DC++ and remote refresh command

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

[TGA]Osiris

DC++ and remote refresh command

Post by [TGA]Osiris » 2003-01-17 04:02

Hey, I was wondering if it excists or if someone could be willing to program this little feature for me.

What I need: To be abel to send a person using this DC++ version a PM that says: !refresh or something like that.. Then the client will refresh its share list..

Why: I have some FTPs that are mainly controlled remotly.. I want to share a folder from each FTP in my HUBs.. But since nobody is around them much and not possible to install a remote admin program on them I need to find a way to refresh the share list after uploading a movie, MP3s or what ever..

Thx *s*
Running a linux server without ur boss knowing it? --=PRICELESS=--

[TGA]Osiris

Post by [TGA]Osiris » 2003-01-17 04:04

Ohh and: This command is not to be available to all users.. Only OPs or maybe just 2-3 nicks

bibigon

Post by bibigon » 2003-01-17 18:59

Well, BCDC++ 0.22 has a simelar feature. You can set it to automatically refresh the filelist every few hourss.

[TGA]Osiris

Post by [TGA]Osiris » 2003-01-17 19:10

K.. good ebough.. Where can I get this client? :?:

Djurmamman

Post by Djurmamman » 2003-01-18 12:21

It would be cool if it was implemented and password protected so you could send !refresh <password>

Cez made a client that could be remotely refreshed for ancient spirit. (We had a client that shared all the programs we mentioned in the faq)
It only reacted if usernames starting with [Ancient] wrote the command. (We have a ISP-prefix scripted hub so no other than the operators can call themselves [Ancient])

I don't know if anyone still has that client stored but if you ask nice he might make one for you. I think the one we used was based on 0.175 or something like that.
[url=dchub://ancient.myftp.org]ancient.myftp.org - [BBB][Sunet][Tele2] ONLY! @ 20GB (ISP/IP/Share Scripted)[/url]

Hory

Post by Hory » 2003-01-20 10:29

A "forced refresh" should be implemented into DC++, once / hour, to make people stop moving their shared files somewhere else to avoid uploading to people.

ender

Post by ender » 2003-01-20 11:04

Hory wrote:A "forced refresh" should be implemented into DC++, once / hour, to make people stop moving their shared files somewhere else to avoid uploading to people.
Naah, it can take pretty long to refresh your shares, especially if you share a lot of small files from network drives. A much better approach was proposed already: when DC++ gets a request for a file in it's sharelist, and that file isn't available, it should refresh the share (it shouldn't refresh the share if it receives a request for non-existant file, as that could allow a remote attacker to DoS you).

TheekAzzaBreek

too dangerous for my tastes

Post by TheekAzzaBreek » 2003-01-20 16:53

Remotely refreshed lists are too vulnerable for abuse. I'm sharing a mapped network drive, if someone would send me a forced refresh every minute or two, my network would grind to a halt. You'll get users asking for config options to disable it, and programmers doing just that.

Previously it has been suggested to auto refresh when the client gives out 'file unavailable'. I don't see how anybody could object to that. You might miss out on the latest and greatest, but at least you remove the unavailable problem, and a popular cheat.

Periodic refreshed list make sense too. I'm all for it.

[TGA]Osiris

Post by [TGA]Osiris » 2003-01-20 17:10

hmm well the point was that Only OPs or a given nick password proteted could do it..

mo2

Post by mo2 » 2003-01-22 12:10

I think all the files should be refreshed contiuously.

Not like the normal 'on startup' refresh or /refresh, but a slow creeping refresh. might take hours to complete, but would keep the share files in synch with the dclist, and would not effect the client system at all.

just my 2 cents

LordAdmiral

Post by LordAdmiral » 2003-01-22 22:23

I like the periodic refresh button. I know I often forget to refresh my filelist, and I get kicked for doing so every so often. Since I've usually got DC++ uptimes of weeks, it'd be great not to have to type '/refresh' every time I finish a new file and share it or rearrange my files around.

And if none of this is feasible, what about a refresh button on the toolbar? :)

LinkSync

Macro Magic Work-a-Round

Post by LinkSync » 2003-01-26 04:31

If u dont have macro magic u should get it.
U can set it up to refresh your list as u want it to.
I imagine in linux and such it could be scripted if u know how, i suppose in windows too but i dont know how like most users, so macro magic is WONDERFUL! put it in learn mode, let it watch u move your mouse around (bringing dc++ up to forground, clicking in the comand line, typing /refresh, hiding the app away again from your boss...)then tell it to play it back at 500% speed and watch it BLINK thru all the steps u took!
then just put a time value on it like every 2 hours or whatever...

U have got to admit the net RULEZ!
TREEHOUSE.dns2go.com:411
[email protected]
Good Warez LINKS @ www.tree-house.info

sarf

Re: DC++ and remote refresh command

Post by sarf » 2003-01-26 07:44

[TGA]Osiris wrote:Hey, I was wondering if it exists or if someone could be willing to program this little feature for me.
I've finished hacking this together for the next beta version of DC++k. If you want to get the code, PM me.
I decided that you have to specify a "passphrase" and then any PM with the "!refresh <passphrase>" syntax which matches the passphrases causes an immediate forced refresh.
I also added an option to force refresh the share every hour (DC++ tries to automatically refresh the share every hour, but if the share hasn't been touched it won't do anything, and since DC++ does not trace the changes on the harddrive...). Again, if you want this code, PM me.

Sarf
---
Well, Katrina likes it.

arnetheduck
The Creator Himself

Post by arnetheduck » 2003-01-26 08:56

sarf wrote:(DC++ tries to automatically refresh the share every hour, but if the share hasn't been touched it won't do anything, and since DC++ does not trace the changes on the harddrive...).
I've always wondered why it didn't work...

ender

Post by ender » 2003-01-26 11:56

sarf wrote:I decided that you have to specify a "passphrase" and then any PM with the "!refresh <passphrase>" syntax which matches the passphrases causes an immediate forced refresh.
This is pretty useless IMO - a much better approach is that DC++ would automatically refresh the share when a requested file (which exists in the sharelist) is not found on the disk - this way the user's share would be almost always current, while the feature couldn't be abused to DoS the user (after the share is refreshed, all files in the sharelist are available - unless the user himself removed the file again).

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-01-26 13:33

ender wrote:
sarf wrote:I decided that you have to specify a "passphrase" and then any PM with the "!refresh <passphrase>" syntax which matches the passphrases causes an immediate forced refresh.
This is pretty useless IMO - a much better approach is that DC++ would automatically refresh the share when a requested file (which exists in the sharelist) is not found on the disk - this way the user's share would be almost always current, while the feature couldn't be abused to DoS the user (after the share is refreshed, all files in the sharelist are available - unless the user himself removed the file again).
... but you'd have to code it right. Unfortunately, that's not as much of a quick fix as I'd like (I dislike going into the nitty gritty internals). Besides, sometimes you want to force a refresh (when you know that some new files should have appeared) and then you want a way to do that without having to do strange things like sending a manually edited file request or somesuch.
No matter. I've added this as yet another feature for those that want it.

Sarf
---
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

mo2

Post by mo2 » 2003-01-26 21:42

I think a force refresh on 'file not found' should definately be implemented.

I still think having an hourly refresh is a good idea too.

When I add files, it's nice to move them into the share and forget about them.

Argonne

Auto-refresh is good: the Okb bug

Post by Argonne » 2003-03-12 02:21

I don't know what causes this but I have experienced on a number of occasions the so called "0kb bug" - share dropping to zero on the list. I have gotten banned because of this (I normally share 120 Gb). The ones that have not banned have suggested the /refresh works. It is because of this that I find it imperative that an auto-refresh every few hours is implemented. I don't know if this is the fault of dc++ or hub software/scripts. It does not happen often enough to know for sure. I suspect maybe the hub is to blame.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Auto-refresh is good: the Okb bug

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-03-12 22:35

Argonne wrote:I don't know what causes this but I have experienced on a number of occasions the so called "0kb bug" - share dropping to zero on the list.
When this happens, can you open your own list and see what appears there?
(does it happen simultaneously on all hubs?)
I find it imperative that an auto-refresh every few hours is implemented.
There is an hourly share refresher, it may have been in there all along, but the earliest I can see mention of it in the changelog is in 0.23. (It's not important enough to go source diving just to find that out ;))

Argonne

Post by Argonne » 2003-03-13 09:11

GargoyleMT:

About the 0Kb event:

It does not seem to happen simultaneously at all hubs, now that you mention it. I have not really checked. I have mainly noticed this when I have gotten kicked/banned for sharing 0kb. I then refreshed on all hubs, but I have never had problems like this on more than one hub at a time. So it seems that it may be connected with something that some hubs do.

Thanks for mentioning the v. 0.23 feature. I have to update now.

sarf

Re: Auto-refresh is good: the Okb bug

Post by sarf » 2003-03-13 17:14

GargoyleMT wrote:There is an hourly share refresher, it may have been in there all along, but the earliest I can see mention of it in the changelog is in 0.23. (It's not important enough to go source diving just to find that out ;))
It was there all along, but it was "neutered" in earlier versions... every hour DC++ would look at the share and see that all was good (since no files had been added/removed from it)... and thus ignore to update itself.

Oh well.

Sarf
---
Did you know that lithium builds up in the fatty tissues of the body?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-03-13 21:47

Argonne wrote:It does not seem to happen simultaneously at all hubs, now that you mention it. I have not really checked. I have mainly noticed this when I have gotten kicked/banned for sharing 0kb. I then refreshed on all hubs, but I have never had problems like this on more than one hub at a time. So it seems that it may be connected with something that some hubs do.
Well, if this keeps happening, please make a bug reportand post as many relevant details there as you can muster... :-/