More /commands and...

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Infernal_Demon

More /commands and...

Post by Infernal_Demon » 2003-06-15 15:04

I think you should implement more commands or improve the comands you already have.
Like the /join command should have an option to open another window to connect to the specified hub.
Also you could have something to make timed connections by setting something up to connect to that hub. Like /timedcon <time> <hub>
This would be really helpful to me sinse my isp counts my international downloads except from 4:00 to 7:00. So if I could like program dc++ to connect to a hub at a desired time that would be great :)

Keep doing such a good work 8)

Nazo

Post by Nazo » 2003-06-22 13:20

Your isp is counting INTERNATION downloads? But not national downloads? What ISP does this and do you know why? It sounds pretty darned weird to me. Especially since the whole purpose of the internet is to connect the whole world, not just the whole nation.

Anyway, I agree that it would be nice to have more of the / commands that the client can use. Part of the problem is that the majority of / commands that we got used to in things like IRC were really just sending the command to the server and hardly anyone can agree on which commands to implement in the server and what syntax to use. For example, look at the /me command that we all became so addicted to. Many hubs don't have it at all, some have it where it still shows your original line of text defeating the whole purpose since people still see the original text, and a few actually have it, but implement it differently so that you can't just use the same command on multiple forums. What I think we need is a common set of raw commands that can be sent to the server via the client and which would be kept seperate from the normal text so that where it doesn't work, it will just get an error that it will explain to the user and no harm done.

BTW, some of the common commands that would be nice to have would be the things like IRC has used such as /kick and, of course, /me d-:

Twink

Post by Twink » 2003-06-22 22:07

ISPs in NZ have a 10GB limit on overseas but unlimited national... although a isp that only counts it if you download at a certain time is alittle strange.

yeah built in support for /me would be nice =D (is already in some clients not all).

HaArD

Re: More /commands and...

Post by HaArD » 2004-01-26 21:03

Infernal_Demon wrote:Like the /join command should have an option to open another window to connect to the specified hub.
Just found this old thread while searching for something else... what a fantastic idea, I either open the public hubs window or create a favourite just to check out another hub and it's a pain...

Being able to specify "new window" in the /join command would be a fantastic improvement.

[PT]Devilishly

Re: More /commands and...

Post by [PT]Devilishly » 2004-01-27 06:17

Infernal_Demon wrote:(...)
Also you could have something to make timed connections by setting something up to connect to that hub. Like /timedcon <time> <hub>
This would be really helpful to me sinse my isp counts my international downloads except from 4:00 to 7:00. So if I could like program dc++ to connect to a hub at a desired time that would be great :)
There exists at least two clients that already do that(that I know):
DC++ Timer - (Based on 0.301 of dc++) English version
ptDC 2.0 - (Based on 0.305 of dc++) Also have that, but is only in Portuguese language...

Best regards,
[PT]Devilishly