bandwidth usage limit

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Sapeer

bandwidth usage limit

Post by Sapeer » 2003-06-01 16:54

Hello. I would like to ask for a possibility to limit the total bandwidth usage, i.e. both downloads and uploads.

The reason is that whenever I start DC (and I have it active 24/7 on a disconnected Terminal session) and try to use the net I suddenly remember the good old 33.6 modem times :? Also, I have to turn DC off during the day, 'cause I need to access my machine from work and this is nearly impossible with DC sucking up all available kbps.

The feature could be as low-level in terms of DC source as possible; no distinctions, no exceptions, just a possibility to limit bandwidth usage to a set kbps, or perhaps a percentage of the maximum throughput possible.

Also, the feature would not be thought of as unfair, since it would slow down both uploads and downloads, by the same factor.

Charalambos

Post by Charalambos » 2003-06-01 16:56

In normal dc++ you can set limit for downloads.

If you want to limitate uploads you have to use a modified dc++ client as dc++k or bcdc.
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it.
-Mary Wilson Little

Sapeer

Post by Sapeer » 2003-06-02 18:09

DC++, as far as I have found out, allows me to limit the number of downloads only, not the combined maximum speed.

Nevertheless, even if it were as you said, it wouldn't solve my problem - what bandwidth the downloads freed would immediately be taken by uploads.

I think this feature would be useful to many DC++ users, and also since many hubs allow only unmodified DC++ clients, I think it should be added to the original.

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-06-03 10:28

Not that it is important, but DC++k 0.25+ "emulates" (i.e. does not advertise that it is DC++k) DC++ perfectly (yet another shameless plug!).

Upload limiting will not be added to the orginal DC++ due to several very good reasons - search for upload limiting to find out why.

Oh, and DC++ has a setting for how many kb/s it will allow before it will cease starting any more downloads (just below the number of downloads setting).

Sarf
---
Those students who have become one with the universe will be allowed to go on and become two with the universe.