ADL Search Interface.

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Kenneth-Chile

ADL Search Interface.

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-03-23 12:47

Initialy, I didn't know what adl search was. But now that I know this great feature, I believe that the interface to create what we are looking for is not the best at all.

So that you don't believe that only I am criticizing, :D I made the following proposal for ADL Search Interface:

:arrow: Above the ADL Status Bar, Create two buttons: NEW and REMOVE (The same way like in the Favorites Window).

:arrow: When NEW button is clicked, a new form window is opened (like the NEW favorites form). This form contains:

:arrow: Title bar: "ADL Search Item Properties"

:arrow: Search String text box.

:arrow: Source Type Pulldown Menu. Choices: Filename, Directory, Full Path. (Suggestion: If Filename is choosed, it could appear a new pulldown menu with Normal Search Type Choices: Audio, video, any, etc)
:arrow: Destination Text box. Default string: ADLSearch

:arrow: Active Pulldown Menu. Choices: Yes. No. (Suggestion: It could change the name to "Connected" if "Active" is what i think that it is) :?:

:arrow: Min Size Text Box. Besides a Size Unit Pulldown: KB-MB.

:arrow: Max Size Text Box. Besides a Size Unit Pulldown: KB-MB.

:arrow: Finally Three Buttons: OK, CANCEL and WHAT IS ADL Search?. This last button open a simple window with no more of 3 lines explanation about what ADL Search is. This will help to increase the use of this great feature, because there are few people who know what ADLSearch is.

Greetings.

Kenneth.
:wink:

[KUN.NL]mepmuff

Post by [KUN.NL]mepmuff » 2003-03-23 13:29

nicely worked out.

just one thing:
i think the what is ADL Search button should be in the main ADL Search window, not in a new search window.

Kenneth-Chile

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-03-23 17:00

[KUN.NL]mepmuff wrote:nicely worked out.

just one thing:
i think the what is ADL Search button should be in the main ADL Search window, not in a new search window.
Yes...It's more appropriated there. (Beside NEW and REMOVE Buttons)

Another suggestion: The ADL Search Folder(or icon folder) that will appear in FileLists could be in a different color that the normal folders (just a little), or maybe a little point or sign in the yellow folder icon in order to differenciate it from the other ones.

:D

[KUN.NL]mepmuff

More general sollution

Post by [KUN.NL]mepmuff » 2003-03-24 02:58

IMHO there should be a standard position for a help button on every window in dc++. But then whe'll need a help file. I read something about somebody having worked on that (http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/forum ... =help+file). Any news about that?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: More general sollution

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-03-24 08:09

[KUN.NL]mepmuff wrote:But then whe'll need a help file. I read something about somebody having worked on that (here). Any news about that?
I read nothing there that said anyone was working on it. :P Fireball is the semi-documentation guy, the Readme is his creation. I've thought about help files, but I have no experience making them. Anyone writing one needs to be able to look at the source to figure out how some features work (I like explaining in as much detail as someone is likely to want).

Kenneth-Chile

Re: More general sollution

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-03-24 10:36

[KUN.NL]mepmuff wrote:IMHO there should be a standard position for a help button on every window in dc++. But then whe'll need a help file.

I don't think so. Most windows interfaces are very intuitive and relatively easy to use them. The only one with interface problems is ADL Search window. For that reason I proposed the change.

Kenneth-Chile

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-03-25 00:30

What happens with this feature's change? :(
Nobody is in charge of ADL Search programming?

Or...there are reasons to reject the change?

:roll:

Saludos. (greetings)
Kenneth :wink:

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-03-25 07:27

Well, Henrik Engström was the one who wrote the feature. I don't know if he's a forum member or what his email address is, but if you want a change in how it's interfaced, he might be the person to ask... he might still be working on the feature or something.

I just respond quickly to changes that I can make easily, for the most part. :-D

Kenneth-Chile

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-03-26 00:57

GargoyleMT wrote:Well, Henrik Engström was the one who wrote the feature.

Will be him?:

http://www.ida.his.se/ida/staff/henrik_ ... m_eng.html

http://www.ida.his.se/~henrike/

Name and profession coincidence? :P Maybe...

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-03-26 20:08

w00t. Go you.

Cooincidence, perhaps, except for the .se on the domain name. ;-) Sweden rules the Direct Connect "empire" it seems.

Marvin

Post by Marvin » 2003-03-27 15:58

What about tooltips ? Their text could be in a XML file, to make localisation easy.

Kenneth-Chile

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-03-28 00:20

Marvin wrote:What about tooltips ?

Mmm...Dc++ is a very intuitive and easy tool. I think only ADL Search has a poor and no-friendly interface.

:shock:

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-03-28 09:09

Kenneth-Chile wrote:Mmm...Dc++ is a very intuitive and easy tool. I think only ADL Search has a poor and no-friendly interface.
The real problem is that it's inconsistent from the way you interact with the rest of DC++. If the rest of the program was like that, I don't think it could still be considered an unfriendly interface..

Kenneth-Chile

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-03-28 12:04

GargoyleMT wrote: The real problem is that it's inconsistent from the way you interact with the rest of DC++. If the rest of the program was like that, I don't think it could still be considered an unfriendly interface..
Yes, you're right. That's the real problem.

:shock:

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-03-28 12:11

Kenneth-Chile wrote:Yes, you're right. That's the real problem.
By the way, the indicator of away status and the additions to the confirmation exit dialog will be in the next version. :-D

Kenneth-Chile

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-03-30 17:31

Great! I really need the AWAY STATUS INDICATOR.

Thanks.

heen

Good suggestions!

Post by heen » 2003-03-31 11:10

Hello all, I'm the one who designed and implemented ADLSearch (it is not me on the home pages previously mentioned).

First, I totally agree with you that the ADLSearch interface needs a bit of work. When I wrote it I just made it as simple as possible (in my opinion) but it clearly seems I lacked users experience with DC++. It was ment a a trial that should lead on to a better UI at a later stage, since I mostly concentrated on the underlying search implementation.

Now that I have some of your opinions I will think them over and try to do better, thats a promise.

Regards/
Henrik Engström

Kenneth-Chile

Re: Good suggestions!

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-03-31 13:53

heen wrote:Hello all, I'm the one who designed and implemented ADLSearch (it is not me on the home pages previously mentioned).

First, I totally agree with you that the ADLSearch interface needs a bit of work. When I wrote it I just made it as simple as possible (in my opinion) but it clearly seems I lacked users experience with DC++. It was ment a a trial that should lead on to a better UI at a later stage, since I mostly concentrated on the underlying search implementation.

Now that I have some of your opinions I will think them over and try to do better, thats a promise.

Regards/
Henrik Engström

Oh!..Perfect! Nice to meet you.
:D Good work. Nice feature.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » 2003-03-31 20:22

Indeed cool!!! I just got 1 feature request that would make my life easier: That the folder of the found files was displayed too (location of file).

8)

Corlane

Another nice addition...

Post by Corlane » 2003-04-01 10:39

I really apreciate the option to change the filesize-format mentioned earlier (B, kB, MB). Another thing I would like to see is "GoTo dir" in the contextmenu of items found in the search. Either that, or make a tab displaying the path to the file.

Thx alot fellas!

Kenneth-Chile

Re: Another nice addition...

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-04-02 10:56

Corlane wrote:Another thing I would like to see is "GoTo dir" in the contextmenu of items found in the search. Either that, or make a tab displaying the path to the file.
Yes, Both, Goto Dir in context Menu and path to the file are good ideas.

Kenneth-Chile

Re: Another nice addition...

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-04-17 20:07

Kenneth-Chile wrote:
Corlane wrote:Another thing I would like to see is "GoTo dir" in the contextmenu of items found in the search. Either that, or make a tab displaying the path to the file.
Yes, Both, Goto Dir in context Menu and path to the file are good ideas.

Actually, I really need the path to the files :)
I use this feature a lot each day more.

heen where are you? :P

heen

Updates

Post by heen » 2003-04-18 01:35

Hi,

I have implemented most of your suggestions from this topic and sent it to the DC++ developer team, so hopefully it will be included in an upcoming release.

The one thing I haven't added is a new column in the directory listing, but on the other hand there is a 'Go to directory' in the context menu.

Hang in there/
Henrik

Kenneth-Chile

Re: Updates

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-04-18 15:10

heen wrote:Hi,

I have implemented most of your suggestions from this topic and sent it to the DC++ developer team, so hopefully it will be included in an upcoming release.

The one thing I haven't added is a new column in the directory listing, but on the other hand there is a 'Go to directory' in the context menu.

Hang in there/
Henrik
Ohh...thanks! :) I really apreciate that.
BTW, the "Directory or Path Column" must be easy to program it, doens't it?? Althought with the 'Go to directory' should be OK.

Thanks Again!
:D :D :) :) :lol: :lol:

heen

Re: Updates

Post by heen » 2003-04-18 15:17

Kenneth-Chile wrote:
heen wrote:Hi,

Hang in there/
Henrik
Ohh...thanks! :) I really apreciate that.
BTW, the "Directory or Path Column" must be easy to program it, doens't it?? Althought with the 'Go to directory' should be OK.

Thanks Again!
:D :D :) :) :lol: :lol:
You're right, it probably is quite easy to program. I just felt it may not be neccessary to insert a new column, it could be distracting to people not using ADLSearch. Maybe one could have it as a selectable option. But first I hope you like the recent changes, whenever they appear.
/Henrik