the users knowing it. If the client asked the hub, it would be much more reliable. (Is this possible from a client standpoint?)
grenavitar wrote:The same could be used for share size, and give you warnings if you don't meet the requirements....
Although this aspect is more straight forward then slots (because the share limit doesn't depend on other hubs), it could be useful as well.
Hehe.

grenavitar

Post by grenavitar » 2003-08-13 07:26

Sorry, it was late and I didn't really think it out exactly how I wanted this. I think it would work either way, opening the slots or the warning, and as you said the requirements do change but this is a best guest just to save yourself sometimes. It wouldn't be a minimum number of slots all of the time since you only set these requirements for however many you want of your favorites, it doesn't have to be for all of them.

It would be helpful if the hub reported a minimum but that would either take a change of the protocol or something extra that could only be added to DC++H, and that is a much larger endeavor and I'm not sure if it's really worth it to the team, whereas anything like waht I / you mentioned before is pretty short and sweet. The more I think about it the more I do like just a warning, it's not changing the slots that is hard, it's just forgetting sometimes. So a message could pop up "You should have at least [x] slots to enter [hub] while in [n] other hubs." then you click ok, or continue depending on wheter you want to change it. Anything of the sort works I believe.

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-08-13 07:29

You may want to have some type of alert without the popup window...because many of us don't like popups. :)
Hehe.

TheNOP

Post by TheNOP » 2003-08-13 08:39

i also like this idea

here my toughts about it .
make DC++ remember needed hubs settings for hubs in favorite
and before connection to hub is made, it check agains current one , change them or warn.
if it change them ,when disconnecting from hub it revert back to initial setting.
TheNOP

Have you read the FAQ?
Or the sticky ? It might give you idea.

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-08-13 09:14

Sounds good.

Does the existing hub software have any type of "tag" as the dc++ client does? If so, then the dc++ client could look at the hub tag.

Or, the hublist could list these requirements in a separate column...much like some of them show the number of users and total Terabytes of files shared in the hubs. The client could grab information from the hublist and do the math from that.

Just some thoughts :wink:
Hehe.

TheNOP

Post by TheNOP » 2003-08-13 20:59

jbyrd wrote:Does the existing hub software have any type of "tag" as the dc++ client does? If so, then the dc++ client could look at the hub tag. :
a standard will have to be made for hub registering i think .(in discription ?)
does all hub will conforme to this ?

my idea require user input.

your's is for all hub that would use that standart, it would be great . :)
and it would be better if all hubs conforme to it .

click a hub in hub list and forget about slot and hubs requirement. :D
it should not connect if to many hub are open and one hub is limiting this.(warn to close some hub/s before)
same things for up slot and dl slot.

but what could/should appen if hub is not conforming to the standard ?
TheNOP

Have you read the FAQ?
Or the sticky ? It might give you idea.

Rodga

Like your idéa!

Post by Rodga » 2003-08-14 11:18

Brilliant idéa! But also I think it should be possible to fill in MinSlots, MaxSlots, Min HubSlots, Max HubSlots, Max Hubs and MinShare though. And when these "favorite hub rules/settings" crashes with other "favorite hub rules", DC++ should prompt us about choosing which hub(s) we want to go to or not go to, or it could just connect to the second best hub (we should be able to rate them). Or if the issue is the share, it should inform us (echo) about how much share we must have (and how much extra we must share), and automatically not join these hubs if the share stays the same.

And if we get disconnected, DC++ should try to connect, say at most 10 times, and after that, connect to another hub in favorite hubs (must be able to rate the hubs!).

This way we don't have to care about the hub rules at all, as DC++ would choose the best composition of hubs to connect to :D

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-08-14 12:58

Rating the hubs could be as easy as putting them in order in the hub favorites window. Simply move the hub up or down the list...the first is your "favorite favorite" while the last one is your last resort.

Whatcha think?
Hehe.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Wiki

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-08-18 21:58

jbyrd wrote:Does the existing hub software have any type of "tag" as the dc++ client does? If so, then the dc++ client could look at the hub tag.
Sort of....