Way to check finished uploaded rar's from sfv

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

COLYPTiC

Way to check finished uploaded rar's from sfv

Post by COLYPTiC » 2003-05-18 03:21

For the small multi-sourcing community, myself included, the download side for packed files is very nice, be even nicer for the uploader to see basically the same information. (Missing and finished rar's). I think it can be done right from the sfv if I'm not mistaken.

The upload folder works fine until you restart your client, pretty sure theres a way you can store the information in a local file until the download finishes completely or the parts are not needed anymore. But maybe the DC protocol doesn't have the support for this. :/

I think this would encourage more users to pack the files they share, not sure, but I think thats the main reason behind auto-sfv checking being implemented was for packed files, which leads to multi-sourcing, which is constantly mentioned on all Direct Connect related forums I've been to. Most just don't understand it, I had to think about it for awhile until I finally got it.

In my opinion the file trees and auto-sfv makes DC unique and my P2P program of choice, its starting to look a bit like FTP sites. If users would stop extracting files it would be almost identical to sites. Just a big community of sites :)

cyberal

yupp, rar is the way to go

Post by cyberal » 2003-05-20 09:34

Quick Why RAR list..

1. You allways have a checksum-file (SFV) to check if the file is corrupt. DC++ does this automaticly when downloading, and if you loose your connection there is no risk that the file you downloaded is somehow unusable because of the sfv-file check... should something go wrong the file will be redownloaded.
2. If a file is corrupt you only have to redownload 15, 20 or 50 MB instead of 700 or 4.5GB.
3. You can queue the same original release from many users and download some files from each user until you've got them all... and in this way maximize your downloadspeed -> less time to download.
4. The files are identical with all users, so there's no doubt which file to resume.
5. We won't have these unneccesary questions in mainchat.. "What codec do I use for mib2.avi ??" "What movie is fastnfurious.avi?"..... The nfo-file says it all!
6. Last but not least, it's way too easy faking a large share with 4.5 GB -img-files...
http://whyrar.omfg.se - Guide to RAR and DC behaviour!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet