Hide the tray icon

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Quinn

Hide the tray icon

Post by Quinn » 2003-04-14 09:15

As lovely as the tray icon is I would find a hotkey to hide the program from view really handy. Something like l0Pht which uses Ctl-Alt-H as a toggle.

The thing is, the best place for me to get a decent d/l or u/l speed is at work, they do not notice the network traffic that this creates, but will notice the icon in the systray. My solution at the moment is to replace the DC++ icon with an empty icon so the program just creates a blank space in the tray. If I leave the computer for a while though other users start to question what has happened and after a little poking around the dl/ and u/l speeds hover over their mouse icon.

You can still see the program running by using the TaskMananger, but to be honest there are too many clueless muppets to think of that. If the function could be added to make DC++ immediately invisible when running it would really help.

off topic, but an excellent and vital utility by the way :wink:

qqzm

Post by qqzm » 2003-04-14 09:57

Not that I condone using dc at work :?, but if you can replace the b itmap with a blank one, have you tried replacing it with a blank, 1 pixel square bitmap?

mo
Forum Moderator

Post by mo » 2003-04-14 12:48

have you tried replacing it with a blank, 1 pixel square bitmap?
that won't help any

Not knowing what OS your running, it's hard to tell you what options you have, but there are programs out there that may do this for you.
Check out Iconic Tray http://dnsoft.swrus.com/it/
It's a program I've been using for a long time, and it might suit your needs

Quinn

Post by Quinn » 2003-04-14 15:04

Thanks mo for the idea, they are running 2K.

It is something I have looked at, but ideally I do not like to have to install too much extra software. DC++ works nicely because I can just copy the files over to remove them when necessary. I just requested the feature because it would make my life easier, dunno if it helps anyone else?