Upload speed limit

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Locked
CerthasIM
Posts: 10
Joined: 2003-01-26 15:52

Upload speed limit

Post by CerthasIM » 2003-01-26 16:09

For ADSL users it is inacceptible to not have an upload speed limit since with many uploads happening out downloads rate drop to a trickle (<1Kbs for me).
The small send buffer option does not work for me.
Hacked clients like BCDC++are not accepted by most hubs.

For me the only viable option is to remove the more popular files from my share.

I fully understand the problems of an upload limit, but wouldn't it be possible for example to meassure the max upload speed of a client automatically and then limit the transfer speed to 80% of that?
Let the connection run unlimited for a minute, take the avarage of that and then put in the 80% Limit.

Snooze
Posts: 119
Joined: 2003-01-26 13:42
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by Snooze » 2003-01-26 16:19

There is a poll and a forum having this decussion ..no reason to start another ;)

Bobbish
Posts: 7
Joined: 2003-01-31 09:37
Location: na
Contact:

Post by Bobbish » 2003-01-31 14:18

you upload cappers suck

AlleyKat
Posts: 40
Joined: 2003-01-31 15:37
Location: Denmark

Post by AlleyKat » 2003-02-01 20:44

erm well I'd just like the limit set around 95-98%... Just so I can get to browse this forum, receive my mails (OE for some reason fails 4 of 5 times connecting when mine's upping full-speed).

So Bobbish - U line-blockers with monster lines suck too, or what... :roll:

Bobbish
Posts: 7
Joined: 2003-01-31 09:37
Location: na
Contact:

Post by Bobbish » 2003-02-02 17:19

line blockers
haha

no
only upload cappers suck

ender
Posts: 224
Joined: 2003-01-03 17:47

Post by ender » 2003-02-02 17:43

I wish there was an ignore nick function on the forum...

Bobbish
Posts: 7
Joined: 2003-01-31 09:37
Location: na
Contact:

Post by Bobbish » 2003-02-03 10:49

yeah then i could ignore your sorry ass

OLDoMiNiON
Posts: 202
Joined: 2003-01-06 06:22
Location: Salford, England.
Contact:

Post by OLDoMiNiON » 2003-02-03 18:28

now, now, children...

CerthasIM
Posts: 10
Joined: 2003-01-26 15:52

Post by CerthasIM » 2003-02-03 19:02

Don't feed the troll.

Spykie
Posts: 19
Joined: 2003-01-03 07:49
Contact:

Post by Spykie » 2003-02-04 06:28

Bobbish wrote:yeah then i could ignore your sorry ass


I should ban your ass, and feat you to the fish

Bobbish
Posts: 7
Joined: 2003-01-31 09:37
Location: na
Contact:

Post by Bobbish » 2003-02-04 16:35

yeah
what part of dont feed the troll dont you understand
cant you read???

its just like that sign "DON'T FEED THE BEARS"
better listen to that sign
and dont feed the bears

Sedulus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 687
Joined: 2003-01-04 09:32
Contact:

Post by Sedulus » 2003-02-04 18:22

bob,
please don't mess this forum up.
help someone instead. I know you know the answers to some of the questions posted there.
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

Bobbish
Posts: 7
Joined: 2003-01-31 09:37
Location: na
Contact:

Post by Bobbish » 2003-02-05 15:20

yeah i do
but i like ripping up these stupid forum flamers

yeah well anyway
i stick with my origional statement
capping is bullshit

binky stunt cat
Posts: 1
Joined: 2003-02-06 18:34

Post by binky stunt cat » 2003-02-06 20:08

Well, from my own personal experiance, and also based on NZ's rather shoddy connection system (average connection is 128Kbit/sec, capped ADSL) that the upload limiting is nessicary.
There are those whowouldnt be able to download very much without it because they are constantly getting leeched, and it helps on my uni network so that i can actually use some of my connection (10Mbit half duplex).

That said, there will be those who limit uploading to 1Kbyte/sec purely because they dont want to share...but there are always those sorts of people, and most hubs would probably do something about them.

Bobbish
Posts: 7
Joined: 2003-01-31 09:37
Location: na
Contact:

Post by Bobbish » 2003-02-06 20:18

thats the kind im talking about
the kind that limit it to almost nothing
i dont mind the occasional cap to help out your download
as like you said
capped dsl is a bitch
i have capped adsl
before it was capped it was 5 mbit
and now it is capped to exactly 1.5 mebit
which translates to about 180k a second
this is bullshit
and the worst part about it is
they didnt lower the price even though it has dropped by 2 thrids
bullshit eh?

flips
Posts: 2
Joined: 2003-02-25 13:12
Location: Norway

Upload limits

Post by flips » 2003-02-25 13:29

Snooze wrote:There is a poll and a forum having this decussion ..no reason to start another ;)


Care to tell me/us where this poll is or was? And what other forum?
(If it is no more, then what was the result? ... And yes, I'm pretty new to dc/dc++, but I really tried searching both google and browsing the most obvious forums, but didn't find the other forum having this discussion, probably beacuse this is an old topic or something, and the forums are rather active, it seems ...)

I personally wouldn't like it if lots of people started limiting too much, we have enough problem with fakers and leechers as it is. But a friend of mine has ADSL, and he claims dc without any limiting is pretty useless to him, everything net-oriented (like browsing the web) almost stops entirely when 2 or more uploads uses his entire upload capacity, and the "use small send buffer" doesn't fix (t)his problem.

Isn't is possible to implement a sane option limiting dc++ to use a maximum of 90 % of your upload capacity or something like that? Or does that require (too much?) changes to the protocol(s) and/or hub software?

It's not a big deal to me, I'm just trying to convince him that dc is better than the Kazaa stuff -- even though I never got kazaa to work ... :)
--
flips

Napro
Posts: 10
Joined: 2003-02-25 12:50

Post by Napro » 2003-02-25 13:35

http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/forum ... c.php?t=24 r u blind its just a like ten or so threads down

flips
Posts: 2
Joined: 2003-02-25 13:12
Location: Norway

Post by flips » 2003-02-25 14:32

*blush* Gosh, I think I must be ... (I'm not sure if it's my glasses or the fact that I'm very tired ...) Thanks, anyway ... :)

Darushin
Posts: 1
Joined: 2003-03-08 16:55

Post by Darushin » 2003-03-08 17:02

Bobbish wrote:you upload cappers suck


Since we suck so much, how about we remove the files you download? I am sorry, but I hate having my download speed go from 190+KB/sec to 5KB/sec because DC++ bandwidth management is weak. If a upload occupies more then %75 of my upstream then for each %5 it goes over I lose 30-40KBsec off my max download. I don't mind sharing (I currently share 50GB+), but I will be damned If I am forced into becoming a server because of weak bandwidth management code. I think letting us set the total upstream available is a goodthing

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor
Posts: 3212
Joined: 2003-01-07 21:46
Location: .pa.us

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-03-09 12:53

Darushin wrote:I don't mind sharing (I currently share 50GB+), but I will be damned If I am forced into becoming a server because of weak bandwidth management code. I think letting us set the total upstream available is a goodthing


Well, keep in mind that although good solutions to this exist (yes, I know), Arne isn't going to put the feature in the code. Probably precisely because of idiot users who can't be trusted not to abuse the feature. I think most of the people speaking up limit for good reasons; a leech saying why he wants it would be run off the board pretty quickly.

Marvin
Posts: 147
Joined: 2003-03-06 06:56
Location: France
Contact:

Post by Marvin » 2003-03-10 06:52

GargoyleMT wrote:Well, keep in mind that although good solutions to this exist (yes, I know), Arne isn't going to put the feature in the code. Probably precisely because of idiot users who can't be trusted not to abuse the feature.


As you said, solutions to this exist. Some are based on the last build of DC++. Some of them can pretend they are the official build, wich is (very) highly abuseable. Don't you think a leecher (even if those are by essence very narrow-minded) will use one of these mods instead of modifying dc++ by himself ?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor
Posts: 3212
Joined: 2003-01-07 21:46
Location: .pa.us

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-03-10 22:07

Marvin wrote:As you said, solutions to this exist. Some are based on the last build of DC++. Some of them can pretend they are the official build, wich is (very) highly abuseable. Don't you think a leecher (even if those are by essence very narrow-minded) will use one of these mods instead of modifying dc++ by himself ?


Of course. Other people have different agendas, or weigh the needs of the legitimate users of this feature against those who would abuse it. The code is out there, and so are precompiled binaries. Most binaries have some protection - BCDC limits your download to the same speed as upload when you're below 6kb, CZDC++ does similar limiting, as does DC++k.

I'm not sure where you're coming from or what your point is. I don't think I'm on the other side of whatever point you're trying to make.

Douglas Adams wrote:"If you have enjoyed the experience of this drink," continued the machine, "why not share it with your friends?"

"Because," said Arthur tartly, "I want to keep them."


Share And Enjoy!

Locked