When did Unfinished downloads appear?

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Skarek

When did Unfinished downloads appear?

Post by Skarek » 2005-01-15 23:02

I just updated my DC++ to the latest version. Suddenly my program disk was filled up with temporary unfinnished downloads. So i had to move this dir. Byt WHY do you want extra temp files? They just eat CPU and fragments the disk when you have to move them around after completion. I prefered the way it was before when the file was downloaded to it's real filename.

How do you fix so it works as before, so i dont have to have all these irritating dummyfiles with strange names?

Xan1977
Forum Moderator

Re: When did Unfinished downloads appear?

Post by Xan1977 » 2005-01-16 00:42

Skarek wrote:I just updated my DC++ to the latest version. Suddenly my program disk was filled up with temporary unfinnished downloads. So i had to move this dir. Byt WHY do you want extra temp files? They just eat CPU and fragments the disk when you have to move them around after completion. I prefered the way it was before when the file was downloaded to it's real filename.
The temp files aren't new or extra -- if you're refering to the different naming scheme, it was added in 0.4032.

Moving completed files around on the same disk takes minimal processor time, but set the incomplete and complete directories to the same location if you want. Moving incompletes from a location on your download drive to the finished drive will actually reduce fragmentation..
Skarek wrote:How do you fix so it works as before, so i dont have to have all these irritating dummyfiles with strange names?
Use an old version I guess. The incomplete filenames include the TTH of the file in progress, so if god forbid something happens to your download queue, adding existing incompletes back and finding legitimate sources to continue the download is much easier.

More: http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=14651