Slot management !!!

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

dataholic

Slot management !!!

Post by dataholic » 2003-06-23 10:49

I always wanted to be able to control priority of downloads by simply dragging files up or down in a queue (like in audiognome). However, it seems to be impossible to have this feature in dc++.

Similar effect could be achieved by possibility to manage behavior of DOWNLOAD slots. I would love to be able to dedicate (reserve) a slot for:

1. dl from a certain user
2. dl of a certain file/folder
3. dl of a certain file category [same as "file type" in search].

It would be necessary to have an option to set max. waiting time if dedicated slot is unused before it will be set back to common [undedicated] slot. [after normally finished dl it is turned back immediately].

The method of changing common slot to dedicated one could be for instance by right-click performed on downloading file. Pop-up menu would give options: "snap" to user (just trying to find shortest possible word :), snap to file, snap to folder, snap to file category, un-snap.

Some indication of a fact that the slot is dedicated would be useful [in current dl window ] - a different text color most probably.

Looking forward to hear why it is not possible to implement this :))
Thanks guys [coders] for your great work done here anyway !!!

Charalambos

Re: Slot management !!!

Post by Charalambos » 2003-06-23 11:02

dataholic wrote:I always wanted to be able to control priority of downloads by simply dragging files up or down in a queue (like in audiognome). However, it seems to be impossible to have this feature in dc++.
This is already implemented:
You can set for each queued file its priority.
(Right click on file-->set priority-->["paused" to "highest"]
dataholic wrote:Similar effect could be achieved by possibility to manage behavior of DOWNLOAD slots. I would love to be able to dedicate (reserve) a slot for:
Why this?
You can download as many files in dc as you wish. Or did you mean upload slots?
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it.
-Mary Wilson Little

dataholic

Post by dataholic » 2003-06-23 11:14

No, it isn't. This is something very different.
This is solution for ppl with slow lines [like me].

Charalambos

Post by Charalambos » 2003-06-23 17:32

Then i didn't get your point.
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it.
-Mary Wilson Little

Gratch06

Post by Gratch06 » 2003-06-23 18:17

He employs download slots. For example, a maximum of 2 downloads at a time (on a modem). What his goal is is to make up a "dedicated slot" separate from the two normal download slots. Perhaps he is trying to get a file from a user that routinely has long term no slots available. He wants to be trying ALL the time, not just when he has a download slot (one of the two) available. Basically he wants a way to use the download slots limit (so he isn't doing 12 downloads at once on a modem), but he wants to be able to provide an exception to the rule for certain files/users/categories. Hope that helps a little Charalambos...

Being on a high speed connection myself, I don't employ download slots, but they definitely serve a good purpose for those who need them.

Fleshing your idea out further, if implemented, I would only add the "snap to ..." option to the queue menu, and only make it appear if download slots are enabled (so it is invisible for users who don't use download slots). Hmm...is it possible to have menus only appear based on circumstances? I'd think so, considering different Opmenu/Usermenu, though this would incur a bit of overhead to employ it as optional.

-Gratch06

dataholic

Post by dataholic » 2003-06-24 06:31

precisely!
thank you Gratch06 for explaining Charalambos!

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

God, this radio station sucks!

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-06-24 12:44

dataholic wrote:No, it isn't. This is something very different.
This is solution for ppl with slow lines [like me].
But Highest priority files are always started, regardless of how many download slots you've opened. Doesn't this solve your problem, at least in the short term?

It seems much nicer a solution...

dataholic

Post by dataholic » 2003-06-24 14:46

I must say I never witnessed opening of extra slot [above set limit] for a highest priority file except filelist! Are you sure it really works? :)

Well, even if it really does work, it doesn't help when I have more files marked highest priority - then I don't have any control over which of those files I get sooner [except from manually clearing the way for my at-the-moment-most-wanted-file -- disconnecting from fastest user (!) which steals bandwidth to my highest priority file, disconnecting from entire hubs, leaving just one slot open... that's how I do it now, and it really sucks].
I already learned to use highest priority scarcely, still because of my line speed [256/64] it takes me long time to download [typically days to finish an iso for instance] , and during this time my priorities often change -- then I would have to go through all my queue [thousands files] and adjust priorities manually.
Dedicated slots would enable overriding set dl priorities according to momentary needs and I believe would make whole priority system in dc++ more flexible [at least for my kind of users - slow lines, long queues].
It is a sort of a "fine tuning" possibility in priority setting which has been cried for I beleive in many posts before [1-100 scale etc...]

Actually, dedicated slots came to my mind when I lost fast source because of a slow filelist [auto highest priority] download.
I had limit set to 2 dl slots. One slot was used for some .bin file, running few kB/s, second I had running "very fast" [25 kB/s or so] , getting some mp3s.
Then extra slot was open for a filelist , unfortunately it was about 350kB and went very slow -- 200-300b/s. Meanwhile a mp3 file was finished, but next one didn't start - I got "all download slots taken" msg, because that extra [3rd] slot getting huge filelist slowly took its place!!!
I killed this slow transfer immediately but obviously I didnt get back to fast line source - No slots available...

So I'm sure if an extra slot is open above set limit, it should definitely stay extra. But it doesn't. Maybe I should post this as a bug?