dc++ autoconnect when kicked.....

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Nev
Programmer

dc++ autoconnect when kicked.....

Post by Nev » 2003-01-10 02:20

I talked about this in another thread but making a subject on its own.

One flaw in the dc protocol is that a client cannot tell (a mannerly fashion) if it was disconnected or kicked. With nmdc this was not a problem but with dc++ autoconnect feature this flaw becomes paramount.

How many times a day does an OP kick the same client over and over again, while the user is in school or at work. Kick, 5 min, Kick, 5 min, Kick ad infinitum... How many unesseccary permbans are issued daily because OPs gets tired of kicking the same client over and over?

Running nmdchub there isn't much we can do about that, but with all new hubsofts emerging we can! I have tested sending $Kick| to the client getting the boot, and it does not confuse dc++ nor nmdc.

I propose that dc++, when receiving $Kick|, turn off the autoconnect feature, and that all hubsoft developers add this simple message when receiving $Kick <user>| from an OP. As the message in no way interfere or confuse clients there is no need to make it into a extendedprotocol...

(Hmm.. sending $Kick| is somewhat ugly, perhaps we should simply forward the $Kick <user>| to the client?)

What do you all think? We could save alot of kicks and bans with this little feature....
[url=dchub://ancient.myftp.org]ancient.myftp.org - [BBB][Sunet][Tele2] ONLY! @ 20GB (ISP/IP/Share Scripted)[/url]

ender

Post by ender » 2003-01-10 03:22

The DC++ autoconnecting can be easily solved: if the client tries to connect before his tempban time is up, reset the tempban time and disconnect him. That's what I'm doing in my hub, and it works (but I, too send $Kick to the client when he's kicked).