Encrypted transfers

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

zmodem

Encrypted transfers

Post by zmodem » 2003-07-04 06:53

One really big, important and cool feature of DC++ would be the ability to encrypt file transfers and PM's (and maybe even the main chat and searches).

There are plenty of open source cryptography libs out there so it shouldn't be that hard to implement, should it?

I picture it like this: in the setup I get to choose which algorithm I prefer and to generate a public and private key of a size that I decide. I then choose if I want to (a. allow, b. deny all, or c. ask me) non-encrypted uploads and downloads respectively.

So when a guy wants to download a file from me, my client checks in his description if he allows encrypted downloads... if he does, my client asks him for his public key and sends the file encrypted... if he doesen't, the client checks which preferences I have set.

As simple as that... it seems like a great idea to me but I'm not a developer so I'll haveto leave it to you C++ gurus.

Plz, this is an important feature and it would make DC++ such a great (well it actually is great already but anyway...) file sharing utility

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-07-04 07:00

I'm sure Sed is going to come along and remove this poll ...

There are already a number of threads talking about the pros and cons of adding encryption to DC++ such as this one. Search term highlighted.

Please find and read them.

FYI, public key encryption for large amounts of data is hideously expensive! :shock:
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2003-07-04 07:17

TheParanoidOne wrote:I'm sure Sed is going to come along and remove this poll ...
I'm predictable, am I not? ;)

topic closed.. please reply to the post TheParanoidOne was so kind to look up for you.

if the senseless polling continues, I'll start deleting whole threads *grmbl*

/sed
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-04 10:04

Sedulus wrote:topic closed.. please reply to the post TheParanoidOne was so kind to look up for you.
He was a bit more thorough in his post than many people requesting features.
zmodem wrote:There are plenty of open source cryptography libs out there so it shouldn't be that hard to implement, should it?
Yes, it can. Of all the developers, cologic is the only one I've seen who has tried to integrate an encryption library into DC++. The MS SSL library has some down sides, GnuTLS doesn't compile on windows yet. He's tried Zebdee as well.

Cya.