lock tabs

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Skrotnisse

lock tabs

Post by Skrotnisse » 2003-07-28 21:46

Hi!
I have a really bad habit when using dc++. i often, by misstake, close the hubwindow so i lose the connection to the hub. Nothing special happends, if i download from someone and that person has "autodisconnect users who leaves the hub" checked, i lose the slot, but i'll get it back when i join again. the big "problem" is that it becomes very annoying when this happends all the time :)

after using the browser "crazy browser" i found a nice feature that could stop this. crazy browser has tabs for every page you visit(just like opera, netscate and i think mozilla has it to), and if you rightclick on a tab, you can chose to lock it, when you have the tab locked, you CANT close it, unless you unlook it or click on a button that closes all tabs (even the locked)....

i want this feature in dc++, i want to rightclick on the tabs and choose Lock Tab / Unlock tab (and it would be great if a little symbol showed up if the tab is locked.

//Skrotnisse

Twink

Post by Twink » 2003-07-29 00:04

I really like this idea.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-29 01:06

me like also, me have this problem too, me want :)
http://whyrar.omfg.se - Guide to RAR and DC behaviour!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-07-29 08:21

I also like this idea. But...

Are you ready for the noobs in the help forum with posts like...
"I can't close hub window"
"Hub is hacked...won't let me leave"
"Disconnection Problems"

:D

Skrotnisse

Post by Skrotnisse » 2003-07-29 10:50

jbyrd wrote:I also like this idea. But...

Are you ready for the noobs in the help forum with posts like...
"I can't close hub window"
"Hub is hacked...won't let me leave"
"Disconnection Problems"

:D
hahaha yeah maybe that will be a problem, but why dont make the tabs unlocked by default?
and your example's all focus on hub-windows... i would want this feature for all tabs (dl-queue, filelists, pm, hubs etc etc), maybe my explanation wasn't so good (i suck att explain things :))

//Skrotnisse

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-07-29 11:05

Nah. You did fine. I was just kidding.

Unlocked by default is not a foolproof solution. They WILL get inadvertantly locked. :)

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-29 13:27

This could be implemented together with a "locked on join" checkbox in favorite hubs!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-07-29 14:23

Something about this locking hub windows scares me. I guess what I would like to see is something to alert the user that the reason his window won't close is because it's locked.

Have any of you used AutoCAD? At the bottom of the screen there is a small dialog area; kind of like at the bottom left of internet explorer.

I would like to use that type of dialog to alert users what is going on. If they can't close their hub window, then it should tell them (in the bottom left hand corner) "Unlock Window To Close".

This same feature could be used to let people know that their search didn't go through (b/c of the 5 second rule).

Feel free to break this off as a separate thread, but I wanted to state my concerns in this topic.

Skrotnisse

Post by Skrotnisse » 2003-07-29 14:37

cyberal wrote:This could be implemented together with a "locked on join" checkbox in favorite hubs!
yeah, good idea :)
jbyrd wrote:Something about this locking hub windows scares me. I guess what I would like to see is something to alert the user that the reason his window won't close is because it's locked.

Have any of you used AutoCAD? At the bottom of the screen there is a small dialog area; kind of like at the bottom left of internet explorer.

I would like to use that type of dialog to alert users what is going on. If they can't close their hub window, then it should tell them (in the bottom left hand corner) "Unlock Window To Close".

This same feature could be used to let people know that their search didn't go through (b/c of the 5 second rule).

Feel free to break this off as a separate thread, but I wanted to state my concerns in this topic.
yeah an alert when the tab is locked should be there (as i wrote in the first post too).... this could be in many ways, for example a sign in the tab(a key or lock would be nice, but maybe hard to put there if you only can have text there?).
another way is to write it under the userlist. under the userlist we have amout of users and total share...
another way of allering (maybe this is the easiest way to see that the tab is locked) is an allertmessage when you try to close it, just like the "confirmation on exit". it you try to close the tab a messages pops up ans says "The tab is locked, unlock it to close it" and then press ok. maybe an explanation on how to unlock it would be needed, but i dont think so because if you know how to lock it, you should know how to unlock it

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-29 15:36

or maybe that popup could say: "This tab is locked! Are you sure you wanna close it?" And then two buttons: "Close tab anyway!" & "No!"..

Twink

Post by Twink » 2003-07-29 17:41

nah no popup that could get annoying, I say just a message that pops up in main chat (visible to you only obviously) "*** Hub Window is locked, to close it please unlock it first" or something

TheNOP

Post by TheNOP » 2003-07-29 18:02

:idea: .
popup won't be annoying if it give the choice to get ride of it by noching or unnoching a box.
it also could not be missed like a message in buttom or message in main chat.
TheNOP

Have you read the FAQ?
Or the sticky ? It might give you idea.

Skrotnisse

Post by Skrotnisse » 2003-07-29 18:58

Twink wrote:nah no popup that could get annoying, I say just a message that pops up in main chat (visible to you only obviously) "*** Hub Window is locked, to close it please unlock it first" or something
and if i try to close ie a filelist? where can that message popup? :)

cyberal came up with a good solution to :)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-29 19:18

Skrotnisse wrote:and if i try to close ie a filelist? where can that message popup? :)
Why not prevent the closure of chat and PM windows only? Everything else you can open up again easily enough - public hubs, favorites, notepad, finished items, etc. a /lock and /unlock chat command is easier than something more elaborate.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-30 02:07

well, the main reason for this post i think was to lock hubs... and that popup won't be annoying.. it will only popup if you try to close a locked tab without unlocking it first.. I think the idea of having a chance to close the tab without having to unlock it is good.. it's just like the warning you get when you try to close DC itself!

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-07-30 07:57

I don't like popups. Notice is good, but popups stop you from doing anything in the background. I don't want anything beeping at me and asking me questions; then demanding an answer before I can finish what I was doing (typical woman-like behavior).

If you're going to do popups, you might as well have a simple checkbox in Settings to "Prompt before closing Hub windows". But nevermind. Don't use popups. :)

I like the padlock idea. I didn't see that in the original post. :oops: Yeah. I like that idea. I would also like an unlocked padlock when it's unlocked. Yeah. Cool.

Skrotnisse

Post by Skrotnisse » 2003-07-30 17:57

GargoyleMT wrote:
Skrotnisse wrote:and if i try to close ie a filelist? where can that message popup? :)
Why not prevent the closure of chat and PM windows only? Everything else you can open up again easily enough - public hubs, favorites, notepad, finished items, etc. a /lock and /unlock chat command is easier than something more elaborate.
yeah its easy to open public hubs and that stuff, but i just thaught that it would be easier (when programming) to make tabs "lockable"... for example, tabs have value 1, and then make it possible to lock all things with the value 1... hehe

jbyrd wrote:I don't like popups. Notice is good, but popups stop you from doing anything in the background.
this i want to know... when i gave the popup as example i was thinking about the notice that popups if you try to close dc++ and have checked the "confirm application exit". i want to know how you can get this while you are doing stuff in the background since this warning/notice/popup would show when you're trying to close the tab.

Twink

Post by Twink » 2003-07-30 18:08

my point was, if I accidently click close on a hub, I dont wanna have to click no to a popup (not that I accidently close hubs often). I'd rather have to do more work when I actually wanted to close the hub, ie unlock it then close it.

Skrotnisse

Post by Skrotnisse » 2003-07-30 18:23

Twink wrote:my point was, if I accidently click close on a hub, I dont wanna have to click no to a popup (not that I accidently close hubs often). I'd rather have to do more work when I actually wanted to close the hub, ie unlock it then close it.
but then, you dont have to lock it at all?

Twink

Post by Twink » 2003-07-30 20:40

well yeah you'd have to lock it before you can unlock it.