Auto Share Completed Downloads Folder

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Nocturnal

Post by Nocturnal » 2003-06-18 00:09

Feature Request:

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-06-18 03:39

Before this is done, I think there should be default (and separate) Finished and Unfinished folders. At the moment they get put in the same place by default - "Downloads" - and autosharing that would most likely get you kicked due to incompletes.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

Charalambos

Post by Charalambos » 2003-06-18 06:11

Not all users want to share the download folder, as they want to check the files and be sure about their quality before sharing them.

And isn't it very easy just to add that folder to the shared folders list?
It shouldn't take you more than 10 seconds.
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it.
-Mary Wilson Little

Nocturnal

Post by Nocturnal » 2003-06-20 10:30

Yes but a lot of users dont. If its done by default then there would be a lot more shared instead of disapearing into black holes.

Also if there is a file x that is 700 mb and user A has 300 Mb and user B 100 Mb, user B should be able to download off user A for the range 100-300 Mb.

Also I think for everyone uploading you a file a slot should be automatically opened for them to download from you, for the duration of them uploading.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-06-20 11:51

Nocturnal wrote:If its done by default then there would be a lot more shared instead of disapearing into black holes.
My point above still stands. Also, further to what Charalambos said above, wouldn't it be better to have files shared that people have checked and are known to be good?

You seem to be suddenly and randomly jumping to different feature requests!
Nocturnal wrote:Also if there is a file x that is 700 mb and user A has 300 Mb and user B 100 Mb, user B should be able to download off user A for the range 100-300 Mb.
Are you talking about downloading Partials a la BitTorrent? Until hashing is introduced to DC++, this could be a problem. In the example you gave, how do you know that the partial files user A and B have are actually from the same file? How do you know that they are even partials for file x?
Nocturnal wrote:Also I think for everyone uploading you a file a slot should be automatically opened for them to download from you, for the duration of them uploading.
This one has been discussed here.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

Nazo

Post by Nazo » 2003-06-22 13:06

Not only is that a bad idea because of the reason already pointed out where you can actually ensure that the completed files are of proper quality, but, actually completed (some people share incompletes, this would increase the number that do tenfold.) There's also the fact that certain hubs have certain rules about what can and cannot be shared, and if you have something else that is downloading to the same folder and it puts a dll or something there, you will be kicked from the majority of the hubs simply because your client decided to share something that you didn't really want it to. Anyway, I don't know about you, but I find my downloads to be quite complicated enough. The last thing I need is to have to have a seperate directory just for DC to download to because right now I have DC download to the same folder that everything else does. This would mean I'd have to seperate it to a different folder and then sort through that. If other people get the same idea, then that's even more to sort through.