Download queue features...

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

X-level

Download queue features...

Post by X-level » 2003-06-13 08:54

A very useful download queue feature is a "search tool"... it could be an "offline" version to the "Search" (for files) option or the "ADL Search"...
the purpose could be chancing the priority of files or fiding alternates for a certain file...

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-06-13 14:58

Ok, so you would like a method to find an existing file in your download queue? You must have a lot of files queued. ;)

A temporary workaround, perhaps, is to activate Flat mode by clicking on the checkbox in the Download Queue's lower left corner.

ixon

Post by ixon » 2003-06-16 02:49

How often does dc search for alt sources to download when files are queued?

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-06-16 04:38

1 minute, AFAIK.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-06-16 05:46

(yes, it's offtopic) ixon, it searches for alternate sources for one file in your queue once every minute.

Sarf
---
If Cthulhu calls... let the machine pick it up.

X-level

reason why...

Post by X-level » 2003-06-16 05:54

GargoyleMT... indeed, i do have lotta files in my download queue, but i guess that's not relevant for this topic...
just think about the good parts of having that "offline search tool" for your download queue... finding a file (whatever purpose it is needed) is very useful to everyone... and i guess most of the users will agree for this feature to be added...
why ? because some of us want to delete some files, or check their status (e.g. priority), or change dir. for the files to be downloaded etc.
there are lot of reasons why this feature should be implemented in the next version(s)...
the _X-level_

X-level

updating alternates source...

Post by X-level » 2003-06-16 05:59

sarf... if what you say is true (and probably is, i don't know for sure... yet), what happens when you have thousands (let's say over 10 thousand) files in your download queue ?
for all of these files to be searched for (finding alternate sources), it requires lot of time, i guess... and that 1 minute will be overrun...
my question is: how does DC++ handle this problem ? (finding alternate sources for large download queues)
the _X-level_

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-06-16 06:12

In the case of "thousands files" DC++ will go through your queue list (somewhat at random) and search for one file per minute. So, in an ideal world, it would take "thousands" of minutes. In reality, it would actually be slower than this since the iteration is a bit random (to prevent the list from being searched sequentially and potentially causing long stretches of time in which no alternates are found).

This is the "automatically search for alternate sources", by the way - it is in no way, shape or form related to the "Search for alternates" (well, almost) which you, as a user, can do.

Sarf
---
Never trust a cop with a rubber glove.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-06-16 06:26

GargoyleMT wrote:A temporary workaround, perhaps, is to activate Flat mode by clicking on the checkbox in the Download Queue's lower left corner.
X-level: doesn't this help with what you are trying to do?
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: reason why...

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-06-19 22:36

X-level wrote:GargoyleMT... indeed, i do have lotta files in my download queue, but i guess that's not relevant for this topic...
No, it's extremely relevant. I only have, maybe, 30 files in my queue now. If you have 10000, that means you're using DC++ in a substantially different way than me, and that you'll have different expectations. The DC++ queue, or even Queue Window might not be designed for such use. ;)
X-level wrote:just think about the good parts of having that "offline search tool" for your download queue... finding a file (whatever purpose it is needed) is very useful to everyone... and i guess most of the users will agree for this feature to be added...
You're mixing things up here. "Offline searching" is often talked about, in this forum, in the context of searching previously downloaded file lists. You seem to really looking for a filter, or a "Download Queue Search."

X-level

Post by X-level » 2003-06-21 16:39

well... as i've seen, all the source code is written in C/C++ language (or most of it)... so, the "Download Queue" should manage lists with over 10000 files in it... it's just a "simple" file processing (an XML file, as i've seen) and i think it should not be "threatened" about the size of the "Download Queue"...

anyway... about the second part of GargoyleMT's reply... i used the "offline" term in comparison with the "online" one... and yes, what i need is a "Download Queue Search" (if this term is proper)...
though i try to seek what i need using the Flat mode, sometimes it doesn't help... and it's a slow process to do that search all by yourself... just thought of a grep-like function/feature that can be used in the "Download Queue" to search and to select files using different patterns (e.g. using wildcards, case insensitive: *disney*.avi :)
if this idea sounds too crazy, that's it... i'll try to implement it myself (someday :P)... maybe a little stand-alone XML-based browser to search the "Queue.xml" file :)

P.S.: "the first one who finds the gold is the richest..."[/quote]
the _X-level_