Prioritise Users

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

ReadThis

Prioritise Users

Post by ReadThis » 2003-04-14 21:56

most of the time i find that i cannot get an open slot.
i share more files than an average user, and believe that everyone in my shoes should not have to wait as much just because we have more to offer.
another words:
if you share more, then you should not have to wait so much in queues.

is there anything we can do about this?

yilard

Post by yilard » 2003-04-15 02:05

No. I believe this would just help leechers and fakers. It surely won't be implemented. :!:

An btw., stop writing in bold and using nicks like "Read This" if you don't want to be ignored.
In the age of super-boredom/hype and mediocrity/celebrate relentlessness/menace to society --KMFDM

ReadThis

Post by ReadThis » 2003-04-15 05:05

how would this help leechers, it would update every 2 minutes or so... from the current "connected users"
think of it, users would connect and disconnect, there's no way of leaching a source that always changes.
the server would search for these sourches and put them on a page thus saving me/and others time to search for alternate sources.
i think that's one advantage any kazaa based-engines have got over dc, other than that great work.

<a href> http://www.sharereactor.com </a href>
(here's an example of what i'm talking about, it requires a client, i use overnet, anyhows, this would maybe give you an idea)

ps. readthis is my nick name

Nazo

Post by Nazo » 2003-04-15 05:53

Firstly, kazaa is VERY easily cheated. Heck, I do it, and I don't cheat in any of the other things. Truth is, I didn't have to. I use kazaap not for the cheating thing, but for the other options. For some unknown reason I got the full participation level when I had nothing shared in normal kazaa. Not a very good system if you ask me.

Now, as to why it would help people cheat and leech too much if you let them have the prioritizing system, it's actually kind of simple. All a cheater or leecher has to do is give higher priorities to 56k users and things like that so that no one with the faster connections can get in to them and get their bandwidth. The fact is that it would only help when some person serving actively watches it pretty often, and most people aren't going to do that.

And please definitely don't use all bold like that. It's horribly annoying and I almost didn't even read this post. The ReadThis makes peopel want to not read it too.

yilard

Post by yilard » 2003-04-15 06:26

ReadThis had obviously automatic prioritizing based on amount shared on mind. Which is indeed an evil thing. It would give fakers even greater advantage than they have now.

And note, that the amount you share doesn't automatically entitle you to any privileges. I prefer smaller amount of quality stuff than big load of old VCD movies already released as XViDs and assorted mp3s full of errors and duplicates. I want just to say you can't judge based on amount shared.
In the age of super-boredom/hype and mediocrity/celebrate relentlessness/menace to society --KMFDM

Marvin

Post by Marvin » 2003-04-15 06:26

Read the thread about Rating Systems.

ReadThis

Post by ReadThis » 2003-04-15 08:18

good point man