Feature - Force Source

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

user

Feature - Force Source

Post by user » 2005-02-01 20:02

Sometimes i have search results that doesn't have a TTH root at all, and i am pretty sure the file is exactly the same (size, etc) i'm downloading.
So what about an option like "Force Source" to make DC++ add the user as a source (in case the file size is exact)?
We could do it at our own risk, and it does not seem to be a difficult feature to add.

paka

Post by paka » 2005-02-01 20:34

If the new source is different to the one you were downloading from before, your file may disintegrate. Some of such files are re-shared and we don't want corrupted files in the network.

You can download the file to another location.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Feature - Force Source

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-02-03 13:30

user wrote:it does not seem to be a difficult feature to add.
It is harder in CVS - the tree is checked on resume, so if the file that you think is the same isn't the same, the user would be removed as a source as soon as a block of their file didn't match your own. Plus, the downloading code now always requests files by TTH, if both ends support it, so sources with different TTHs couldn't be supported without some changes. Your feature request would work in the lone circumstance you mention, as a file without a TTH means a source that doesn't support download-by-TTH.

In short, look at past posts about on-the-fly repair of files using TTHs. That's the closest you may come to your feature being implemented.