Multiple Search Results From A Whole Network in DC++ To!!

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

bboy1980

Multiple Search Results From A Whole Network in DC++ To!!

Post by bboy1980 » 2003-01-22 16:27

I (and many with me) would VERY much like to have the only Feature that is really good in the ordinary NeoModus DC Client also in DC++ Client.

The Feature i'm talking about is in the Advanced search box in NMDC. There is an option "Search All Hubs On This Network" that i find very useful. Why is this simple Feature not in dc++ ? I don't want to connect to 5 hubs in the same network & be forced to share 15 upload-slots just to search what's there!

This feature really should be in dc++. Especially for those many users that are connected to hubs in a bigger network!

Thanx for this chance to make my voice heard! :)

Erroneus

nope

Post by Erroneus » 2003-01-23 16:07

I disagree, the will produce alot of traffic in hubs.

aDe
Forum Moderator

Re: nope

Post by aDe » 2003-01-23 17:32

Erroneus wrote:I disagree, the will produce alot of traffic in hubs.
nah, the hub just sends out an active search, and the results go client<->client so, not very much bandwidth on hub.

KeithK

Post by KeithK » 2003-01-23 17:47

I'd like to see this feature implemented also.
ttyl...
KeithK

yilard

Post by yilard » 2003-01-24 10:25

The problem is not the amount of search result itself, but the CPU load such whole network searches may put onto clients.
In the age of super-boredom/hype and mediocrity/celebrate relentlessness/menace to society --KMFDM

LinkSync

Its all good...

Post by LinkSync » 2003-01-26 04:04

As long as u give me an option to hold my files off the global search list.
If u want what i got come join the fun in our hub and kick back and get to know folks.
If your in a hurry and just want the files with no backtalk etc.
go to Tesla or Kazaa or whatever...
:)
global search is just a way for the lawyers in the world to find u
that being said the moglo one seems pretty good if u are into that sort of thing....
LMAO
TREEHOUSE.dns2go.com:411
[email protected]
Good Warez LINKS @ www.tree-house.info

bboy1980

Re: Its all good...

Post by bboy1980 » 2003-01-31 13:58

LinkSync wrote:As long as u give me an option to hold my files off the global search list.
If u want what i got come join the fun in our hub and kick back and get to know folks.
If your in a hurry and just want the files with no backtalk etc.
go to Tesla or Kazaa or whatever...
:)
global search is just a way for the lawyers in the world to find u
that being said the moglo one seems pretty good if u are into that sort of thing....
LMAO
I see u don't know what i'm talking about because that is not what i meant. Read my post again plz because i'm not talking about any "global search", I guess u only have been on isolated hubs. What i mean are those many hubs that are connected to each other in a private DC-network, often 3 hubs or more. And that's where it gets very handy with the feature i'm talking about, ...& it's is a very simple feature to.

yilard: Are you sure about that with high CPU-load on clients?

bboy1980

"On Strike" :)

Post by bboy1980 » 2003-02-20 11:47

..just wanted to say that i'm tired of that this simple & important feature haven't been implented yet so I have temporarely changed back to the ordinary and otherwise much worse "NeoModus DC-client" where this feature since long time back exists, ..cause this feature is just to good not to have!!

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: "On Strike" :)

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-20 20:43

bboy1980 wrote:..just wanted to say that i'm tired of that this simple & important feature haven't been implented yet so I have temporarely changed back to the ordinary and otherwise much worse "NeoModus DC-client" where this feature since long time back exists, ..cause this feature is just to good not to have!!
I believe Sarf may have implemented this in DC++k. I'm not sure if it uses the $MutiSearch and $MultiConnectToMe commands in the DC protocol, but it probably does.

See if you can find it on sourceforge's feature request forum. You might see a reason why Arne hasn't put it in the official DC++.

sarf

Re: "On Strike" :)

Post by sarf » 2003-02-21 14:44

GargoyleMT wrote:I believe Sarf may have implemented this in DC++k. I'm not sure if it uses the $MultiSearch and $MultiConnectToMe commands in the DC protocol, but it probably does.
Yes, it did use the "true" hub-networking commands, and it worked... "somewhat". I merely grafted on the multihub support, but anyone may download the sources and see how I did it. There are some quick'n'dirty hacks in there (using the returned server string to see if we are connected to a hub, for example) but it should work.

If you have any questions about it (specific questions, not about how to compile DC++) then PM me, and I'll put out relevant information in this thread if necessary.

Sarf
---
Kill two birds with one stone. Feed the homeless to the hungry.