A Search for only one type off files.

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

ExhalE

A Search for only one type off files.

Post by ExhalE » 2003-06-03 18:19

I'd like it if you could make a feature where we could search for only one type off file type, like .bin files of .avi files

like write *.bin and all the bin files he came up with would show, get me? :)

Garet Jax

Post by Garet Jax » 2003-06-03 18:38

But what's wrong with file type: any / audio / compress / document / executable / picture / video / directory ???

Also, if You want to search for specific extension, type it in the search for box. For example: "Animatrix avi" search is very similar to searching: " *Animatrix*.avi "
"Blessed is he who expects nothing,
for he shall never be disappointed."

Nazo

Post by Nazo » 2003-06-03 18:51

Well to answer for that person, what's wrong is if you have a filetype that isn't known or you only want one specific filetype rather than all in a general set. For example, you may only want AVI hoping to find a DivX encode of something you have in RM. Also, an example of something that may or may not be "known" would be OGG and OGM. I haven't really tested it extensively as I usually just use all file types with a minimum size to be sure I'm getting decent bitrate video and not RM or poor quality DivX, so OGG and OGM may be known to the DC++ people by now for all I could say.

Anyway, like you said, all you have to do is put it in the search and most of the time it will work. If you just add a size restriction, it should weed out the bad results anyway.

Of course, if one had to have such a thing, probably what would be nicest is if you had a box where you could type in the extention to search for and the selections would simply fill into that box automatically for you. You could just have multiple entries by seperating with a colon like windows usually does and/or any other preferred seperator. I believe WinMX or one of those other P2P things out there do this in fact.