DC++ Decription Tag as a Prefix??

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

OLDoMiNiON

DC++ Decription Tag as a Prefix??

Post by OLDoMiNiON » 2003-07-09 08:16

As an OP, it occured to me today - that since, quite likely the only people who use description tags are OPs, why not put the Tag at the start of the description, rather than at the end..? This way the OP can simply sort the description column by order, and seek out any abnormalities fairly easily - without having to look for the relevant information amongst all the crap that some people put there! ;)

What do other OPs think?

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-09 08:46

As an OP I would love this change, as you say it would be very easy to sort out abnormalities. BUT the description field is not meant to be used like this, if this were to be changed I think an option to hide the description tag should be implemented. Hide it in other users description fields that is!

As you say OPs are probably the only ones ever looking in the description tag, why bother other users with it, should be fairly simple to exclude it..
http://whyrar.omfg.se - Guide to RAR and DC behaviour!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

ender

Post by ender » 2003-07-09 09:51

If the description tags were put in front, their format would have to be changed - currently the (good) scripts read the last tag in the description, because some users fake their tag by inserting it into their description. If the tag was now moved in front, these scripts would break...

qqzm

Post by qqzm » 2003-07-09 09:52

Or you could modify your client to split the description into two columns with the actual description displayed in one and the dc++ tag displayed in the other.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-09 10:28

qqzm wrote:Or you could modify your client to split the description into two columns with the actual description displayed in one and the dc++ tag displayed in the other.
This is the best suggestion.

Twink

Post by Twink » 2003-07-09 22:57

which also means that if someone doens't have a <++ description, u could see if they have a nmdc2 tag and display that (not really sure how the new nmdc thing works) but $GetNetInfo and “$NetInfo SLOTS$HUBS$ACTIVE|� seems similar enuf

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-10 11:05

Twink wrote:which also means that if someone doens't have a <++ description, u could see if they have a nmdc2 tag and display that (not really sure how the new nmdc thing works) but $GetNetInfo and “$NetInfo SLOTS$HUBS$ACTIVE|� seems similar enuf
the NMDC 2.01 tag looks identical to a BCDC tag - <DC V:2.01,M:x,H:x/x/x,S:x,B:x>, appended to your description. This is from memory.
$GetNetInfo doesn't work (seemingly) in client to client - it's only available to the hub.

[PT]Devilishly

Re: DC++ Decription Tag as a Prefix??

Post by [PT]Devilishly » 2003-07-11 15:06

OLDoMiNiON wrote:As an OP, it occured to me today - that since, quite likely the only people who use description tags are OPs, why not put the Tag at the start of the description, rather than at the end..? This way the OP can simply sort the description column by order, and seek out any abnormalities fairly easily - without having to look for the relevant information amongst all the crap that some people put there! ;)

What do other OPs think?
In oDC we can use these searches in user list: Nick, Shared, Description, Connection, email and any. If it would also inserted there the parameter Tag, this should do what you’re asking for.

Best regards,
[PT]Devilishly

iK

Post by iK » 2003-07-13 21:00

GargoyleMT wrote:
Twink wrote:which also means that if someone doens't have a <++ description, u could see if they have a nmdc2 tag and display that (not really sure how the new nmdc thing works) but $GetNetInfo and “$NetInfo SLOTS$HUBS$ACTIVE|� seems similar enuf
the NMDC 2.01 tag looks identical to a BCDC tag - <DC V:2.01,M:x,H:x/x/x,S:x,B:x>, appended to your description. This is from memory.
$GetNetInfo doesn't work (seemingly) in client to client - it's only available to the hub.
actually... the BCDC++ tag without any client emulation/custom description format looks like any other DC++ tag, just with B:x slapped onto the end...

<++ V:x,M:x,H:x/x/x,S:x,B:x>

But it only appears if you're using the bandwidth limiter.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-19 13:11

iK wrote:actually... the BCDC++ tag without any client emulation/custom description format looks like any other DC++ tag, just with B:x slapped onto the end...
Yes. Jon Hess used the same format as BCDC when it's emulating itself... Since the only change is the addition of the B: bandwidth reporting tag. He changed the ++ to DC, but that's expected, since it's how pyDC, DCGUI, and QuickDC all work.

Is that not what I said?

Dj_Offset

Post by Dj_Offset » 2003-07-29 10:35

All in all, I consider the description field to be quite useless...

I'm considering removing (not showing) it for future releases, since it's only a "mess" anyway.

Same thing with the email field.
Not many people use it, and when they do, they only show some crappy hotmail address anyway... perhaps I could show the fields if you right click on somebody... but I don't know... ;)
I wrote QuickDC - A DC++ compatible client for Linux and FreeBSD.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-29 13:32

Why remove the tag, it is used by many and is easily hidden, and so is the e-mail field? Don't see a problem here. This thread is out of date btw. the description tag has it's own column now.. no need to put it "first in the description".
http://whyrar.omfg.se - Guide to RAR and DC behaviour!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet