Get auto free slot from ppl uploading from you and vice vers

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

meuntitled

Get auto free slot from ppl uploading from you and vice vers

Post by meuntitled » 2003-05-27 17:31

This is a feature i think is realy fair.

i connect to some one, that person will get auto great free slot. and vice versa

if some one is uploading from you, you soud have the right to download from them. Its geting harder and harder to get slot from some one with out asking for it. so this feature will make that happen automedic.

And other great thing about this feature is that this will get the ppl that usely shere as little as possible, shere more, and better things....the more you shere, the more likly you are to get some one with great stuff to upload form you, and that way you can feed from eatch other for some time, knowing that the other person is not going any where.

some ppl say this will slow the download/upload down becous ppl will have to many slots open...but that does not have to be the case. if you have a open slot to some one, you are sure to at least take a look at what that pearson has to offer.

This may even be a feature that you have to turn on...huds can just make it a rule to use it or not

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-05-27 17:51

here is another post suggesting what you ask. While this feature is nice and... eh... "fair", it is not something that would be appreciated by some OPs, since it would make the "official" number of slots worthless - or are you suggesting that the slots would be counted and thus lead to users being thrown out of hubs because they have too many slots?

Feel free to put forward your arguments so I can shoot them down for the betterment of mankind (and my mood). :)

Sarf (loading his argument-gun)
---
The charms of a woman are directly related to the speed of her passing.

OLDoMiNiON

Post by OLDoMiNiON » 2003-05-27 19:09

you have to take into account the fact that 3 slots open for someone on a 128 upstream connection, is kinda the limit... otherwise speeds can go sub-zero, heh.
So if i alread yhave 3 slots open, and then want to download from maybe 5 people, do to faster download speeds.. with your theory i'd have to have at most 8 slots open. ..that's a few too many don't you think?! it... wouldn't work. Nice as it sounds, it'd be pointless to implement.

Wisp

Post by Wisp » 2003-05-28 16:21

Well if you want to download something from someone who is downloading from you, you can allways ask, and if he denies, you can close his download

meuntitled

Post by meuntitled » 2003-05-28 19:05

Ok here it goes

Sarf : "it is not something that would be appreciated by some OPs, since it would make the "official" number of slots worthless - or are you suggesting that the slots would be counted and thus lead to users being thrown out of hubs because they have too many slots?"

i gess that is a ider, to thrown out some on that has to many slots...but less face it, if you have to many slots open, you slow your on connection down. so i think that wot proble take care of it self.

OLDoMiNiON : "So if i alread yhave 3 slots open, and then want to download from maybe 5 people, do to faster download speeds.. with your theory i'd have to have at most 8 slots open"

More and more huds have 2 slots limt, so that meens you have about 4 slot open.....thats not to much is it ? and like i said this may be install as a opion, so each hud cout put it in to there rules if you can us it or not. (but this is just a ider, i have noider if this is even poseble for a programer)

Wisp : "Well if you want to download something from someone who is downloading from you, you can allways ask, and if he denies, you can close his download"

if you close on some one for not givin you a EXSTRA slot, in a good hud, you may risk to be kick out, and in some huds even band, so that is not realy a option.

and Sarf. i can handle having some one "shooting down my arguments" Thats only helps, to see sides you did not think of....so i will be very happy for any "shootings" :lol:

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-05-28 19:27

meuntitled wrote:[ Sarf talking about hubs with max slot rules]

i gess that is a ider, to thrown out some on that has to many slots...but less face it, if you have to many slots open, you slow your on connection down. so i think that wot proble take care of it self.
It's more than an idea. It's a reality. There exist many hubs (and Swedish hubs too) that have maximum slot rules. In fact, oDC (Opera's DC Mod) is used often in many of those hubs because it keeps a limit on the ways that people can get around the rule (ie. by restricting how people grant slots).
meuntitled wrote:More and more huds have 2 slots limt, so that meens you have about 4 slot open.....thats not to much is it ? and like i said this may be install as a opion, so each hud cout put it in to there rules if you can us it or not. (but this is just a ider, i have noider if this is even poseble for a programer)
Well, if you have the 4 slots (not open slots), and you have one download from each of the two hubs you're on, you'll have 6 slots. Or say you've got 2 downloads from each hub. That means 8 slots. That truly does matter, since you've now cut your speeds to each user in half.
meuntitled wrote:if you close on some one for not givin you a EXSTRA slot, in a good hud, you may risk to be kick out, and in some huds even band, so that is not realy a option.
So instead of asking yourself and getting denied by some users, you want to automate it and make it for all users?
meuntitled wrote:and Sarf. i can handle having some one "shooting down my arguments" Thats only helps, to see sides you did not think of....so i will be very happy for any "shootings"
Well, the original post he pointed you at had a lot of the same arguments. I'm amused why you think that your argument still holds water. ;-)

P.S. Ider != Idea huds != hubs.

meuntitled

Post by meuntitled » 2003-05-28 19:45

OK im losing this argument BIG TIME :lol:

GargoyleMT im just going to keep this simple and say 1,2,3,4 :)

1. So we agree on that.

2. There, i for got one in porten fact...most huds, alow you to be on more then 1 hud at the same time, the huds in iceland i use, kick you out if you are in more then one.....so thats true that wot be a problem :cry:

3. Yes....only seem fair.

4. Thinks for profing my point......your argument 2. gave me some think i over look big time.

So i have to admit. This wot be hard to do, taking the fact you can be in more then one hud. :cry:

Well it wos a sweet drem :wink:

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-05-28 20:14

Keeping your points in mind, I'm all for a generic idea of giving added priority to people who you're currently downloading from. DC++ could do that with an upload queue, or many other ideas (look for "ratings system"). However, I don't think auto-granting a slot to every user who you're downloading from is the way to do it. I think you'll find stiff resistance from even "normal" DC++ users.