Autosorting finished downloads by filetype

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

jbyrd

Autosorting finished downloads by filetype

Post by jbyrd » 2003-06-19 12:26

It would be useful to have the option to sort mp3's, avi's, etc into a folder of their own for easier access.

It would also be helpful if other criteria could be used, such as file name or size (or any other search criteria).

:D

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-06-19 13:14

Do you mean sorting of the finished downloads folder?

What happens when I download a folder of stuff that contains multiple media types (eg. a game - audio video and data files)?
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

Dev e-xtreme.net

Post by Dev e-xtreme.net » 2003-06-19 13:44

i agree it would be handy but then you come to the problem that our freind "TheParanoidOne" said what if you download a folder with multi files in audio video etc?

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-06-19 13:58

I know that this feature exists in GetRight (a download manager). It makes sense in that context as you generally are downloading individual files and not entire folders (and subfolders) of stuff as in DC++.

I guess it all depends on what you use DC++ for.

DC++ Guide | Words

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-06-19 14:35

You could have the option when you right click on a directory to keep the existing directory structure or to use auto-sorting.

:P

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-06-19 14:44

That would be a good solution. But now your feature is creating extra complexity by bleeding into the rest of the interface.

If the autosort were a toggle and it were off (the sensible default) this new menu item would be redundant.

DC++ Guide | Words

Dev e-xtreme.net

Post by Dev e-xtreme.net » 2003-06-19 14:50

if you can do that then this feature would be great.

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-06-19 16:00

Yes, you are very right. I would hate to have it bleeding into the system...but it would also be a pain to go into your settings between downloads. See, some folders you may want to auto-sort, and one right after you may not...

I see your concern. :cry:

But it would be very easy and is a good feature.

Thx

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-06-20 09:46

jbyrd wrote:But it would be very easy
I cringe whenever I see anyone say that. :)

Would you want a separate folder per file extension or per file *type*? Or would you want that user definable? I could see a feature like this needing it's own page in Settings. Throw in other criteria such as size, and things get hideously complex.

DC++ Guide | Words

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-06-20 11:33

First, I would like to apologize to sedulus. Sorry man, someone put me up to it. :roll: Didn't mean to be such a noob! :D

And to theparanoidone, I should have said "easier than compared to some others." :D
Would you want a separate folder per file extension or per file *type*?
By type I meant extension. I didn't mean "type* because I didn't want to make this feature super complicated, especially at first so it would be considered. But it obviously has some potential to get involved.

I have some ideas, but I need to know exactly how much time you guys care about this type of thing.

I figured that it would start off as kind of a bare feature (hopefully in one of the upcoming releases), with additions every release...

This feature has tons of potential and would be of great convenience. Thanks guys for your consideration.

-jbyrd

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-06-20 12:00

jbyrd wrote:I have some ideas, but I need to know exactly how much time you guys care about this type of thing.
The more you flesh out your ideas and provide possible implementations, the greater the chance that someone will take an interest and decide to code it.
jbyrd wrote:I figured that it would start off as kind of a bare feature
So what would you want to see in the first iteration of such a feature, if it were to be implemented?
jbyrd wrote:This feature has tons of potential and would be of great convenience.
I can only see this being useful for people who download mainly media files. Can you please explain some of the potential and give a few examples of how/where it would be used.

DC++ Guide | Words

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-06-20 15:30

Sorry I've been so vague. The only thing is I don't want to say something that will jeopardize the feature. What I figured was that the programmer will probably put his own spin on the feature when he codes it so going into great detail is only useful if you want your ideas to be smashed.

The programmer knows more about feasibility and technical hurdles than me, so the way I present WILL PROBABLY NOT BE THE BEST WAY. :oops: Please don't hollar and yell when I make a logical error with this. :D
There are many other ways that this same idea can be presented. Well...
The more you flesh out your ideas and provide possible implementations, the greater the chance that someone will take an interest and decide to code it.
If willing to commit an entire setup page for this feature, it would be much more flexible and useful (and obviously more difficult).

Within the setup page, there would be something much like the dc++ search interface at the bottom of the page (much like the adl search feature). In this auto-sort interface, you would choose NEW AUTO SORT to create a new auto sort profile. These profiles could be turned on and off depending on when you need/want them. This way you wouldn't have to enter them again later.
Then, you would enter the name of your sort, say movies. Then, one at a time, you could enter different criteria (probably a pulldown menu). First, you may want to add file extensions, say .avi and .mpeg. Use the pulldown menu to find *type*. The *type* "menus" come up which allow you to, say, check boxes next to the desired file type, or something. When done selecting .avi and .mpeg, press ADD.

The extension menus go away.

Next, maybe you would want to specify a size. Use the pulldown menu to select size. Then the size specifier comes up. You enter in your size. Click ADD. (It would be helpful to have a RANGE of sizes here. Greater than 100MB AND Less than 800MB).

Now, in some box above, your specifications are being displayed. When finished adding criteria, click FINISH. Finally, a window asks you where this folder will be. Have the usual explorer-type with optional BROWSE.

An additional idea would be to have an option added to the right-click menu in the search window. Under "download to..." would be something like "auto-sort". Or, if auto-sort was the default there would be an option that let you download it normally (just in the dc++ folder).
I can only see this being useful for people who download mainly media files. Can you please explain some of the potential and give a few examples of how/where it would be used.
For programs and games, the size and extensions would help. Let me think about that more...

When downloading and autosorting a whole directory, files remain in the directory, and the directory is put into the autosort folder.
Example, say you download a directory called THE BEATLES. It contains 2 subdirectories. In those folders are .mp3s for the music and .jpgs for the album covers. The .mp3s would go into the music folder, but would have the same directory structure as the person you downloaded it from.
Also, in the pictures folder, there would be the .jpgs (in the same fashion).

Hope I didn't make any of the programmers sick to your stomachs. :(

If you have any concerns, please tell me where I went wrong (I'm sure you will!). :D[/i]

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-06-22 21:34

As far as programs and games, pretty much filesize and type would be useful, as I said before. But, media is a the main (if not exclusive) interest for most p2p users. For this reason, it would be very useful for the vast majority of users.

LGBR

Post by LGBR » 2003-07-31 08:13

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-07-31 09:35

Looks great! So, is it from a hacked client or did you do this yourself? Sources Sources Sources!
Hehe.

LGBR

Post by LGBR » 2003-07-31 17:11

C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-08-01 09:18

BEAUTIFUL!

But, there is just one problem. Code.
Hehe.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-08-18 20:26

Nice visualization.

Of course, it works really well if you download single files of any type. What if you commonly download directories of MP3 files? The way that sorting should behave isn't explicitly specified, is it? Muddying the waters further is that there's no flag in the queue.xml file (or anywhere else) saying that this was part of a group/directory download.

Oh, and there's also the point of view that you should verify files manually before you reshare them... Which is an issue that can be handled - just make sure the target directory isn't shared when you specify it, or when changing the shared directories that you're not including a "sorting" directory.

Regardless, fools will find new and puzzling ways to shoot themselves in the foot. ;))