Recovery Function

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

yomisei

Recovery Function

Post by yomisei » 2003-04-20 17:42

Hi there
I got an idea for a very useful recovery function. When I'm downloading many .avi files they sometimes contain some errors (checked with DivFix). I don't like to download the file again.
Wouldn't it be cool if you can download the same file again, but set a range which data should be downloaded, maybe 150MB to 175MB. That would reduce some wasted bandwidth :wink: Best place would be the menue when you select a file in the search. Then you could enter the damaged .avi file and the range.
I hope this function will be integrated soon. I don't like wasting bandwidth.
(i think eMule has a similar recovery system?)

Moch

Post by Moch » 2003-04-20 17:56

That feature is very closely related to the multi source download feature. Once that feature gets implemented (correctly)(if ever) than you shouldn't even need the feature you requested. Why? Well, multisource downloads, when implemented correctly, should have some kind of hash system to make sure the data blocks being downloaded come across without errors, and if they have errors it would be automatically re-requested.

Search for other threads mentioning multi-source downloads and Hashes such as MD5, SHA1, and TigerTree Hashes.

~Moch

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-20 19:01

As a sidenote, I believe that fixing large downloaded files that are corrupt is exactly what Zidrav is about. And you and the uploader can work it out through regular email or even by uploading/downloading patch sets.

Hashes will be in DC++ at some point, but if you want to pay someone to work on it full time, "soon" will come a lot sooner. ;-)