mathc share?

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

vonork

mathc share?

Post by vonork » 2003-07-21 14:40

Okay we have “match queue� that check to see if it can add an extra source to download from... but only if you have the file

I would love an extension to that feature/or new feature. To check someone’s share with my share and download files he shares and I don’t (also an check with my queue so I don't get multiple downloads here in diff directories)

A nice touch to the feature would be if you could stand in a specific directory (or mark some files / directories) in someone’s share and only checked that (with sub directories) against my share/queue.

[KUN.NL]mepmuff

Post by [KUN.NL]mepmuff » 2003-07-21 16:32

Personally i can't see any use to that feature. i think it would get me more crap than useful stuff, and to top it all i would be hogging a slot while collecting it.

A practical problem that will pop up is that dc++ can only use filenames and filesize to determine matches, so you could very well end up downloadinf loads of stuff you already have only with a different filename, encoding or bitrate to name a few...

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-21 18:41

I've seen this in other forms before, but I think this task:

a) Doesn't fit the profile of the way many people use DC++
b) Is a task best done with the human mind, to prevent wasteful usage of resources.

Who's mod might have a feature that fits this bill, roughly:
readmewho.txt wrote:- CSV Adder!. The interface is a bit primitive right now, but it works. Didn't
test it with all combination of CSV files and download/temporary paths.
Maybe ECSV files with strange paths or lack of "" may fail. If so, send me
a CSV, the user's filelist, and tell me your DC++ dl path and temporary dl path.

vonork

Post by vonork » 2003-07-22 02:22

I say the opposite, I download a lot of files I already have cuz if someone share say 60GB of files in an area of your interested it so time consuming to sit and try to find witch you have/don't have... an auto check here would be nice. Now I don't have to stamina to check it but download the whole directory from them and as the files is downloaded to my computer I see witch I have or don't have.

I say a feture like this would free resources(less dubble download) and time(no manual check).

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-22 02:42

and WHY in gods name are you going to download ALL the files he have??? I do NOT understand it! Why are you going to sit and take up slots loading a bunch of crap you will never use, when someone else that REALLY want something from the guy can have that slot instead?? What I think you need is to turn off dc for a while and get back to your real life... this is not healthy!!
http://whyrar.omfg.se - Guide to RAR and DC behaviour!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

vonork

Post by vonork » 2003-07-22 04:16

Not ALL of someone’s files, only the ones I'm interested in... now people share a lot in areas that one might find interesting(ex mp3, mv, movies), and this would help you to see what files they share that you already have.

Files I download is files I want - sure some files might not be used but most - now if you could show me how to delete the files I'm not interested in while at the same time stay in hubs with high shares I would be thankful, but I guess that’s a separate problem the inflation of shares & hubs minimum share..

Btw, I do want to spend less time with DC, that's why I ask for this feature. Cuz I don't have the stamina to sit by the computer and look exactly witch files I do have and don't... So I download the directory with interesting files and get out and sit in the sun reading a book or something much more fun.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-07-22 04:28

[KUN.NL]mepmuff wrote:A practical problem that will pop up is that dc++ can only use filenames and filesize to determine matches, so you could very well end up downloadinf loads of stuff you already have only with a different filename, encoding or bitrate to name a few...
vonork: You haven't responded to this point yet, which I think is quite an important one. Until hashing is implemented, there's no way to stop downloading versions of a file that you already have, but with a different name and filesize.

The more I hear about what you want, the more it sounds like the telepathic interface I described somewhere here recently. :)
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

vonork

Post by vonork » 2003-07-22 05:42

TheParanoidOne wrote:
[KUN.NL]mepmuff wrote:A practical problem that will pop up is that dc++ can only use filenames and filesize to determine matches, so you could very well end up downloadinf loads of stuff you already have only with a different filename, encoding or bitrate to name a few...
vonork: You haven't responded to this point yet, which I think is quite an important one. Until hashing is implemented, there's no way to stop downloading versions of a file that you already have, but with a different name and filesize.
Sure, that would be a problem that still would exist, but some files would be removed(and I believe there is a lot of redundant downloading so it would ease the load)... but to really be able to use the feature to it's full length you would have to be able to make a list of files you don't want to download(ex: you have a file of a better Q and cuz of that DC can't tell that you don't want the file with a lesser Q it will download it... instead of only removing it and risk having it downloaded again you would need a way to add this file with it's name and size to a list that DC also check against.)

Still without these parts of the feature active it would remove some files... and that’s better then none.
TheParanoidOne wrote:The more I hear about what you want, the more it sounds like the telepathic interface I described somewhere here recently. :)
Sound nice, please implement that feature instead. Please, it would not be so hard now would it :)

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-07-22 08:02

Good Grief! :?
vonork wrote: I download a lot of files I already have cuz if someone share say 60GB of files in an area of your interested it so time consuming to sit and try to find witch you have/don't have
If you're not sure what you have, you have too much stuff. People like you...nevermind. I won't get off on a rant.
vonork wrote:Not ALL of someone’s files, only the ones I'm interested in... now people share a lot in areas that one might find interesting(ex mp3, mv, movies), and this would help you to see what files they share that you already have.
Just the one's you're interested in? How do you know that you're interested in them if you don't look through them? MP3's-Movies!!! Just because it says "MP3" on the directory doesn't mean it's your style.

If you have so much CRAP on your computer that you don't know what you have/don't have, you need to lay off the dc++ for a while. Take a moment, and search through your drives. Get acquainted with your downloads. Take a minute and actually use them. Listen to your mp3's and watch your movies. It sounds like you need to seek professional help.

Look, I know what you're going to say. "Hey, I already click on entire folders and download them...I just want a filter that will tell me if I already have it or not!"

I don't care. You're ABUSING DC. You are using VALUABLE BANDWIDTH and HOGGING SLOTS. Blindly downloading files is a waste. Use the *Search* feature that is provided with the program. Type in something that you want (like a PARTICULAR movie) and see what turns up.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-22 08:06

jbyrd: AGREE!
*grrrr*
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-07-22 08:22

vonork wrote:Sound nice, please implement that feature instead. Please, it would not be so hard now would it :)
Sure. Just send me your brain for testing and analysis and I'll get right on it. :D

DC++ Guide | Words

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-07-22 08:23

vonork wrote:Sound nice, please implement that feature instead. Please, it would not be so hard now would it :)
Sure. Just send me your brain for testing and analysis and I'll get right on it. :D

DC++ Guide | Words

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-07-22 08:35

I think that you did a good thing by double posting...the point really needs to get across. :)

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-07-22 09:01

Oh dear. The Double Post Demon strikes. :shock:

DC++ Guide | Words

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-22 10:52

jbyrd wrote:I don't care. You're ABUSING DC. You are using VALUABLE BANDWIDTH and HOGGING SLOTS. Blindly downloading files is a waste.
This bears repeating

[KUN.NL]mepmuff

Post by [KUN.NL]mepmuff » 2003-07-22 10:59

GargoyleMT wrote:
jbyrd wrote:I don't care. You're ABUSING DC. You are using VALUABLE BANDWIDTH and HOGGING SLOTS. Blindly downloading files is a waste.
This bears repeating
Your wish is my command...

vonork

Post by vonork » 2003-07-22 19:04

So how mush do you all share, that only have things you use daily and can remember exactly...

Yes I might have downloaded some files I won't use, regarding MV(mp3, some perhaps but mostly I only download artist I'm interested in to see if I shall buy the record.) but I do use many of them and I find it nice to be able to share files to others that might be interested to find them.

However your advice makes me a bit puzzled, at the same time you are telling me to get a life and spend less time with DC and then you tell me to spend more time with DC to search around for spec filenames. It doesn’t match... or perhaps you rather see me take my share and go to hell? But if you find it so offensive that I like to gather MV that I use instead of mp3 to listen to then I apologize. I did not realize that my behaviour was so unaccepted.

btw, I would not mind to remove some movies I have on my HD, but the good hubs I have found keep on raising the minimum share... so if you can point me to the hubs you obvious are using that only require small share or perhaps no minimum and where you still can find the latest stuff, I would not mind going there. Cuz I do find the inflation in shares a bit over the top as mentioned before.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-23 09:24

I have a share of 300-700 GB depending on what hub I'm in. I know EXACTLY what I share.. thats the whole point!

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-23 16:03

vonork wrote:However your advice makes me a bit puzzled, at the same time you are telling me to get a life and spend less time with DC and then you tell me to spend more time with DC to search around for spec filenames. It doesn’t match...
Any algorithm designed to download everything that you don't have will fail. Different codecs in movies, compression levels in RAR, ZIP, JPEG, MP3, different rippers for APE/SHN, all will duplicate content. This will never, as far as I'm concerned, be a good idea to implement in DC++ proper.

Your brain does a far better job of seeing what's different than DC++ ever will or can. When it fails, you will be wasting plenty of bandwidth - something that I, as a 128kbit upload user, find very wasteful.

I don't think any true collector will need such a feature. ;)

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-24 01:04

GargoyleMT wrote:I don't think any true collector will need such a feature. ;)
Great finish line!

vonork

Post by vonork » 2003-07-24 06:23

cyberal wrote:I have a share of 300-700 GB depending on what hub I'm in. I know EXACTLY what I share.. thats the whole point!
You impress me, but sadly that kind of memory is not something most people have. Sure if I sat down and took a lot of time, perhaps it would be possible for me - but I got other things to do.

I only though it would be easier to see what you don't have from someone’s share if you could filter files & directories. Even though some dups still would be left it would make it easier to browse around if 10-30% could be removed. (any impression of me downloading peoples hole shares is however wrong, I sometimes find directories with a lot of things I want and only though it would be easier if any dups that could be removed was so... I guess I was wrong)
GargoyleMT wrote:I don't think any true collector will need such a feature. :wink:
GargoyleMT: 1
vonork: 0

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-24 11:15

vonork wrote:
GargoyleMT wrote:I don't think any true collector will need such a feature. :wink:
GargoyleMT: 1
vonork: 0
Hell, it's a wonderful feature, in theory. If everyone was organized and had the same "release" of files, it would even be implementable and workable. However, to me (for I only speak for myself - not Arne or anyone else), I don't think it can be coded in a reasonably intelligent or efficient way. E.G. It's technically impossible to do it "the right way." [where there are no duplicates downloaded, no false positives or negatives]. Someone might want to code it still, but I don't think it belongs in DC++ proper.

Can we let it die, and request/talk about workable features instead?