Automated Collection Downloader

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Adreno

Automated Collection Downloader

Post by Adreno » 2003-05-22 14:09

First you generate a file list of -for example- an mp3 collection of yours. This file list constains
directory structure, file names and file sizes. You upload this to a web server or copy it to disk, cd,
what ever. Now, if your hard drive fucks up and all your mp3s are gone, dont worry: You import the list
from your backups and now DC++ creates a directory structure identical to the one in the list and then it
starts to search for files that have the same size as and similiar name as the files in your list. After downloading,
it puts the files in correct directories and names them the way they were named in the list. You don't have to
do pretty much anything; just keep your computer online for a few months and your 50 gig mp3 collection has been
restored - from a 500kb backup file: a txt generated by dc++. And did I mention the possibility to share these lists?
Giving everyone the change to get organized mp3 collections and full cds without having the trouble to dl individual
files and then go through all the trouble to sort them out for yourself!

mai9

Post by mai9 » 2003-05-22 17:50

This seems a very very complex function, just for those situations when your HDD says bye-bye.

And for those situations, what do you think is better:

1) download everything from the net.

2) copy everything from cdr/dvdr (or another HD).

:?:

Adreno

Post by Adreno » 2003-05-23 04:52

This is for two purposes: backup and sharing. You could share collections of amateur movies easily with others, without having to individually search for each specific movie. You could share and download full cds through DC++ without having to seek for each file individually, deleting duplicates, renaming files, etc...

And about the backup easiness
1) Download everything from the net with a single press of a button, 0$
2) Huge job copying everything to 100 or more CD-Rs / A lot of $$$ for a new harddrive. I don't know who has the time to burn a 100 HDs, and I at least don't have the money to buy an extra hard drive

And about the complexity.. DC++ already has a "search for alternatives" function. With some development it could accept files that are named differently, but would have the same size and type. (or does the function already do that?)

The actual collection files could be made as download queue files, and they could be imported and exported to DC++. The only *major* update besides import/export would be making DC++ put the files in correct (sub)folders and name them the way they were named in the download list.

Benefits, summary:
- Easy, very quickly made backup of your files
- Easy music collection sharing
- Easy full cd downloading
- Easy amateur movie & funny clip collection downloading
- It would free a lot of bandwith since most people put the same song in queue from several people and then delete duplicates afterwards. Since it would be a lot easier to use collection files to automaticly download and organize songs, most people would start doing that and there would be no waste bandwith for dupe downloads.

Summary of what I believe to be the programming job:
- Creating .col (collection list) files by modifieing the download queue files a bit
- Creating an easy .col import/export function to DC++
- Creating possibility to use several .cols and the regular download queue at the same time
- Developing the "search for alternatives" function by having it accept anything with same file type and size as long as the filename includes keywords that were defined in the .col file.

For example:
1. you have the latest scooter CD in your download list.
2. You then export your download list to a .col file. This would remove the "users to download from", and it would create a few more options.
3. First song in your list is named "01 - Scooter_first_habanera_rippedbycooldude_www.mp3.com" Now you could rename it, for example "Scooter - Sheffield/-01- First Habanera" and after the file has been downloaded DC++ would create a folder named "Scooter - Sheffield", and it would move the downloaded file to that folder and rename it "-01- First Habanera".
4. There would be also a "keywords" place in the .col file, and it would by default be the same as the original file name (not the modified one). It would then accept only files that have the exact same name. But, if u'd modify it as "scooter first habanera" it would then accept all files that include those 3 words, and are the same size and file type.

In other words, say I wish to download some new CD: I first get a .col file from a website or through DC++. Then I import it to DC++, click on download queue button (where I can see all imported collection lists), select the .col file and click on the "activate collection download" button. Now it would search for files that are same size and type as the ones in the collection file, that would also include they keywords. Then it would create a directory for the CD, and place all the downloaded files there and rename them not to look like a 60-char bloody mess like maybe every third mp3 these days is.

Adreno

Post by Adreno » 2003-05-23 04:55

oh and it would also be very useful to get the possibility to create .col files from directories, like I rightclick a folder in windows explorer and select a "Create collection list" button. Then it would start DC++, and it would create the .col file and open it, allowing me to set the keywords and possibly other changes.

mai9

Post by mai9 » 2003-05-23 12:06

Adreno wrote:You could share collections of amateur movies easily with others, without having to individually search for each specific movie.
If you share collections of movies, they are all in your hard drive, am I right? In this case Filelists.
Adreno wrote:And about the backup easiness
1) Download everything from the net with a single press of a button, 0$
2) Huge job copying everything to 100 or more CD-Rs / A lot of $$$ for a new harddrive. I don't know who has the time to burn a 100 HDs, and I at least don't have the money to buy an extra hard drive
I know there's always lack of money. But what you are suggesting is a 'Huge job' for just when your drive fails.

Let's see: If you pay $50/month for your internet connection and it's one month of downloading to recover your files: You are paying $50 for those backups and losing $50 more for your potential downloads. That's $100, enough money to buy a 120GB HD. And you save one month of your life and another one to potential programmers. :wink:

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-05-24 01:16

If the "search for alternates" functionality accepts files based on size and file extension (a.k.a. "type") you'll get lots of invalid .r01 and similar files.

It currently does some file name validation which prevents these mistakes.

Sarf
---
And the first one said to the second one there, "I hope you're having fun."