Refreshing filelist for completed downloads

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

HaArD

Refreshing filelist for completed downloads

Post by HaArD » 2003-01-11 23:01

There have been a few discussions about auto refreshing the filelist and the challenges associated with that but this one should be EASY.

If I download a file and it completes, that file should be added to my filelist if it was downloaded to a location which is also SHARED.

Simple, right???

HaArD

synapz

Re: Refreshing filelist for completed downloads

Post by synapz » 2003-01-12 03:20

HaArD wrote:There have been a few discussions about auto refreshing the filelist and the challenges associated with that but this one should be EASY.

If I download a file and it completes, that file should be added to my filelist if it was downloaded to a location which is also SHARED.

Simple, right???

HaArD
Hmmm..is that a good idea?
If you are downloading a whole game release for example...most of the time it will be split over many RAR's and in more than one directory..if ONE files completes and it ghets shared...you will be kicked for sharing a not completed game ( in this case)...so it's not simple imho
Just another silly hub owner ;-)

maniak

Re: Refreshing filelist for completed downloads

Post by maniak » 2003-01-12 13:30

synapz wrote:Hmmm..is that a good idea?
If you are downloading a whole game release for example...most of the time it will be split over many RAR's and in more than one directory..if ONE files completes and it ghets shared...you will be kicked for sharing a not completed game ( in this case)...so it's not simple imho
That depends on the hub.

This feature might be optional, so if someone hangs out in the hubs that don't like it, it could be disabled. In the other hubs, this would be welcome.
Jack Valenti and the MPAA are to technology as the Boston strangler is to the woman home alone. (karb on /.)

HaArD

Post by HaArD » 2003-01-12 15:25

Exactly. Some hubs are concerned about incomplete game/movie/app/mp3 but most are more concerned with incomplete files.

If each user that completes a file becomes another alternate source for that file things can move around quicker, add multi-segmented downloads to that and bingo! transfer speeds for complete game/movie/app/mp3 go way up...

HaArD