grant slots in your favorite hubb

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

[MASTER]Spookie

grant slots in your favorite hubb

Post by [MASTER]Spookie » 2003-01-05 04:32

this would be graet to have.
Grants slots in your favorite hub.
h:3:s:9:granted slots:3

Nev
Programmer

Post by Nev » 2003-01-05 07:56

ooh.. my favourite topic. Watch out arne, here we go again!

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-01-05 08:23

auto-grant slots? or show how many slots has been exchanged in the hub?

Drawbacks auto-grant:
Many hubs have max-slots rules which will make this useless unless you can set max number of total slots.

To only Display is also useless:
What should you do with that information? if the client/user can't control slots / hub. Is it his/her fault that hubA uses all slots?

There will be lots of logic to try get into a gui that isn't that easy, ex:
max slots = min(max(slots for all hubs)) should never be crossed.
min slots = max(min(slots for all hubs)) should never be crossed.

i can write more equations if you want, but it might turn into an almost empty set of slots dedications ;))
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

Nev
Programmer

Post by Nev » 2003-01-05 09:00

I read this as he wanted 'dedicated slots'

Iceman[grrrr]
Forum Moderator

Post by Iceman[grrrr] » 2003-01-05 09:40

but that's equivalent of having a different number of slots for each hub...

that has some good and some bad...

example of the bad side... you which to download something from someone who has free slots but none in the hub you are... and it could be worse... DC++ has problems with users in many hubs you are (try granting a slot to one of them for example), then you want to download from someone who has no slots for the hub 1 but you are also in hub 2 and he has slots in this hub, currently I dno't think DC will try every hub but only the first one it finds the person.
DC++ QoS Person

Nev
Programmer

Post by Nev » 2003-01-05 11:11

Well, if the upload limit thread is a cry for the ones with slow connections on slow hubs, this dedicated slots thingy is a cry for us with fast connections connected to 10mbit only hubs.

You see, 10mbit hubs do have slot rules aswell. Typically 3 slot min and a 3 slot per hub ratio. If a user is connected to 2 hubs and have 6 slots, all occupied, other 10mbit users can expect a slot to be free in like 1 hour at most. But when a user on a 10mbit hub connects to a hub with slow users, like adsl, then over time they will 'take up' or 'steal' all 6 slots and keep them for hours and even days at a time. Not 'might', but 'will'! The effect is that even though the user potentially have 6 slots available on the 10mbit hub, in practice, none is available.

Some few users exploit this fact and always enter a slow hub first, making sure the slots are filled with 5-20kb/sec users before entering the 10mbit hub, and 'manufactures' an upload flow of maybe 200kb/sec, leaving 800kb/sec available for downloading. Most 10mbit users however do believe this is cheating and simply stay clear of adsl hubs.

The net effect is that 10mbit hubs are not as good as they could be but also that people with fast and reliable connections stay far away from other, slower, hubs.

Now if a user could dedicate 3 slots to the 10mbit hub things would be better. The 10mbit hub could be scripted as requiring users to dedicate 3 slots and users could hang on adsl hubs without getting all slots filled.

I believe that if this was implemented you would see much more 10mbit users on adsl hubs.