New ICON for Dc++ VIP'z

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Renegadez

New ICON for Dc++ VIP'z

Post by Renegadez » 2003-05-24 16:00

Is it Possible to make a DC++ client that Supportz a new ICON for VIP memberz so That VIPz can have their own Status Not Using a Key as Op the Idea is too reward my registered userz who have been on my Hub forever but i cant Op everyone so....... Any Help would be Appreciated:)

Thanxz

Renegadez

ender

Post by ender » 2003-05-24 18:32

no

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-05-24 19:23

ender wrote:no
Heh! :D

The slightly longer answer is that something like this is not really a high priority for anyone so the only way it will see the light of day is if you provide a patch to arne.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2003-05-24 21:09

which would only be possible if you define how dc++ would detect a vip
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

Renegadez

Post by Renegadez » 2003-05-25 02:16

How does Dc++ Detect an Op??? The same prinicipal cannot be Applied?? Oh an Ender Thatz a nice way to treat someone new to your forum and a Hub owner that promotez Dc++ Thanxz

Renegadez

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2003-05-25 05:41

ops are detected through the $OpList which is (very inefficiently) sent in it's whole whenever the list changes (op leaves, op enters).
now apart from the inefficiency of doing the same with a $VipList (which would have to added to both hub and client), having only VIPs will make someone shout for SuperUser icons, exactly when everything has been implemented, compiled and released.
so what you really need is, userlevels to be transmitted along with every nick.
think about that, and in the mean time, read up on some protocol stuff (wza.digitalbrains.com/DC/doc/ and dcplusplus.sf.net/wiki/)
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)

yilard

Post by yilard » 2003-05-25 12:19

Maybe it would be possible to put VIPs in regular user list. Hub would append special string/character to their name, which regular users can't have in nicks. Client'd detect it, strip it and display icon.

But I'm not too into this because user management is completely up to hubs, hubsofts tend to have different set of user classes. So client need to know nothing about it.
In the age of super-boredom/hype and mediocrity/celebrate relentlessness/menace to society --KMFDM

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-05-25 14:38

... if you are talking about making a new icon for anyone with [VIP] at the start of their nicks, however, you might get somewhere. Be specific. Act smart. Don't do drugs (except legal ones). And, for the love of Baphomet, Eris and Loki, do not take everything too seriously.

By the way, the above-mentioned patch is easy - which does not mean that you are going to get it since it is a) silly, b) requires that the hub ensures that nicks starting with [VIP] are registered users and c) ... not good for much.

Just give 'em access to an OP-Chat (if you have one) - that ought to make 'em feel special.

Sarf
---
Win a live rat for your mother-in-law!

Renegadez

Post by Renegadez » 2003-05-25 15:36

Thank u for the excellent repliez on and I deas on how to this I appreciate it

Renegadez

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-05-26 10:54

Furthermore, presentation matters. :) For instance, lay off the Z key. Before you think that I'm jumping on your "constitutional right to add a z to any word," remember that you have to impress someone in order to get them to do work for them. Or hold some sort of power (fear, pay check, threat of sending their child off to Chipokoman camp) over them. You'll impress most people here by speaking like a normal human being.

I feel that a reading from the holy the real pirate's guide, volume 2 is in order.
[modeming/bbs']

when posting a message, real pirates can differentiate between: 'z' and 's',
'ph' and 'f', '2' and 'two', 'u' and 'you', '0' and 'o', '4' and 'for', and
'x' and 'ks'.

corollary: real pirates have long-since possessed the ability to punctu-
ate, spell and construct clear, well organized sentences.

corollary to the corollary: real pirates aren't constantly searching for
new ways to spell "wares".

mai9

Post by mai9 » 2003-05-26 14:35

That's funny!!

OLDoMiNiON

Post by OLDoMiNiON » 2003-05-28 08:34

hehe, good one ;)

Renegadez

Post by Renegadez » 2003-06-12 02:25

GargoyleMT
I am not beggin for your help or anyone elsezzzzzzzzzz I dont even use the Dc++ Client some of my the memberzzzzz on my Hub Do though and if u dont like the way I type i cpould give a FUCK Lezzz who are u to bag on anyone I just asked a Simple Question if the people who have Written Dc++ Dont want to do it or arent interested thatzzz Fine L8ter!

Renegadez

HaArD

Post by HaArD » 2003-06-12 08:50

GargoyleMT it's too soon for him... but it was a good try... :D

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2003-06-12 09:08

Renegadez,
you sure make yourself look stupid

nice going ;)

Renegadez

Post by Renegadez » 2003-06-13 01:56

Damn I never met this many Prudish ppl in the "Scene"

Renegadez

Renegadez

Post by Renegadez » 2003-06-13 02:08

You know what I did not come on this forum looking for a fight or to cause a hassle I have Hosted a very successful hub for Over 2 yearz and Have been in the "Scene" for over 8 I asked a Simple I recieved an answer and even said thankz and how much I appreaciated it I support the use of dc++ client on my Hub even tho I dont personally use it when new ppl want to know about it I direct them to your forum I am in NO way a NOOb to any of this I am Admin and Mod on many forumz and ill be damned to let some little punk flame me for no reason I posted in the proper forum in which to get an answer to my question then u have the nerve to call me stupid I run a very success computer business iI own and manage quite well in the world I believe both of these attackz were unfounded nice way to welcome ppl to your forum

Renegadez

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2003-06-13 05:09

Renegadez, chill :)

there was no fight planned for you nor any personal attacks.
what you did was discard _and_ ridicule the advice of a veteran on this board (that'd be Todd, look him up in the dc++ changelog). presentation does matter. I really can't believe that you would write business letters for your successfull computer business with all S's replaced by Z's; it would make you look immature and hence not a good business partner.
the programmers "Scene" was replying here, not the "Scene" you are referring to. and I wholeheartedly agree with GargoyleMT. ridiculing his advice was not smart behaviour (i.e. stupid _behaviour_, not _person_) and it will in fact lower your chances of getting someone to work on it.

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-06-13 11:52

I'm with Renegade on this one.

Sure, there Z's in his posts, but who cares? It's a style, not a lack of intellegence.

What gets me is that a veteran like Gargoyle would continue a dead thread with an insult. Sure, it's true that presentation means something. But the quote was pretty harsh, and I think, uncalled for.

Sedulus wrote:
and it will in fact lower your chances of getting someone to work on it.
Gargoyle wrote:
Furthermore, presentation matters. For instance, lay off the Z key. Before you think that I'm jumping on your "constitutional right to add a z to any word," remember that you have to impress someone in order to get them to do work for them.
It sounds to me like he didn't have a very good chance anyway.

I just think that Gargoyle should show some more patience and respect for the new guys. Alot of times the new guys have some really good ideas.

If he doesn't want to, that's fine too...but it's not for the best of the dc++ community. :(

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2003-06-13 13:20

It's a style, not a lack of intellegence.
intelligence
veteran like Gargoyle
This isn't a metaphor, and thus should be:
veteran such as Gargoyle
Finally, "quote" isn't a noun, so:
But the quote was
should read as
But the quotation was

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-06-13 13:55

jbyrd wrote:What gets me is that a veteran like Gargoyle would continue a dead thread with an insult. Sure, it's true that presentation means something. But the quote was pretty harsh, and I think, uncalled for.
It wasn't a dead thread, it was less than 24 hours after the last response was posted. My comment didn't address the technical merits of adding such a feature, as Sedulus, Yilard, and Sarf did that quite nicely. It was a footnote, tinged with a bit of humor and sarcasm, that presentation matters. You understood that, and agreed with it.

I'm absolutely flabbergasted that the quotation I used is deemed "harsh."

It's funny, and it doesn't even make fun of lezbos, queers, niggers, republicans, or even computer mice.
jbyrd wrote:It sounds to me like he didn't have a very good chance anyway.
The posts before that give ample technical hurdles to installing a VIP icon. The first couple solutions even require modification of the hub software. I have coded features based on a suggestion of people in the forum; ask Kenneth-Chile.
jbyrd wrote:I just think that Gargoyle should show some more patience and respect for the new guys. Alot of times the new guys have some really good ideas.

If he doesn't want to, that's fine too...but it's not for the best of the dc++ community. :(
I did not criticize the idea that Renegadez had, just his style. I have not been flaming newbies, or even responding with the harsh (but simple) RTFM. I find your attempt to say that my "bad attitude" is "sinking" the dc++ "scene" (to paraphrase you) humorous.

edits: spelling, touching up my last sentence
Last edited by GargoyleMT on 2003-06-13 18:22, edited 2 times in total.

OLDoMiNiON

Post by OLDoMiNiON » 2003-06-13 16:39

cologic - when we need you teacher-like input, we'll ask you for it. :P

Personally, i didn't think that MT's comments were in the least bit harsh.. just a good laugh. No harm done.

jbyrd

Ha

Post by jbyrd » 2003-06-15 01:06

cologic, I must say, I overlooked my simile solecism. I apologize for my metaphoric barbarism. :oops:

Although I hate to quibble over such insignificant details, I will stand by my usage of quote as a noun.
www.Dictionary.com agrees:
Usage Note: People have been using the noun quote as a truncation of quotation for over 100 years, and its use in less formal contexts is widespread today. Language critics have objected to this usage, however, as unduly journalistic or breezy. As such, it is best avoided in more formal situations. The Usage Panel, at least, shows more tolerance for the word as the informality of the situation increases. Thus, only 38 percent of Panelists accept the example He began the chapter with a quote from the Bible, but the percentage rises to 53 when the source of the quotation is less serious: He lightened up his talk by throwing in quotes from Marx Brothers movies.
The word intellegence, however, was used on purpose. I was just making sure that everyone was paying close attention. :D

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-06-15 01:12

On second thought, cologic:
Quote:
veteran like Gargoyle
This isn't a metaphor, and thus should be:
Quote:
veteran such as Gargoyle
Neither are metaphors. Both are similes. So why are you trying to correct me? Are you saying that, in that particular situation, I should have used a metaphor instead of a simile, or that I used a metaphor and should have used a simile? Whatever you did, it didn't correct anything. Both are perfectly acceptable.
I'm confused and flabbergasted. :?