Auto save every x-amount of downloaded data

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

skullboX

Auto save every x-amount of downloaded data

Post by skullboX » 2003-04-12 07:57

I wasn't able to find a thread that dealt with this, but sorry if it has been dealt with before... My computer tends to crash from time to time and as I'm sure some of you have found out, if you haven't either closed the connection of the file you're downloading or haven't closed DC++ once prior to the crash, you will lose everything you have downloaded. If you have closed the connection manually sometime, or closed DC++, you will only lose the amount of data you downloaded since then.

Either way, a great loss of bandwidth and data and quite annoying if your computer crashed at 700/790 megs only to find out everything is gone after I had no choice but to hit the reset button.

So my suggestion is to have DC++ automatically 'save' the file to disk every 10 megs or so, just as it would when you either properly close DC++ of close the connection. So, what about that?

[KUN.NL]mepmuff

Post by [KUN.NL]mepmuff » 2003-04-12 08:06

Check this thread. It deals with the same problem. It probably won't give you a sollution however, but it should give you some understanding of the actual problem.

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2003-04-12 08:08

this has been discussed before. you are running an inferior operating system, and that's where the problem lies. on winNT this issue doesn't occur.
namely, the data is saved to disk (don't think dc++ keeps 700MB in memory), but your OS can't handle partial files very well.

a possible solution is to close(2) and re-open(2) the file every x minutes, but as you might imagine, adding a lot of bloat to a program as a workaround for crappy OSes is not the number one priority for people.
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

skullboX

Post by skullboX » 2003-04-12 09:11

Thanks a lot. I'm indeed running an inferior OS, win 98 SE. I've been meaning to upgrade to win2K, but haven't found the time yet to do so...

I've read the other thread and learned quite a bit about the problem and selected some options which will hopefully cause less downloads to die on me... Thanks again, sorry to have brought this up again. =]

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-12 09:26

If you've learned something, there's no reason to be sorry for bringing it up. It's just a problem of this really being an OS shortfall, we can't do much on an application level to fix it, other than save files to disk in a segmented fashion or something similar. That wouldn't be nice or pretty or neat, and it is after all, a problem caused by the OS (crashing unexpectedly) and the filesystem (for losing track of data when the computer is unexpectedly rebooted).