"tunneling" (has this already been suggested?)

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

salt28

"tunneling" (has this already been suggested?)

Post by salt28 » 2003-05-19 07:26

Passive users can't connect to passive users, couldn't they tunnel thru active users?

I have 256/64 K ADSL at home, and 100 Mbit at the university (On a good day I can download at 60 Mb/s ).

Problem is at the university I'm behind a firewall and alot of people who have T3's and stuff at their work/university are also behind firewalls.

Couldn't certain active users in hubs act as mediators, to "tunnel" the connections between two passive users? after the connection is initiated, the active mediator isn't needed (I think, though my understanding of TCP\UDP isn't perfect).

Nobody downloads from my 64 K ADSL, they at most get 40 K (5 KB/s), but it is a active connection and I would love it if passive users could use my crappy upload for some good, if I'm right such a "tunneling" (although it isn't real tunneling, hence the quotation marks) wouldn't require much upload bandwidth.

Besides then when I'm at the university I could download some stuff from other passive users.
And if every hub would have one or two mediators, passive users would have all the advantages of active users.

So is this possible, and has it been suggested before?

mo
Forum Moderator

Post by mo » 2003-05-19 18:48

after the connection is initiated, the active mediator isn't needed
The active user would be required for all transactions to take place including the file transfer.
The active user could not act as a matchmaker, and just leave the two passive users to themeselves