Stop automatically reconnecting if kicked...

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Stele007

Stop automatically reconnecting if kicked...

Post by Stele007 » 2003-06-10 19:16

Speaking as an op of a hub... it's really annoying to kick someone and have them come right back. Of course, I can just ban them, but then they get a permban for doing something they might not have known was wrong (such as sharing something they didn't know they had...). As it is, they just automatically reconnect until they get kicked so many times and eventually get banned.

I've actually had this happen to me once... I connected to some hub and got kicked over and over for having a bad description... but since I wasn't on, I couldn't change it... so eventually I got banned. Luckily I knew the owner of the hub, but I'm sure most people don't know how to get unbanned and they obviously can't ever return.

So, could you possibly change this in the next version or whatever? It'd be really nice...

-Stele007
I'll swallow your soul!

Nazo

Post by Nazo » 2003-06-10 23:18

There are occasions though when that's necessary. For example, my favorite hub switched to different software and they had a bot that just kind of went crazy and was kicking nearly everyone for anything from simply speaking two lines within a minute to searching more than one time per IP address per god only knows how long (I do know it kicked if you searched more than one time in 5 minutes for sure though.) Later they fixed that, but not everyone can be watching their client all the time to see things like that. Of course, that's an extreme example, but, you get the idea that there are occasions when the automatic reconnect is useful. If you don't want them coming back, why can't you just make a temporary ban on their nickname or ip address? That's what every hub I've been in does, they don't usualy make a permanent ban, but, even when they do ban for something like a bad description, they leave an e-mail or something like that. You do understand that if clients stop reconnecting automatically, the number of servers will greatly diminish, correct? I personally have enough trouble as it is finding sources for things, I certainly can't bear the thought of there being even fewer.

Gratch06

Post by Gratch06 » 2003-06-11 00:17

Add in to your hub software a temporary ban option. I know that it works quite effectively to have a kick automatically do a 30 minute temp ban. The user has time to see it and fix the problem, not like an immediate reconnect where they don't have a chance to see OR fix the issue. This sounds like an issue that the hub needs to handle, not the client. I personally don't like being d/ced in the middle of the night and coming back to a dead DC Hub.
Stele007 wrote:it's really annoying to kick someone and have them come right back
For the reason of a kick, that'd be fine I suppose, but for a regular disconnect or connection reset by server, wouldn't be a happy thing.

- Gratch

Stele007

Post by Stele007 » 2003-06-13 08:55

Actually the hub does have a tempban, but usually people are afk or don't pay attention to DC, so they get kicked several times and end up banned. I know for a fact that a whooole lot of people turn on DC++ and go off somewhere (like to their bed or maybe to work), so they never see that they get kicked. Personally, I'd hate to leave it on all night then when I get on in the morning I'm permamently banned. Of course, you could get someone to connect and ask to unban you, but the vast majority of users never do that.

Oh, and I'm not asking to just take out the auto connect (since it really is useful), I'm just asking to make it not auto connect when you get kicked... I thought I saw in some feature that DC++ could distinguish between being disconnected and getting kicked...

I'm just kinda getting sick of banning people who might actually change their files if they weren't afk...

-Stele007
I'll swallow your soul!

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-06-13 09:44

No it can't... The protocol is written in that way. I know that Nev proposed to send $Kick to the client getting kicked, and this will atleast find its way into ASH and hopefully DC++ (as a client).... There is a hackish workaround already present in DC++. If first "message" from the hub contain "banned" (check source to be sure), then the client will not autoconnect anymore. This is compatible with nmdchub.
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.