why was it taken away???

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

unruled

why was it taken away???

Post by unruled » 2003-08-06 12:44

Well ive been the proud user of dc++ for a year, and congratulations i still love it! :D

i was wondering what happened to the part where it says how much time is left (approx.) for 'a' download to complete, frankly now it says in how much time it has done 'x' megs but not how much time is left.
although seeing how long u took is nice, its not as nice as seeing before hand how long it will take more or less... :x

one more thing, do ya think that in the download queu you could say beside each file you are downloading the percentage completed because otherwise you are left quite cluelesss on how much u have done if it is not currently downloading

thanks again for the great program :P

da_unruled

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-08-06 12:59

"Time left" has it's own column in the new DC++ version.. it may be hidden.. but it is there!
http://whyrar.omfg.se - Guide to RAR and DC behaviour!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

unruled

Post by unruled » 2003-08-06 13:12

cyberal wrote:"Time left" has it's own column in the new DC++ version.. it may be hidden.. but it is there!
lol right, so where is it that i should start looking? lol it doesnt seem to be with all the other columns (eg. speed, path, size....)

:roll:
ps:what about my request of %'s ? :(

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-08-06 13:31

You should click and drag on each side of each separator. Time is there...if you're truly using the newest version.

Percent...I believe it's in your queue. I guess we'll have to wait to see if someone would be willing to write a patch for it.

I agree. It would be very useful. I know it has been discussed before, but I don't remember any negative thoughts about it.
Hehe.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-08-06 13:45

unruled wrote:lol right
k, if thats how you want it... /ignore unruled
jbyrd wrote:I don't remember any negative thoughts about it
It was argued that it would take up too much cpu, apparently that was the reason arne removed it in the first place. I still don't get this.. how can updating a variable once in a while tak up so much cpu?
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

Gratch06

Post by Gratch06 » 2003-08-06 19:04

If I understand correctly, we're discussing adding a % downloaded column to the client. Is this not already in existence in the "status" column? (note that I'm not using the most recent source...). On the source that I'm playing with, I've separated the old style "status column holds everything" to a bunch of split columns, one of which is percentage.
cyberal wrote:I still don't get this.. how can updating a variable once in a while tak up so much cpu?
let's see, here's the line of code I use to update the percentage column:

Code: Select all

i->columns[COLUMN_PERCENT] = Util::toString((double)d->getPos()*100.0/(double)d->getSize()) + "%";
Quite a bit of calculation just to add a percentage column. Note that this happens on every tick (about every second I think?), and on every upload or download. The processor use may seem slight, but it would add up over any small number of transfers. Example:

Code: Select all

5 uploads, 5 downloads.
tick happens every 1 second.
10 calculations per second.
600 calculations per minute, each of which contains multiple calculations of its own.
36,000 calculations per hour.
unruled wrote:how much time it has done 'x' megs but not how much time is left.
I have a "time left" column in my mod, as it was part of the status column before. I have also added a "size transferred" column which holds size downloaded/uploaded. I can simply compare size transferred to total size (with my eyes) and get an estimate of how much is left via that method.

-Gratch06

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-08-07 01:50

Gratch06 wrote:If I understand correctly, we're discussing adding a % downloaded column to the client.
No! It's about adding the % indicator to the queue!

Gratch06 wrote:Quite a bit of calculation just to add a percentage column. Note that this happens on every tick (about every second I think?), and on every upload or download.
Since the percentage indicator alrady exists in the transfer window, the value can simply just be picked from there and saved to the queue. These values should be saved upon disconnecting a download and maybe every 30 seconds or so incase app crashes. The percentage indicator in the queue does not have to be very accurate, just so you get an idea of what file is downloaded the most and how much is left.

All in all, no calculations, just pick a string and save it to another variable!

unruled

Post by unruled » 2003-08-07 03:29

cyberal wrote:Since the percentage indicator alrady exists in the transfer window, the value can simply just be picked from there and saved to the queue. These values should be saved upon disconnecting a download and maybe every 30 seconds or so incase app crashes. The percentage indicator in the queue does not have to be very accurate, just so you get an idea of what file is downloaded the most and how much is left.
All in all, no calculations, just pick a string and save it to another variable!
That is exactly what i was thinking, thanks cyberal! :D

(edit: fixed your quote attribution & cleaned subsequent posts -GMT)

unruled

Post by unruled » 2003-08-07 05:08

plz tell me it willl be implemented :o

and o ye ps: can the RIAA get ur ass for simply having share (eg movies or games) or is it only when you 'distribute' or upload but not when u download?

thanks anyway,
da_unruled

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-08-07 07:45

They can get you for anything...
Hehe.