OnTheFly SFV-creation, please hear my on this serious idé

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

3ddA

OnTheFly SFV-creation, please hear my on this serious idé

Post by 3ddA » 2003-07-18 07:58

SFV-verification is great, when the SFV-file exist, the problem is that it normally is no SFV-file.

What I propose is that on download client A can ask client B to calculate a SFV-file OnTheFly and then send it back. Since SFV-calculation takes some time the calculated SFV can be cached by client B in case any other user should want SFV-checksum for the same file(s).

An extra option could determine if the client should ask for and save the SFV-file when downloading.

This solution avoids the problem of calculating the SFV at directory scan or at startup like Napster did. Still it will introduce overhead when starting transfer of large files but with caching the problem would be smaller. Anyway calculating the SFV is much faster than transfering the file!

Part 2:
Then a search function to search for a specific CRC would be nice, if you have a broken dl, or a missing file but have the SFV-file it would be easy to find the exact same file and dl it again.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-18 08:46

http://whyrar.omfg.se - Guide to RAR and DC behaviour!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: OnTheFly SFV-creation, please hear my on this serious id

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-19 15:02

3ddA wrote:SFV-verification is great, when the SFV-file exist, the problem is that it normally is no SFV-file.
Your solution may cause some problems. It will enable people to tell that the file wasn't corrupted in transfers. However, it will mislead users into thinking that the file was uncorrupted from the original release. That's the primary purpose of SFV files, in my experience.

Hashes are a better solution to both points. If you have a proper file hash, you can look it up on bitzi.com - many anime fansubs already verify releases (and comment on bad/corrupted/misnamed versions that claim to be their release).