Add 2 buttons in the main barre

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

DrB

Add 2 buttons in the main barre

Post by DrB » 2003-04-01 13:40

Hi everybody

i don't know if this feature have already been sugest

i know there is a command for automatic refresh but , i would like to clic on buttons for refresh my share instead of type /refresh

(i know some people used to command line doesn't see any interest in this but me and some basic users ,who are born on windows will see )

Another Button for the away and may be different type of away status just like MSN for exemple

i know i look like a friend of bill gates (MSN , Windows , Button every where ) but i'm not ^^

Kenneth-Chile

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-04-02 15:48

I agree, but the idea is not to fill the main bar with function buttons, but with panels.

I'd like a refresh button in the main bar, but in the other extreme. (right side) I don't know if away button is so necesary like the first one. I'd like in right side main bar too.

K.

Twink

Post by Twink » 2003-04-02 23:38

since dc isn't just made for leeching alot of people sit and chat too. I find it more effort to take one hand off the keyboard and move it to the mouse to click a button then to type a simple command like /refresh or /away

Kenneth-Chile

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-04-03 00:42

Twink wrote:since dc isn't just made for leeching alot of people sit and chat too. I find it more effort to take one hand off the keyboard and move it to the mouse to click a button then to type a simple command like /refresh or /away
I'm agree...for that reason I believe that /away command is more associated to chat windows and it's not necessary to create an away button, but IMHO /refresh command would be comfortable to have it in the main bar button, although it's not SO necessary either.

:D

RobbeZ

Post by RobbeZ » 2003-04-03 05:29

Kenneth-Chile wrote:
Twink wrote:since dc isn't just made for leeching alot of people sit and chat too. I find it more effort to take one hand off the keyboard and move it to the mouse to click a button then to type a simple command like /refresh or /away
I'm agree...for that reason I believe that /away command is more associated to chat windows and it's not necessary to create an away button, but IMHO /refresh command would be comfortable to have it in the main bar button, although it's not SO necessary either.

:D
I agree, it's handy but not necessary 8)
Codito Ergo Sum

Marvin

Post by Marvin » 2003-04-03 09:13

A refresh button will at least be usefull to teach refreshing to newbies (most of them seem to have a hole where their brain should store the /refresh command ;)).

Kenneth-Chile

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-04-03 23:22

Marvin wrote:A refresh button will at least be usefull to teach refreshing to newbies (most of them seem to have a hole where their brain should store the /refresh command ;)).
:D That's right. Newbies never read the readme.txt which contains /away and /refresh commands. They only press Install and next, next, next, OK buttons...They are nobody without buttons :) :D For that reason, they need them ;)

incubusfan15

Post by incubusfan15 » 2003-04-03 23:31

ya i think this would be a great new feature for those lazy people such as myself :lol:
Check out our hubs; -=�årk ¤ Ab¥s§=-: liberation.sytes.net
and
¤NightH@wks PiT¤: nighthawks.sytes.net

GFH

Post by GFH » 2003-04-06 03:54

cool....refresh botton it is ...i just read about this option itsnew to me :)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-06 09:37

Kenneth-Chile wrote: :D That's right. Newbies never read the readme.txt which contains /away and /refresh commands. They only press Install and next, next, next, OK buttons...They are nobody without buttons :) :D For that reason, they need them ;)
Maybe that just means the installer should be updated to auto-open the readme.txt. That is, if the Nullsoft Installer has such an option.

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2003-04-06 10:13

that won't work either..
most people will just close it immediately.

no.. what you need is an at-first-run question. "what's the first word in the second sentence about share refreshing in the readme.txt?"-style list of questions before you can run the app :D
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

Argonne

good ideas - in my opinion

Post by Argonne » 2003-04-08 07:03

I think that refresh and away buttons/menu choises would be fine (I am still using the "Peace Edition" so I don't know if something has changed recently). Especially the /away message should be stored somewhere in the options. I at least find the current auto-message a bit too offensive for my tastes (I like to be friendly to people - If they bother to PM me). Having to write /copy-paste the /away message every time can be a bit annoying. Of course maybe DC++ has some of these functions. I have only read the FAQ/readme and looked at the written commands and buttons.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: good ideas - in my opinion

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-08 07:29

Argonne wrote:I think that refresh and away buttons/menu choices would be fine (I am still using the "Peace Edition" so I don't know if something has changed recently). Especially the /away message should be stored somewhere in the options.
0.232? Ouch. But it also means that you have overlooed this existing feature in your version:

Code: Select all

-- 0.23 2003-01-30 --
* Added ability to set default away message (hm...perhaps this should use the last message set?)
It's on the Appearance page.

You should update, at least, to 0.233, fixes a crash-hang bug people were seeing on close on a variety of OSes. Well, actually you should try the latest version, whatever it is, even if, by chance, you do need to revert to avoid a bug in the newest version.

Nazo

Post by Nazo » 2003-04-08 12:04

Hrm, an optional toolbar could be made that can be turned off. That would make both sides happy d-: