uploaded files

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

CyberPhobia

uploaded files

Post by CyberPhobia » 2003-07-01 15:00

ive had a look for this and cant find it, is there anyway to keep a log of all uploaded files, before and after a restart, if there isnt, what the chances of it bein considered?

TIA
of all the things ive lost, i miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

dchub://cyberphobia.no-ip.info

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-07-01 15:08

How hard did you look? Settings --> Logs and Sound --> Log Uploads.

It's not exactly a deeply buried option.

Is that what you were after? The "before and after restart" bit confused me.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

Charalambos

Post by Charalambos » 2003-07-01 15:19

TheParanoidOne wrote:The "before and after restart" bit confused me.
I think he meant not as the "finished downloads" and "finished uploads" windows in dc++ that are cleared everytime you restart dc.
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it.
-Mary Wilson Little

CyberPhobia

Post by CyberPhobia » 2003-07-01 16:53

yeah, sorry maybe i should of made that a bit clearer, yes i know you can log all uploads and downloads, but i was just curious if there was a way for them not to be wiped from the uploads and downloads windows within DC++ whenever you restart the program

is that any clearer?

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-07-01 17:03

CyberPhobia wrote:is that any clearer?
Much. :)

How much would you actually want to keep in the window? The last X lines? All?

If the former, then that's another piece of information that needs to be saved and reloaded by DC++. Seems redundant saving that information when you can turn logging on.

If the latter, then I guess it would make sense to be able to parse the upload log and display it. I would imagine that would slow down startup significantly though!

Having thought about it, I guess you could have the best of both worlds - parse the last X lines from the upload log, perhaps.

Which of these options is closest to what you are after?

DC++ Guide | Words

CyberPhobia

Post by CyberPhobia » 2003-07-01 17:14

well an option to keep as much as you want, say the last day, 2 days, 3 daysi m not really sure, if i had it my way i would keep all logs, but like you said that would hinder the loadin of DC++

just somethin you can get from the uploads log really, since that keeps a log of everythin uploaded

if it is read from the uploads log then it doesnt hinder the startup of the program, since its readin from an external source

im not really sure, anyone else got some ideas on this?

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-07-01 17:48

CyberPhobia wrote:if it is read from the uploads log then it doesnt hinder the startup of the program, since its readin from an external source
Actually, no. There will be a CPU hit to load and parse the log file. Doesn't matter where it is read from.

I would imagine that it would be longer than the delay caused at startup in generating the file list. Of course, it would depend on the log size.

If you want to keep all the logs, a better alternative might be an internal log viewer. It would be laid out using the same columns as the finished uploads. The difference would be that you would go into it, knowing that it might take a while to load. The finished uploads/downloads can then be left as they are, to just quickly show what has happened in the current session.

Ulike the raw log file, the log window could be sorted by the appropriate criteria (column). I guess you could also do things like filtering and summing and ... I should stop before I get carried away. I like the log window idea! :)

What do you think of it?

DC++ Guide | Words

CyberPhobia

Post by CyberPhobia » 2003-07-02 02:59

anyone else got some ideas on this? if so please let us know

CyberPhobia

Post by CyberPhobia » 2003-07-02 07:05

TheParanoidOne wrote:a better alternative might be an internal log viewer.
yeah that would work, but couldnt you script that into the uploads windows as it is now?
TheParanoidOne wrote:the log window could be sorted by the appropriate criteria (column). I guess you could also do things like filtering and summing and ...
good thought, but how would you decide how and which filters to use? just the normal ones, date, time, user, filename, hub

ive got 0 coding skills, im graspin at straws, takin a stab in the dark, etc

it would be better if other people chucked some suggestions in, there might be some really good ones out there

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-04 11:51

CyberPhobia wrote:anyone else got some ideas on this? if so please let us know
I've seen this request before, and I coded the Finished Uploads feature (though it was not much work since I just copied the Finished Downloads window.) This feature has no appeal to me, and gets into one of the messiest areas of programming (in my opinion): parsing text filess. The Uploads.log is customizable, and the log format can change at any time, so the patch would have to robustly handle any and all format changes.

In addition, the window's list is re-created every time you open it, so every time you close and open the Finished Uploads folder, you'd have to parse the log... Unless you read it into the FinishedManager on startup.

It's a lot more trouble than it's worth, to me, but someone else might be persuaded to code it.

Coder

Post by Coder » 2004-09-26 03:58

What is the syntax for logging ? eg in earlier versions of dc++ i used this

%Y-%m-%d %H:%M: %[filename] downloaded from %[user], %[size] (%[chunksize]), %[speed], %[time]

but now some items eg the path/filename aren't in the logs...

is there a list of alle possible variables?

Many thx

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-09-26 04:44

Coder wrote:is there a list of alle possible variables?
It's documented in the readme.

DC++ Guide | Words