Don't search immediately with search for alternates.

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

When manually starting a search for alternates, I

use the results that i get the first tme around
29%
change the searchstring and send out another search
71%
must be drunk, because i'd never use that functionality when i'm sober
No votes

Total votes: 7

[KUN.NL]mepmuff

Don't search immediately with search for alternates.

Post by [KUN.NL]mepmuff » 2003-07-28 06:42

I'd like to see a slight change in the behaviour of the manually started search for alternates.

As this functionality is now, DC++ automatically sends out a search with a search string which is basically the whole filename. However, most similar files won't be found this way because there are always several filenames in use for the same file. This amounts to another search in which i've altered the searchstring to get beter results.

What i'd like to see is DC++ opening the search window as it does now, but not sending out the search. This way i don't have to count to 5 to avoid search-spamming, and some bandwith/cpu-time on the hubs and other users is saved.

I'd think this would be a slightly more elegant way for the search, but maybe i'm the only one who alters those searchstrings.....

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-28 08:09

Great suggestion!
i want this too!!
http://whyrar.omfg.se - Guide to RAR and DC behaviour!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-28 11:53

I think Search for Alternates should continue to behave exactly the same as it is now.

There's no harm suggesting a "Fill In Search Using These Values" (or shortened version) context choice in the Download Queue.

Oh, and please, no more polls. Sedulus requested such in the sticky for this topic.

[Rai]

Post by [Rai] » 2003-07-28 16:58

It would be handy if search for alternatives was shown in the DC++ tag as many hub owners may not want users to have this feature activated.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-28 19:39

[Rai] wrote:It would be handy if search for alternatives was shown in the DC++ tag as many hub owners may not want users to have this feature activated.
I'm sure the $Search string is pretty unique in autosearches - it doesn't do whitespace collapsing, and both the type and the extension should be in it. It's probably not easy to do with a script, especially not if you can't easily capture the first search by a user - or the first dozen. But scripting the behavior seems possible...?

How many other features could possibly go into the tag that hub owners would like to discourage? :) It could, in theory, get huge and unreadable.

distiller

Post by distiller » 2003-07-28 20:27

I agree the change is needed, as I need to change the search string as well every so often and then search again. It could cut the bandwidth needed for searching quite a bit.

To get up the window with the original search string and then having to press search is a lot better. Remember that searching takes up quite a bit of bandwidth on the client side as well, not only the hubs would benefit.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-29 01:02

[Rai] wrote:It would be handy if search for alternatives was shown in the DC++ tag as many hub owners may not want users to have this feature activated.
naah, this matter is easily handled with a hubscript.. just don't allow searches more than every X minutes... no need to make a fakable tag out of it!

distiller wrote:I agree the change is needed, as I need to change the search string as well every so often and then search again. It could cut the bandwidth needed for searching quite a bit.
agree fully, this is a change that will benefit everyone, but maybe there could be a setting for the search behaviour, some ppl might like it the way it is.. and might also get confused and think DC++ is not working correctly if it suddenly changed behaviour!

Regarding the matter of these 10/5 seconds search timeouts. I undestand the hubowners need it, search strings represent a large amount of the total bandwidth used. I would like a feature that make this thingy less irritating clientside, an own search timeout.. it would work like this.
* I set my client search timeout to 10 seconds.
* I do a search which immediatly triggers my search timer, ciunting down from 10.
* After 6 seconds i do another search, which isn't sent until my timer is on 0.

This will have this effect:
1. The hub don't have to recieve and handle abusive searches.
2. The hub don't have to answer all the abusive searches with "Ignored, 10 second timeout".
3. I don't have to wait for my search results to come up, not yet knowing it have been ignored.
4. I don't have to research again only to find that I once again was to fast and my second search have been ignored also!!

so.. watcha think?
http://whyrar.omfg.se - Guide to RAR and DC behaviour!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

Wisp

Post by Wisp » 2003-07-30 17:03