Search by Hashset

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

scomebody

Search by Hashset

Post by scomebody » 2003-06-10 09:35

Hi! I want to request one Feature so DCC search files by there hashset (like edonkey, kazaa, emule.....) if you now search for one file like download.exe there were 1000 differnet files some times they have the same size but there are not the self.
i think you know waht i mean.

and my favorite request Multi source downloading ;) *i know there are much of themes to discute it :))

KLesK

Post by KLesK » 2003-06-10 09:50

pDC++ have segmented download if you ment that, try that ...

scomebody

Post by scomebody » 2003-06-10 10:03

No i mean a option to search for exactly the same File :)

I've test pDC++ but i haven't seen any changes to DC++ except one i've been kicked by the most hubs

Nazo

Post by Nazo » 2003-06-10 23:47

Hrm. To do this, wouldn't you have to calculate the has of each file when generating the file list? Weren't people complaining about the potential slowdown of just having the list check the basic info fields of mp3 files for bitrate/etc to show up in searches. Such a thing as this would slow down things far more. Anyway, DC already does this to some extent. It doesn't actually look for hashes maybe, but, it can look for a precice file size, and it's almost impossible to have to files of exactly the same size if they are different things and are larger than just a few bytes. Well, unless someone did it on purpose to fool people, but those people wouldn't get very far due to the fact that no self-respecting hub would tolerate such a thing if they caught them. I suppose that from what some have said the hashing would become necessary once multisource downloading is finally figured out but, in the meantime, probably people just aren't going to want that very slight help at the cost of a much slower list rebuild.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Search by Hashset

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-06-13 14:27

scomebody wrote:Hi! I want to request one Feature so DCC search files by there hashset (like edonkey, kazaa, emule.....)
Hash support will initially come to DC++ in the form, very likely, of TTH hashes. I think that support for a variety (such as those that Bitzi knows about [SHA1, ED2K]) is nice. A counterpoint is that some Gnutella clients are considering removing hash support (paraphasing Sandos from memory), because most of those come back empty and are a real drain on the network.