queue priority

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

sammas

queue priority

Post by sammas » 2003-04-17 10:02

is it possible to put queue priority on the op, vip and user?

e.g op had the first priority while vip got 2nd priority and the user has last priority.
in the same level of priority, who has the larger size of files shared will get queue first then the smaller size of files shared by another user same level of priority...

if it is possible, how to do it?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: queue priority

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-17 10:54

Sammas, first, are you aware that you're posting in the Developer's Help topic, which is devoted to helping people understand the DC++ source code?

It looks like you're asking about upload queueing in DC++. There is no system for this currently, and I believe that operators and registered users are not any better than regular users, and I would not like them to have prefferential treatment when downloading from me (except for OPs getting my file list for checking against the hub rules). Priority by share size is also very naieve.

If this is really what you're asking about, search the archives for "Ratings System" - it is a long thread, but Sarf and Volkris (and others) have been pretty thorough about thinking through the consequences of various schemes.

Moch

Post by Moch » 2003-04-17 12:50

Eeek I agree with GargoyleMT.

I can just imagine it... people with larger shares able to download while people with small shares cant.. that would cause a great divide, and people would be lets say... very very rich.. or very very poor..

FIFO queues seem like the best idea. Fair and un-judgmental.

*shrug* If you were able to enforce your idea. I know I sure wouldn't want to be in your hub.

sammas

Post by sammas » 2003-04-17 13:24

i know this maybe unfair...
but better than leecher just leech and went off cos i allow no min shared to let some noob to file sharing to be here

smitty

Post by smitty » 2003-05-22 11:51

Well then wouldn't that kinda make allowing no-minimum useless...c'mon...you just contradicted your thoughts..."I want to let them in but not download"...just DON'T let them in if you feel that way.
Knowledge is Earned BUT Wisdom is Free

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-05-24 12:21

In any case, I'm redirecting this thread to the features forum, it seems slightly more on topic there.