Add this! Please! For your loyal users sake!

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

somea

Add this! Please! For your loyal users sake!

Post by somea » 2003-04-07 23:31

Make it so DCH++ recognizes DC++ clients of an applicable version and can send the rules/hub disclaimer/legal information of use to an "I accept/Decline box" and make it so you can disallow any other clients from getting on your hub!

This will make it a thousend times harder for these company spys to come into DC++ and get people in trouble indiscriminantly. They dont even have to have proof that you are doing something illegal to get you kicked off your ISP. Its so much BS...

Thank you for your time also. DC++ is the best, reguardless of the anti DC++ people and hubs... Who wants to only be able to share with 200 people when you can get up to thousends?

Moch

Post by Moch » 2003-04-08 02:43

Have you ever used hotline? It does basically what you ask.. let me descrive the functionality in one word: BLOWSMAJORDINGOKIDNEY

Well.. something like that anyway.

The reason.. well it doesn't stop "them people" from comming in and checking for piracy. It does as much good as high heals to a giraffe.

Here is what it is good for: People having to click OK every time they want in a hub.

Besides... this 'feature' would have to be added to the DC client as well as the hub, and isn't worth the bother, or me finishing this mes

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-08 08:07

I don't think arnetheduck is in the business of adding useless baseless legal mumbo-jumbo to his software.

Please see my follow-ups in this thread.

I'll second Moch's assessment.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Add this! Please! For your loyal users sake!

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-08 08:08

somea wrote:regardless of the anti DC++ people and hubs...
Whoah, care to give a name or a hub IP?

somea

Post by somea » 2003-04-12 15:02

There are tons of hubs that ban DC++ users and have (NO DC++) in their names.. not hard to find any of them.

I guess ill go back to fake sharing then since ill loose my net connection if i share anything illegal......................

Thank you for your useless criticizms of my problem. I already read and posted on that other thread, which is where I got this idea. I just hope noone reports you or you might have to back my idea some way or another also.

TasMan

Post by TasMan » 2003-04-12 15:17

You can always share freeware. I have over 2 GB of it in my share. And then there's shareware and demos (assuming you don't supply cracks).

And based on what you've said, you imply that you are sharing/downloading illegal software. Perhaps you should stop doing that, rather then get the developers to protect you.
Shadows Direct Connect Hub - Taking away the light from NMDCH, leaving only shadows.....

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-12 15:35

somea wrote:There are tons of hubs that ban DC++ users and have (NO DC++) in their names.. not hard to find any of them.
I counted 5. 4 on Sandos' list, one on the NMDC proper list.
I guess [I'll] go back to fake sharing then since [I'll] [lose] my net connection if share anything illegal...

Haha, you wouldn't want to face repercussions of doing something illegal, after all!

I already read and posted on that other thread, which is where I got this idea. I just hope noone reports you or you might have to back my idea some way or another also.

Well, I'm intelligent enough to know that if I were to do anything illegal and be caught doing it, there's no disclaimer that would protect me from prosecution.

somea

Post by somea » 2003-04-13 20:59

You apparently arent listening, also. I'v already told you five times that I'v read your 'disclaimers arent law' posts and that they dont relate to this idea. The entire intention is to make it harder or questionably legal to get into hubs with the intention of reporting people.

Did I ever say it would keep me from being sued for damages? No. But in doing nothing about the problem, the software authors might as well be helping people get caught. They have every ability to even put in a popup 'Agree to the hub rules' box instead of a disclaimer box. Every (EVERY) hub has rules and it would benefit them.

Please spare me this double-standard hypocritical piracy stuff too. You cant honestly believe that DC, being designed purely to share files, isnt just another piracy pit like Kazaa and Napster and all the rest of them. Freeware is nearly non-existant and we all know that.

I'll give you mabey 10% in legal content on DC in bytes. And unless your a developer or tester, you cant possibly still be downloading freeware on DC. You would have been done with all of it by now.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-13 21:25

somea wrote:You apparently aren't listening, also. I've already told you five times that I've read your disclaimers arent law posts and that they don't relate to this idea. The entire intention is to make it harder or questionably legal to get into hubs with the intention of reporting people.
My point remains, they still don't hold legal water, and will only scare away the ignorant. So they do not make it questionably [il]legal to report someone for piracy. If your hub attracts the attention of law enforcement, they will know that any agreement you can concoct will not prevent them from doing their job.

If you only want to "protect" yourself against people who believe that a message, even acknowledged through a private message, binds them to a particular action, then go ahead in your own hub. It's your prerogative. I just think it would be a very bad idea for Arne to include it in dch++. And I think he's much more intelligent than that.

TasMan

Post by TasMan » 2003-04-14 04:56

Code: Select all

Please spare me this double-standard hypocritical piracy stuff too. You cant honestly believe that DC, being designed purely to share files, isnt just another piracy pit like Kazaa and Napster and all the rest of them. Freeware is nearly non-existant and we all know that. 
Non-existant? What about the 10000+ projects on SF? And Linux? This is just open source software too. Freeware is all over the place.

DC was never meant to be a warez capital, and if it was Jon Hess would have been sued more than enough times by now. It's the users that decide what is shared, which leads me into the next point....

My point is that if you are so worried about being "caught" or "sued" for transfering warez, then you should not even be doing it. I don't think many people deserve to have protection against the law when they know they are doing something wrong (even though the "protection" is flimsy as grass). It is NOT the developers responsibility for what's transfered. It's YOURS and that's who should be handling the problem.
Shadows Direct Connect Hub - Taking away the light from NMDCH, leaving only shadows.....

yilard

Post by yilard » 2003-04-14 05:14

somea wrote:You apparently arent listening, also. I'v already told you five times that I'v read your 'disclaimers arent law' posts and that they dont relate to this idea. The entire intention is to make it harder or questionably legal to get into hubs with the intention of reporting people.
Questionably legal? Such statements have no legal power under most jurisdictions and (almost) everyone knows it. It wouldn't stop anyone. So why bother people with confirmation? Implementing it in hub side, would be really foolish and it would label DC network as piracy nest. If you do something illegal, then take responsibility for it.

If you feel like you needed, implement it as script.

I wonder how this urban legend could become so widespread as we can see it... I know only one which is more stupid, and that's the "you can legally use the (files, mp3, movies) for up to 24 hours and then delete it".
In the age of super-boredom/hype and mediocrity/celebrate relentlessness/menace to society --KMFDM