Rattle Arnetheducks Cage

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

WGI

Rattle Arnetheducks Cage

Post by WGI » 2003-07-20 20:45

How about saving window positions? All windows... :lol:
We ALL want it!!!

Cheers,
WGI :wink:
Gamble, have fun & make money @ https://worldgamesinc.com/aktier
Signup Code: 268581

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Rattle Arnetheducks Cage

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-21 10:54

It depends on what you expect. For instance, Search, PM, and Hub windows are all used multiple times in the application. How do you expect saving window positions to work in conjunction with that?

(Unless you explain fully, if you get the feature, it might not be what you want.)

WGI

Post by WGI » 2003-07-21 11:16

The good part of not being a computer programmer is that
I'm not limited by technical knowledge.
As a user I have a problem and want it solved. I don't care
how it's solved that's the computer programmers problem.

I know that many, many, many, many, maannyyyy :wink:
applications has this feature why not DC++???

All users have their own way to organize windows layout in DC++
why must we do this every time we start the application?
It's a waist of time but we must do it every time all the same!!!

If you can tell the different windows apart you can also tell their
settings apart. It doesn't sound like a difficult problem. A good
brain storm would almost certainly solve the this in a smart manner.

If you want to do something you can... If we can put a man on the
moon Arnetheduck can save some window positions. :D

Cheers,
WGI

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Re: Rattle Arnetheducks Cage

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-07-21 11:32

GargoyleMT wrote:(Unless you explain fully, if you get the feature, it might not be what you want.)
WGI: I think you should have paid heed to this line a bit more. You may have added more words, but that didn't increase the clarity of the request. Perhaps an example might help?

Also, I think you might want to change the attitude from "I want this now. I don't care how/whether it's possible. Just do it!" to "Here is the specific feature I would like. Can you do this please?" and then the feasibility will be discussed and possible implementations.
WGI wrote:I'm not limited by technical knowledge.
As a user I have a problem and want it solved. I don't care
Well, I want a telepathic interface. DC++ should be able to read my mind and download the files that I'm thinking of. I don't care how it's done. That's the computer programmers problem.

Do you see my point? When you have no power over the programmer (eg financial) then an attitude like that will *not* get your feature implemented.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-21 11:44

WGI wrote:As a user I have a problem and want it solved. I don't care
Yes, that's exactly the point of my request. I'm not asking you how you want the feature coded. I'm asking you how you expect it to behave.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-21 12:08

hm, I don't understand ppl that run dc++ and not have the windows maximized, why all the trouble keeping track of all the small windows? The tabs are there for a reason you know!

I do however, want the columns in the "public hubs"-list to be saved. As it is today, I pull the addy column to the right to be able to see the complete addy. When I enter next time it's back at its previous position!
http://whyrar.omfg.se - Guide to RAR and DC behaviour!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-21 12:33

cyberal wrote:As it is today, I pull the addy column to the right to be able to see the complete addy
Save yourself time: double-click the separator in the header - it will auto-size the column to the left.

WGI

Post by WGI » 2003-07-21 12:33

Well, first of all I apologize if I have offended anyone.

ParanoidOne:
My statement is not personal but general from a users point
of view. A user doesn't give a rats ass how hard a feature
is to implement as long as he gets it... this is my experience
from many years working in the business... I personally have
no attitude so it doesn't need changing. This software is free
and as long as it is free no one can DEMAND anything from
the guy developing it. We can make request and hope for the
best.
Regarding that "telepathic interface". Now you are talking like
a 'super user'!!! ;-)

All:
Now, how do I want it to function?
Well, if I put the download window in the lower right corner
when I shut DC++ down, that's where I want it when I re-start
DC++ again. And it should look the same w. colums and tree
folder. Same thing with the other "small" windows. That's it.

Now I only hope I havn't stepped on any more toes...

Cheers,
WGI

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-21 12:56

Well that was better. Certainly, all windows that can appear on DC++'s startup can be checked to retain column sizes, orders, and windows positions. What about windows that cannot appear on startup - PMs, and Searches, for instance. Do you expect those to retain state as well?

WGI

Post by WGI » 2003-07-21 12:58

No, they pop up just fine... :-)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-21 13:00

WGI wrote:No, they pop up just fine... :-)
Okay, that's all that I needed to consider the feature request complete. :)

Twink

Post by Twink » 2003-07-22 20:41

cyberal wrote:hm, I don't understand ppl that run dc++ and not have the windows maximized, why all the trouble keeping track of all the small windows? The tabs are there for a reason you know!

I do however, want the columns in the "public hubs"-list to be saved. As it is today, I pull the addy column to the right to be able to see the complete addy. When I enter next time it's back at its previous position!
I keep 2 hub windows on screen at all time, not hard to keep track of two conversations and annoying to flick between them. Other hubs I usually minimize and visit occasionally. Then I also have finished downloads and favourite users always open at the bottom of my screen, so I can see who I have slots granted to (i use bcdc so fav users can be used as a better slot granter - ie u can't un grant a slot easily or see who u have slots granted to in dc++) So 4 windows open the whole time, I can see them all and its not hard to keep track of whats going on. Maximizing means flicking between windows more and wasting space on one window. No hub I'm in has so much text scrolling that I need more then 10 lines to keep up with the chat.

Twink

Post by Twink » 2003-07-22 20:45

Damn I forgot to add things that I would like. Like size and position of fav users, finished up/down. And maybe a option to minimize a hub on connect (in favs). Also Fav users to show on startup however that isn't much good for normal dc++ as this window doesn't have alot of functionality.

Melkor

Post by Melkor » 2003-07-25 17:59

WGI wrote:I don't care how it's solved that's the computer programmers problem.
I have been programing for years, but when somebody doesn't even have the curtasy to tell me how they want something change, that makes me mad. This isn't a feature request, this is a complaint. And in the world of freeware, you don't complain, because thats when the programers leave. (being a user of litestep & proxomitron, it's no fun when your programers leave)

Ignored this users ingorance and please stay. :(

Ldc

Post by Ldc » 2003-07-26 08:59

Hi...

This would be a great feature... Just read trough it and it's not so clear
on how it should behave..

One way to do it...

All "non-dynamic" windows ie hubs, favoritehubs, adlsearch etc should save the configuration (position, size, tab-size)

Might even be good to have a configurationtab for this also so you can choose on what windows that the settings should be saved.

About the searchwindows.
I think it would be good to have one small thing about them that should be saved and that is the size+tab's, but not position.
And then also, if no other searchwindows are open it should just popup in the middle of the screen.
Might be good to have this on pm's also.

Could probebly be done by using the favorites for the hub-windows and then just add an xml entry to all those that just say, position, size, tab.
And on the other windows it would probebly just end up in the main xml-config.

One thing thoe. When saving those positions it should also save the size of the dc++ main window, and if that window would change when starting dc++ again it should reset all the windows to the default positioning (but not do anything with the tab-settings).
I have used to many programs that save windowpositions and when changing resolution it will put windows outside the screen etc and that is really annoying.

Keep up the good work!

And Hope Twink learned something from this post =)

WGI

Post by WGI » 2003-07-27 04:24

Melkor wrote: I have been programing for years, but when somebody doesn't even have the curtasy to tell me how they want something change, that makes me mad. This isn't a feature request, this is a complaint. And in the world of freeware, you don't complain, because thats when the programers leave. (being a user of litestep & proxomitron, it's no fun when your programers leave)

Ignored this users ingorance and please stay. :(
Melkor,
if you had read the entire thread you would have seen my note to
ParanoidOne.

Cheers,
WGI

Twink

Post by Twink » 2003-07-27 05:38

Ldc wrote:And Hope Twink learned something from this post =)
eh?, learn something now why would I do a think like that :wink: