Automatic search list

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Delta9

Automatic search list

Post by Delta9 » 2003-04-26 08:39

I request an automatic search list, like in Soulseek.

It's especially benefitial for people (like me) how have many requests. The best way would be a simple window, where you can type your requests in, seperated by [returns]. Optionally with copy&paste and with text-file import.
Life is too short to listen to bad music!

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2003-04-26 09:17

You mean like ADL search?

Delta9

Post by Delta9 » 2003-04-26 10:10

Not quite the same. As I have understood ADL search, it does only work within downloaded file-lists and only if you're opening them.

I mean like in Soulseek. This means that a couple of search-terms you typed in in a windows will be searched for automatically (on the hubs, not in file-lists) say every half an hour.

Kenneth-Chile

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-04-26 14:15

This was suggested in another post. Please use the search tool.
In Theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In Practice, there is.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

don't necessarily jump on the newbie

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-26 22:23

Well, better, use the search tool then post to the original thread. (There's no cause for that now that this post has been made, though.)

I have seen another soulseek suggest this, and it does have merit. Can you describe in depth how it needs to work (not technically)? I imagine you'd specify searches somewhere, but how are results displayed if there are hits? What happens with no hits? Can manual searches be triggered with the same search terms (through the editing interface)? Are files ever auto-queued or downloaded?

leadenboy

Post by leadenboy » 2003-04-27 05:44

GargoyleMT wrote:I have seen another soulseek suggest this, and it does have merit. Can you describe in depth how it needs to work (not technically)?
Basically, the idea is to create a list of searches, with standard search parameters, that will be carried out at some regular interval on all the hubs a user is connected to. Results are returned as they appear, but no window is necessary for searches that return no result.
GargoyleMT wrote:I imagine you'd specify searches somewhere, but how are results displayed if there are hits? What happens with no hits?
The way Soulseek handles it is to display the results exactly the same way as regular searches are displayed. When there are no hits there is no display.
GargoyleMT wrote:Can manual searches be triggered with the same search terms (through the editing interface)?
Not sure I understand this question. Is the idea that for some reason you wouldn't be able to do a manual search with those terms because they're already in the automatic search list? (You can.) Or is the idea that in the window where you specify your automatic searches allows you trigger the same search yourself, by clicking on something? (You can't - but it seems redundant anyway, no?)
GargoyleMT wrote:Are files ever auto-queued or downloaded?
No. This seems like a questionable idea to me. With multiple results, how would the program choose which user to try and download from? What would prevent users from misusing such a feature and clogging up a hub with automatic requests left and right? Maybe that's paranoid of me, but it's my guess.

(Incidentally, I'd say this feature is a good idea, but not as good as mp3 bitrate information. :wink: )
GargoyleMT wrote:Post subject: don't necessarily jump on the newbie
Seriously. Veterans on the Soulseek forum compete to insult newbies as viciously as possible. It's not pleasant, and it would be nice for the DC++ to provide a more pleasant alternative to that as well.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

spontaenous responses lead to rudeness?

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-27 10:04

leadenboy wrote:Basically, the idea is to create a list of searches, with standard search parameters, that will be carried out at some regular interval on all the hubs a user is connected to. Results are returned as they appear, but no window is necessary for searches that return no result.
This sounds like a sensible way to work the feature. I would presume that search results do not pop up and steal the forus in the application? Well, regardless, that sounds like the right way for it to be designed in DC++. Perhaps color could be added to the tab interface, so the results could grab your eye some other way.
leadenboy wrote:Not sure I understand this question. Is the idea that for some reason you wouldn't be able to do a manual search with those terms because they're already in the automatic search list? (You can.) Or is the idea that in the window where you specify your automatic searches allows you trigger the same search yourself, by clicking on something? (You can't - but it seems redundant anyway, no?)
Well, some people are impatient, so it might make sense to allow them to trigger the search on demand... so yes, redundant, but perhaps that fact doesn't make it insane to do so. :)
leadenboy wrote:No. This seems like a questionable idea to me. With multiple results, how would the program choose which user to try and download from? What would prevent users from misusing such a feature and clogging up a hub with automatic requests left and right? Maybe that's paranoid of me, but it's my guess.
Agreed about auto-queuing files. Well, DC++ itself already has the "search spam" feature to block out sending results to people who spam with searches. Before this gets implemented, a "Search Dispatch" feature needs to get implemented, so that searches (manual, auto-finding sources, and 'presistent' searches) are queued, then released to the hub in a nice orderly manner. Yes, searching is one of the biggest users of bandwidth in DC.
leadenboy wrote:(Incidentally, I'd say this feature is a good idea, but not as good as mp3 bitrate information. :wink: )
Noted. :)
leadenboy wrote:Seriously. Veterans on the Soulseek forum compete to insult newbies as viciously as possible. It's not pleasant, and it would be nice for the DC++ to provide a more pleasant alternative to that as well.
Well, hopefully the DC++ forum isn't there yet. I'm the most prolific poster (9% or so of posts), and I'm a quiet, helpful introvert in real life. Nobody else has really stepped up to answer people's requests, so I try. I'll be cynical/short when answering questions that people could have found answers to themselves (such as finding a public hub list). But I'll normally edit my posts a couple of times to get phrasing right when answering other people, as well as popping open new browsers to do research to answer their questions. Anyway, I'm a firm believer in this document, which largely advocates trying to help yourself before asking others to help you: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Delta9

Post by Delta9 » 2003-04-27 11:02

To end up the discussion about how polite board members should be, I have to say that I used the search before quoting here, but none of the heading have sound to me like the feature I requested.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

well it all depends

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-27 11:20

Well, it really depends on what you search for. For instance, I picked up on "Soulseek", and so when I searched on it, I was able to locate the post that I was thinking of, as well as some subsequent posts where I mentioned it. It doesn't matter so much if topics like this are brought up once a month or so, but there are other questions that people ask (such as how to configure DC++ in active mode) that are much more frequent, and tend to wear down the regulars. ;-)

Delta9

Post by Delta9 » 2003-04-27 14:04

Well, ok. I just wanted to mention that I'm NOT to lame to read and understand the rules. :lol:

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

:)

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-27 19:20

I'll drink to that!

Besides, I'm a fan of borging (or thinking of borging) useful features that other P2P applications have for use in DC++. Taking the best and leaving the rest is a sure way to victory.

1. Absorb features from other P2P applications
3. PROFIT!

mirza

Post by mirza » 2003-04-28 09:04

I'm not sure how "auto find alternative sources" works, but I imagine it iterating through my downloads and every once in a while submitting a search for some item...

This kind of sounds like a problem when you have sixty files named "this show - episode X.avi".

Therefore, imo it would be nice to be able to disable that function and use this suggested auto-search-thing and just specify "this show avi"... DC++ would then automatically add new sources as it finds them. I don't need to see results, if I want that I can do a manual search.

So I'm thinking the manual-auto-search-sources should be the replacement for auto-auto-search-sources... Sometimes your files have weird names or you have a series of files with slightly different names...

That's kind of what I thought and hoped ADL Search was... before taking a decent look at it :)

Tr0n

Post by Tr0n » 2003-05-10 13:57

Automatically adding new sources for files you have in your download queue is a GREAT and a MUST idea!

Image downloading a movie, which is like 50 .rar archives. You have to "search for alternative locations" for every single file to find multiple sources.

Wouldn’t it be easy, if you added those files in the queue and dc would search and add new sources in decent intervals (10 minutes or so)?

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-05-10 15:38

mirza, some of what you want is a simple patch in QueueManager.cpp :

Code: Select all

// SearchManagerListener
void QueueManager::onAction(SearchManagerListener::Types type, SearchResult* sr) throw() {

if(type == SearchManagerListener::SEARCH_RESULT && BOOLSETTING(AUTO_SEARCH)) {
		StringList l = getTargetsBySize(sr->getSize(), Util::getExtension(sr->getFile()));
to look like

Code: Select all

// SearchManagerListener
void QueueManager::onAction(SearchManagerListener::Types type, SearchResult* sr) throw() {

if(type == SearchManagerListener::SEARCH_RESULT) {
		StringList l = getTargetsBySize(sr->getSize(), Util::getExtension(sr->getFile()));
... but other things require a bit more code. How about submitting a patch for "searches that should be done every now and then in the background" or somesuch, mirza? That seems to fit the bill of what you want to do pretty nicely.
Tr0n wrote:Automatically adding new sources for files you have in your download queue is a GREAT and a MUST idea!
Yeah! That's why it's included in DC++ since... a long time ago. Go look in your "Advanced" Settings pane, Tr0n.

Sarf
---
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.

Tr0n

Post by Tr0n » 2003-05-10 15:43

sarf: It doesn't work the way it should.

Check http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=2729

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-05-12 10:00

Yes, it does work the way it should. It does not, perhaps, work the way you think it should, but looking at the way the auto-search is coded, you can bet your keyboard that it works the way it "should" (= how arnetheduck coded it)... however, I just added some code to allow you to decide what criteria should be used when auto-searching - I've added them to the Advanced dialog pane in the latest version of DC++k.

Sarf
---
The value of a program is proportional to the weight of its output.