Transfer Engine

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Kieren

Transfer Engine

Post by Kieren » 2003-04-13 16:27

Would it be possible to split DC++ into 2 programs, one for the GUI and another invisible one that is connected to the hubs and manages all file transfers in the same way as programs such as CuteFTP, Winroute and Serv-U.

This would be usefull on standalone pc's so users can leave downloads running in the background or at startup and also with network support between the engine and remote transfers could be handled on an always-on server while controlled from another pc.

Moch

Post by Moch » 2003-04-13 17:15

I think that is beyond the scope of the DC++ client. (I could be wrong, anyone else?)

Ihere is a lot to do to split a current program up into a daemon type client (which is what it sounds like you are talking about). There are some things similar to that already, especially if you are running Linux, I don't know about windows though.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-13 17:38

Like Moch says, this is a hugely non-trivial undertaking. Your best bet would be, perhaps, if the linux based clients that support this (dcgui?) talk over TCP/IP to have someone (translation: pay someone large amounts of cold hard cash) make a windows client for it.

It's a worthwhile idea, and DC++ may go in that direction, but I've seen no evidence of it. It's Arnetheduck's project, so he's the authority on the matter.

Kieren

Post by Kieren » 2003-04-14 08:43

I already have a working example written in visual basic, the remote sends TCP/IP commands to the engine and if it is a standalone pc the remote uses localhost as the address. The problem is it would take a lot of time to give it all the features and stability that dc++ has.

I admit it would also take a lot of time to do the same in DC++ but i thought i would suggest it just incase the maker would consider it.