features

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

gourmet

features

Post by gourmet » 2003-08-05 14:57

1. Search in downloaded lists. I've got about 30 filelists and hard to find files there. I know they are, but must open and view all downloaded lists.

2. Another way to grant slots - extra column in currently downloading files. In this column each cell has drop-down list with 3 options
- Grant always (user always recieves extra slot)
- Grant for session (user recieves extra slot for my session time)
- Grant for 1 file (user recieves extra slot to download 1 file, with resuming)

3. Submenu with pausing file priority accessible from currently downloading window. Now to pause unnecessary file I have to switch to download queue, find file there and turn pause on. May be not only pausing will be useful, but other priority settings too.

4. Segmented downloading. :-) I'll write more in existing thread.

[KUN.NL]mepmuff

Re: features

Post by [KUN.NL]mepmuff » 2003-08-05 15:16

gourmet wrote:1. Search in downloaded lists. I've got about 30 filelists and hard to find files there. I know they are, but must open and view all downloaded lists.
Isn't this what the ADLSearch is for? So when you download a filelist, you have easy access to those hard to find files.
gourmet wrote:3. Submenu with pausing file priority accessible from currently downloading window. Now to pause unnecessary file I have to switch to download queue, find file there and turn pause on. May be not only pausing will be useful, but other priority settings too.
I'd like this too, maybe even extended to a submenu where you can set any priority for the currently downloading file. Maybe even enhanced with a feature that would use the same slot with the same user to start downloading another file with higher priority (when set priority is lower than the old one) from the same user?

gourmet

Post by gourmet » 2003-08-05 15:38

1. I thought this is not for already downloaded filelists. But fo future downloaded, may be to notify me if just downloaded file-list containes requestd file (I found it useless for while). Otherwise this thing doesnt' work. I dont' see folder "ADLSearch" and no one request to find anything in existing "FileLists" folder was complete.

gourmet

Post by gourmet » 2003-08-05 15:54

3. And if file selected to Pause, then it must be paused immediately. Now needed to Pause it then go to downloads window back and select Close connection. Not useful.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-08-06 01:53

1. ADL Search works on all files you open, regardless of when you downloaded them... just add your wanted files in ADLSearch and open the filelists..
http://whyrar.omfg.se - Guide to RAR and DC behaviour!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

gourmet

Post by gourmet » 2003-08-06 05:19

1. What?! I have to open all filelists to force ADLSearch in them? Whats' a stupid solution... Why not just make a button "Search loaded filelists" in ADLSearch dialogue or flag in properties of each search? Nothing more.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-08-06 05:23

why would you want that?
why not just use the normal search?
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-08-06 05:31

cyberal wrote:why would you want that?
why not just use the normal search?
Good point. Using normal search will also get you the most recent results, as the downloaded file lists may be out of date.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-08-06 06:41

the good thing with ADL Search is the fact that you can add ALL the stuff you are interetsed in, and it will appear in the <<< ADL Search >>> folder.. instead of having to search manually for each thing you want..

gourmet

Post by gourmet » 2003-08-06 06:51

BUT I NEED SEARCH LOADED LISTS TO FASTER FIND WHERE TO DOWNLOAD APPROPRIATE FILE FROM! SINGLE FILE!!! :evil:

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-08-06 07:24

Searching from filelists have benefits. Personally, I used to save filelists of those people that have a great connection with me. So, if I am looking for a file it may be useful to search those users first. Now, I use the favorite user feature.

Disadvantages of filelists:
1. Many times the filelist is out of date.
2. It isn't useful unless the user is online.

Filelists aren't really useful except for browsing files that you would otherwise not know you wanted.

Using the search feature has advantages over filelist searching.
1. It is faster to find a particular file.
2. You can see what files are most common.
a. You can get more sources.
b. You are less likely to get files that are bogus.
Hehe.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-08-06 07:42

gourmet wrote:BUT I NEED SEARCH LOADED LISTS TO FASTER FIND WHERE TO DOWNLOAD APPROPRIATE FILE FROM! SINGLE FILE!!! :evil:
huh?
jbyrd wrote:Filelists aren't really useful except for browsing files that you would otherwise not know you wanted.
exactly!
agree with everything else you said also!

gourmet

Post by gourmet » 2003-08-06 09:19

For me filelists are useful enough. I download a file from user, then he disconnects. And I wanna download something else. I dont' know name or anything. I wanna search all lists for files about 3 MB - and this doesnt' matter are owners online or not. I will find these files, then select by name and add them to queue.

Another example - I know part of name and I dont' wanna take large file. And again - doesnt' matter is owner online or not - I wanna find ALL owners of such files and may be just record to notepad.

And may be even me is offline, but I wanna search.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-08-06 09:27

sorry to say, but I still don't understand.. as a matter of fact, I think I understand less now than when this thread was started.. =)
gourmet wrote:I dont' know name or anything. I wanna search all lists for files about 3 MB
what????
gourmet wrote:I wanna find ALL owners of such files.
use the normal search for this, or else you won't get _all owners_!
gourmet wrote:And may be even me is offline, but I wanna search.
yeah, alrighty then.

gourmet

Post by gourmet » 2003-08-06 10:03

I think I understand less now
I see you dont' understand. :-) For example I download from collections of movies - music clips or even xxx-rated, this doesnt' matter. I wanna download clips with small size, cause I use slow enough line at home. They are kind of preview for me. Then I'll search for better quality.

And a word about ADLSearch - it works only for newly opened filelist. It doesnt' work for already opened filelist. If I need search something another in same filelist, I change request but I have to reopen filelist. Stupid... Why not repeat search in all opened filelists?!

Reading this I suippose my opponents have few of software design experience and even dont' know about of very important thing - interface flexibility. And there is another one important thing you must remember when design interface - orthogonality. Without both things in mind you cannot develope useful program.
use the normal search for this, or else you won't get _all owners_!
This will not give me all owners, but only all on-line owners.

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-08-06 10:16

I think the problem is that you don't know what you're talking about. You don't know how to use dc++ efficiently.

If you want to find a particular file, use the search.
If you want to browse around and download files that you didn't know you wanted, use filelists.
This will not give me all owners, but only all on-line owners.
What are you talking about? How will searching others filelists days or even hours after you have downloaded them give you ALL of the ONLINE users? Even if you downloaded every single person's filelist, you wouldn't know if they were online even 10 minutes from now. Ugh.
Reading this I suippose my opponents have few of software design experience and even dont' know about of very important thing - interface flexibility.
Actually, I have ZERO experience of software design. NONE. NADA. But, I do have experience of using software. Anybody that has used software knows that it is important to have a flexible tool.

If you have so much software design experience, why don't you go ahead and write up this feature yourself? No one will mind...but I doubt that it will be implemented unless you give an argument that makes sense.

GOOD LUCK.
Hehe.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-08-06 10:28

I can't add anything more, jbyrd said it all..

gourmet

Post by gourmet » 2003-08-06 10:42

How will searching others filelists days or even hours after you have downloaded them give you ALL of the ONLINE users?
That was only in your mind. In my mind I have - searching in downloaded filelists will give me files that owners had when I downloaded lists. But when I search in filelists - doesnt' matter - is user online or not. If I search in conventional manner - then I'll have info about on-line users. But I wanna info about off-line users too. The only way to get this - searching downloaded filelists.
If you have so much software design experience, why don't you go ahead and write up this feature yourself?
Cause I'm fulltime busy in commerce as Chief of Department.

Sure I found lots of design problems and thinking write about it to appropriate forum section. Anywhere - this is R 0.26 not even R 1.0.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-08-06 11:10

gourmet wrote:But I wanna info about off-line users too. The only way to get this - searching downloaded filelists.
Why do you need information about offline users? What do you gain from this? Especially considering the fact that the file list is most likely out of date and irrelevant.

Perhaps if you gave us a specific example of what you would like to do. Talk us through a particular scenario. Be *extremely* specific. What are you trying to do? What behaviour do you expect?

That will help us all think in the way that you are thinking. Hopefully then at least one of us will understand you request a little better and can explain to the rest of us.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

gourmet

Post by gourmet » 2003-08-06 13:17

Easy. For example I download file from somebody. Suddenly he goes offline. I start search same file in online users. Not found. But I remember - I saw same file in several stored filelists. Already there are 50 lists. May be one of owners will become online earlier. But I dont' know - who. I have to find this file in downloaded filelists. And if I could be able find it easy - I would add this file from all offline users. First incomer having free slots will give it to me. If he will go offline - then possibly another guy already online - and download continues. This is just a tool to create queue from offline users. I'm not care - from who I'll get it.

I was in this situation at least once per day.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-08-06 14:00

let me get this straight...
gourmet wrote:Easy. For example I download file from somebody..
k, you are downloading a file, I'm with you here..

gourmet wrote:Suddenly he goes offline. I start search same file in online users. Not found.
ah, bad luck.. still with you..

gourmet wrote:But I remember - I saw same file in several stored filelists.
Hold your horses! You saw the file you wanted in SEVERAL filelist, but you didn't add ANY of the files as sources in your queue??? OMG! Why? :?
gourmet wrote:Already there are 50 lists. May be one of owners will become online earlier. But I dont' know - who. I have to find this file in downloaded filelists.

Understand this too..
gourmet wrote:And if I could be able find it easy - I would add this file from all offline users.

How likely is it that NOONE online has your file, but SEVERAL users that just left, has it??
gourmet wrote:First incomer having free slots will give it to me. If he will go offline - then possibly another guy already online - and download continues. This is just a tool to create queue from offline users. I'm not care - from who I'll get it.
yes, ok.
gourmet wrote:I was in this situation at least once per day.
Unbeliveable! :shock:

Solution to your problem: If you see a file you want, add it as source to your queue!

gourmet

Post by gourmet » 2003-08-06 14:36

You saw the file you wanted in SEVERAL filelist, but you didn't add ANY of the files as sources in your queue??? OMG! Why?
Simply I didnt' yet wanna download files when download lists.
How likely is it that NOONE online has your file, but SEVERAL users that just left, has it??
May be some have but are passive as me. Doesnt' matter.
Unbeliveable!
Whatever...
Solution to your problem: If you see a file you want, add it as source to your queue!
Nope, solution is - downloaded lists search. I dont' know which one or ten of hundreds of files I will download after day. And of course I will not add all files from each user to queue.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-08-06 15:22

have you tried kazaa? I think that app would suit you! :D

gourmet

Post by gourmet » 2003-08-06 15:41

Sure tried even e-mule, e-donkey, WinMX, DC (.NET). Found DC++ much more useful but I need some features more.

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-08-06 17:34

I simply can't remember the last time that I was looking through filelists just browsing through some files...then a few hours/days later I realized that I wanted that file. REMEMBERING that someone from the filelists that I was browsing earlier had that SAME file that I didn't want - but now want - and can't seem to find that file among all of the other users in that hub. I simply can't remember the last time that happened.

You know what I would do if I were you? I would get Moglo. Yeah, that's what I would do.
Hehe.

gourmet

Post by gourmet » 2003-08-06 17:50

There could be HUGE amount of reasons not to do something. Actually DC++ almost support filelists search. Just a button needed and one winodow with sheet for results. On click - open all filelists, search them (it already exists), add to sheet and show it. Clicikng on name in sheet adds file to queue. Thats' all for request &#8470;1. What about &#8470;2 and &#8470;3?

[KUN.NL]mepmuff

Post by [KUN.NL]mepmuff » 2003-08-07 02:39

gourmet: could you explain why the automatically search for alternate sources feature doesn't do the trick for you? It seems to me like that it fits your needs precisely.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-08-07 03:28

mepmuff:
no no, gourmet wants to get files from users without internet connection! ;)

gourmet

Post by gourmet » 2003-08-07 04:19

gourmet wants to get files from users without internet connection
That's quite right - from users without connection at the time when I wanna add files. Each joke has a part of joke.

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-08-08 10:05

Jbyrd wrote:If you have so much software design experience, why don't you go ahead and write up this feature yourself?
gourmet wrote:Cause I'm fulltime busy in commerce as Chief of Department.
You have killed all chances of getting your feature implemeted. I won't be surprised if it isn't added to the rejected features tracker (Ok, most of the rejected features are useful, but abusable. This one won't be added because no one else in the entire world would find this feature useful.)

Reason being: You come across as such a prick.

What makes you think that these developers don't work full time? THEY DO.
You think that you're too important to code your *simple* feature, but that you can spout out orders and insults to those that have _nothing better to do_. That will get you nowhere.

There is a certain way to make a feature request.
1. State your problem.
2. State the possible solutions to the problem.
3. State the exact behavior of the feature.
4. DON'T TALK DOWN TO THE DEVELOPERS THAT WILL CODE IT!

If you stop being high and mighty, realize that the developers of this program DON'T GET PAID JACK to develop it, and they also have jobs to support their families; then maybe some developers would respond to your feature request. But they don't, because you won't.

Since you're so damn important, you probably are loaded, right? Visit Paypal and help support the developers.

And stop whining. Frankly, your attitude sucks.
Hehe.

gourmet

Post by gourmet » 2003-08-08 17:21

There is a certain way to make a feature request
1. State your problem.
I did.
2. State the possible solutions to the problem.
I did
3. State the exact behavior of the feature.
I did
4. DON'T TALK DOWN TO THE DEVELOPERS THAT WILL CODE IT!
I did not...

I just told the reason why I cannot implement this by myself... :?
And stop whining
Please dont' tell me what to do. Moderator can remove my messagesor even remove me from this foruem but NOBODY can stop me writing and giving suggestions.

And I have some more features suggestions. I'll explain it in separate thread. Personally
jbyrd
dont' read it if you are sick reading my messages. Beleive me I developed more than 200 000 lines of C code and about of 50 000 lines of x86 Assembler code. You developed nothing like this (you told already). Dont' make flame to me. Let developers talk to me. I wanna talk to them only.

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-08-08 18:29

WHINING != Suggestions.

Suggestions:
gourmet wrote:Search in downloaded lists. I've got about 30 filelists and hard to find files there. I know they are, but must open and view all downloaded lists.
WHINING:
gourmet wrote:Reading this I suippose my opponents have few of software design experience and even dont' know about of very important thing - interface flexibility. And there is another one important thing you must remember when design interface - orthogonality. Without both things in mind you cannot develope useful program.
(Paraphrase) This software is crap.
You say that it doesn't have flexibility, and without flexibility it's not useful. HA. DC++ is the most useful p2p tool there is (in my opinion). It does what it is supposed to do very well.
gourmet wrote:Cause I'm fulltime busy in commerce as Chief of Department.
(Paraphrase) "I'm too important and busy, let these idiots that have nothing better to do than implement my features do this."

I don't think you understood the point of my last post. The whole reason I started flaming you is because you say things like this.

And if I recall, in a previous post, you called the developers "lazy". Don't be so damn pompous, and you may get some positive feedback on your feature requests.

gourmet wrote:Let developers talk to me. I wanna talk to them only.
Good luck. I haven't seen one around here, you?
Hehe.

gourmet

Post by gourmet » 2003-08-09 08:01

other silly sentences ignored
Let developers talk to me. I wanna talk to them only.

Good luck. I haven't seen one around here, you?
Sure I saw.

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2003-08-09 08:09

Any competent programmer who has "developed more than 200 000 lines of C code and about of 50 000 lines of x86 Assembler code" should be able to figure out how to modify a small program such as DC++.

gourmet

Post by gourmet » 2003-08-09 08:56

If only he has time for this.

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-08-10 19:32

OK. Last post in this dead thread.
gourmet wrote:If only he has time for this.
Don't you see? Do you think anybody really "has time for this"? NO. It's obvious that you don't understand why your posts are so offensive. You are virtually declaring yourself more important than those that would actually implement your idea. It's rude, and sets a really bad example for others. I know, you're not a role model, but maybe from my response others will see that it is not condoned.

Do not refrain from making future feature requests, that is not the point of my replies. I am not on your case because I don't like the idea presented here. It may seem weird, but I actually want to see you have a fighting chance when you make a request on this board, and not screw yourself over by sounding like a demanding insensitive whining egotistical know-it-all.

I have made my point. Flame time is over. Have a nice day, gourmet.
Hehe.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: features

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-08-18 21:22

gourmet wrote:- Grant for 1 file (user recieves extra slot to download 1 file, with resuming)
This is a pretty significant change in the behavior for granted slots, and for how slots work in general.

It's not a whole lot of LOC, but it's not a simple patch either. But as a business man/compiler writer, realizing that shouldn't be too hard. ;))

Oh, and I believe a quote from this post is in order:
sarf wrote:Be specific, otherwise you will not get people interested enough in your feature to get off their backs and code it for you... as you are trying to convince people to do work for you.

Last but not least, motivating people to do things will make those things happen sooner than whining about them, something few people discover, especially bosses and managers.