source manager ( user you are downloading from )

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

cyber zip

source manager ( user you are downloading from )

Post by cyber zip » 2003-04-02 09:15

Since I use DC++, a thinbg that make me annoying :cry: is the manage of sources for downloads. I'm tired of removing one by one manually users that are offline and I can't select a user for removing if the list contain over 40-50 users because it can't be scrolled.

:idea: So, I have a sample of idea :
Make a source manager frame witch looks like this :
- A frame split into 3 panes.
- The top panes show the download queue as it currently exist.
- The lower left pane show a list of users that are source for the selected file of the download queue.
- The lower right show a list of all users regardless of files that are attached to.
- 2 buttons on the left list "remove" & "remove all" for removing selected source and clear the list.
- 2 buttons for the right list "remove" & "add". The first remove a user from the entire queue download and the second add the selected as a source to the file selected in the the left list.
- Selecting a folder and adding it a user make it a source for all files of that folder.

:D Advantage :
- We can removed in one step several sources of a file or many users of the queue list.
- By adding a user as a source to files contained in a folder even if the user doesn't have some of files witch are attached to him, we have not to launch search for each files ( for example search rzr01.zip to rzr50.zip )
or get the filelist of a user to add all files that have not been displayed in the result search because of the limitation of 5 result per user.
- We can delete the column "Users" of the download queue list

:( Inconvenient :
- Some request for files a user doesn't have will be throw and receive "File not available"

:!: So think about this feature...

Kenneth-Chile

Re: source manager ( user you are downloading from )

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-04-02 14:49

cyber zip wrote:...if the list contain over 40-50 users because it can't be scrolled.

40-50?? :D
My maximum is 5 :P
I don't know really, but I think you are extremelly over average number.

Marvin

Post by Marvin » 2003-04-02 15:29

Well... Managing sources never crossed my mind ! Why remove sources anyway ?

Splicer

Post by Splicer » 2003-04-03 03:46

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I'm still looking for certain user download blocking though.
"Tomorrow sees undone, what happens not today. Indecision brings delays. Days lost lamenting lost days"

"I’m getting some kind of sick pleasure out of watching her squirm!?!........must be a perk!"

GFH

Post by GFH » 2003-04-06 03:43

dont know i neva removed no 1 i dont care
so i find new user to download from ....
dont know...

Nazo

Post by Nazo » 2003-04-15 05:31

Heh, I ran into the sort of situation where that sort of thing would help out earlier. I was downloading from one person at 60KB/s, they had to reconnect for a moment while I wasn't paying attention, and next thing I know DC++ is downloading from someone else at 2KB/s. At the time, I only had two sources, so I just removed the one sending 2KB/s for the time being (I'm sure next autosearch would find them again anyway,) but if the list of sources was large enough that could be troublesome. Anyway, to simplify, a good reason for a source manager is so you can pick the faster/more reliable sources over the slower ones.