same file from different users

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

staz

same file from different users

Post by staz » 2003-05-15 12:41

At normal direct connect it's possible to download the same file from many people at the same time, it will then resume .. but in dc++ it starts on a new file even if the file you select to download is as the same filename.. i reckon this has something to do with the incomplete files script but is it fixable in anyway ?

distiller

Post by distiller » 2003-05-15 18:48

You can add multiple sources to the same file. DC++ will download from the one that responds first. DC++ also checks if the size is the same, if sizes doesn't match you can never add that sourc to the queue item (no use really).

This is a good way to add sources to a queue item:
Right-click a file in the Download Queue, select "Search alternate...".

If you recieve results from the search in the new windows, sort them by size and select all that have the corerct size (the filennames CAN differ!).

Rightclick anyone of the selected alternatives and choose "Download To". If you have a queue item that has the same exact size as the selected sources there will be an alternative, select it.

If you have "test.avi" in your download queue, and do a "Search for alt." and found 3 results; "testing.avi, atest.avi and test2.avi" which all had the same size, select them - use shift, left-click first item, then last while still holding shift, then release shift.
When you right click one of the select item and choose "download to" you will see your "defaultpath\test.avi" there, fxp "D:\downloads\test.avi", select it and DC++ can now use any of the three sources for this queue item.

Splicer

Post by Splicer » 2003-05-16 03:26

Yeah it works, we would be busting arne's balls if it wasn't. (though I doubt that he would ever release one that didn't)
"Tomorrow sees undone, what happens not today. Indecision brings delays. Days lost lamenting lost days"

"I’m getting some kind of sick pleasure out of watching her squirm!?!........must be a perk!"

staz

Post by staz » 2003-05-24 21:05

thx/tack :P

staz

it didnt work

Post by staz » 2003-06-13 11:47

i chose download to, select the path of my allready partially downloaded file, but it doesnt resume.. it starts writing a new file.. whys this?