These features is a "must do" ´til the next ver

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

andersz

These features is a "must do" ´til the next ver

Post by andersz » 2003-08-07 16:18

I have been waiting many versions of DC++ for these features

1. a Music Library like Kazaa (not so heavy) were i can have all my files like napster with a little music player in the program.

2. an option so i can open for example a mp3-file i am going to download in DC++ instead of going to the map were the file is and the start the file from there.

Thanks for me.

Skrotnisse

Re: These features is a "must do" ´til the next

Post by Skrotnisse » 2003-08-07 16:41

andersz wrote:I have been waiting many versions of DC++ for these features

1. a Music Library like Kazaa (not so heavy) were i can have all my files like napster with a little music player in the program.

2. an option so i can open for example a mp3-file i am going to download in DC++ instead of going to the map were the file is and the start the file from there.

Thanks for me.
1. pretty useless according to me

2. hmm, doesn't understand this... you want to OPEN a file that you are GOING to download? you cant open the file until you have downloaded it? :)
and when the file is downloaded, use the "finished downloads" and then rightclick on the file and choose open :)

Gratch06

Post by Gratch06 » 2003-08-07 18:51

andersz wrote:1. a Music Library like Kazaa (not so heavy) were i can have all my files like napster with a little music player in the program.
Understandably, many people don't use DC++ for the mp3 downloading and DO use it for other purposes. Although MP3 people are a large chunk, I really don't think it merits inclusion based solely on that. Though a player would be nice, any MP3 player with a music library (MusicMatch Jukebox is a fairly easy one) would beat the limited features that could be offered in a combination p2p/mp3 player application. Just my two cents, I found the player in Kazaa totally worthless and used my real MP3 program instead.
andersz wrote:2. an option so i can open for example a mp3-file i am going to download in DC++ instead of going to the map were the file is and the start the file from there.
If I understand you correctly, this is currently available through your finished downloads --> double click filename. As a better fix (and something I intend to do at some point) is that if you open your own file list (perhaps add an "Open My File List" option to the menus), and double click a file, it will load up in the default player/viewer. NOTE: this behavior would ONLY apply if the file you opened was YOUR list. This would work obviously only for files that you had in your share (ooer! a perk for sharing ;)).

Also included in this is the limit to only being able to play files that are not currently being downloaded (no playing partial files).

Downside to implementing something of this nature is that it encourages people to share incompletes (so they can play the file right from the program).

My two cents. If someone has implemented an MP3 player into DC++ already, I'd be curious to see it.

-Gratch06

andersz

Post by andersz » 2003-08-08 05:10

It´s ok that you people are trying to work against me in my suggestions but why don´t just have the options inte the program?

If you don´t wanna use them, then don´t ;)

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-08-08 05:20

well, implementing a feature needs alot of work.. someone has to do it.. and I think they want to lay time on features that ppl will accually use. And not just because ONE person wants it. If you have the ability to make it yourself you can post it to arne, maybe he'll put it in there.
http://whyrar.omfg.se - Guide to RAR and DC behaviour!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

HaArD

Post by HaArD » 2003-08-08 06:21

Personally I like the fact that Arne resists attempts to make DC++ an everything but the kitchen sink app.

DC++ is NOT an MP3 player. That function has been done, and done well in countless other applications.

DC++ IS a app. to connect to hubs, download filelists, search for files and share.

Bloatware bites. Keep DC++ pure.

HaArD

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-08-08 10:10

K.I.S.S. :o
Hehe.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-08-18 21:05

andersz wrote:It´s ok that you people are trying to work against me in my suggestions but why don´t just have the options inte the program?

If you don´t wanna use them, then don´t ;)
I think this is more properly referred to as "peer critique."

If you have a feature, it really should be able to stand up to a thorough questioning of its scope, purpose, and alternate ways of accomplishing the same thing...

Frohike

Post by Frohike » 2003-08-20 15:18

Frankly, i dont think that a player would be that good (just look at kazaa) so ppl (incl me) simply wont use it. Id rather use winamp for my music.