Global Sources Control

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

durexlw

Global Sources Control

Post by durexlw » 2005-01-05 19:20

Say i'm downloading a DVD divided into rar files. I have "Atomatically search for alternative download locations on", so I download the files, search for alternates and I end up with a bunch of sources for alot of files.
Now one of this sources has a fast connection, an a few open slots, but the fucker has faked his files. Now if I found this out in time, I would have to manually remove this source for every rar file seperately... this is alot of work, certainly when there's like 200 sources for the file, it ain't even simple locating this particular source in this long list, let alone removing it for every file.

Something I call "Source Manager window" for explanation purposes, would be able to solve these things:
In my previous post I suggested implementing the ability to give sources priorities. You can find this idea in the thread "Simple way to speed up downloads" http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=14559
The main idea here is to bring the control we have over sources to a global level in a seperate window, or integrate this functionality to another window:
We have individual control over each file and it sources. A main control over the source itself could speed things up:

Consider the above example: lotsa files and a spoiled source. If we could block the source itself, we wouldn't have to do it for each file seperate, just block that user and you're done. With the same token, the priorities discussed in the other thread could easily be managed in this new window.

You could look at it as beeing the "Favorite users" extended: in this window you can allow upload slots. Why not allowing also "I don't want a download slot from him". In the same token, you may wanna consider an option of blocking private messages from this person and so on... make a most popular source list, that's users you download alot from and so on... I gave it some consideration and quite some nice functionality can be implemented after some thinking.

Main idea: just apply the control we have over sources, to the users. It's the same as the sources now, only in stead of binding every source to a file, also allow a global source control, block a user for example. This could be for example implemented in the favorite user window.

Cheers,
Andy

ullner
Forum Moderator

Re: Global Sources Control

Post by ullner » 2005-01-05 20:19

durexlw wrote:I would have to manually remove this source for every rar file seperately... this is alot of work, certainly when there's like 200 sources for the file, it ain't even simple locating this particular source in this long list, let alone removing it for every file.
Just use the option "Remove user from queue" and click on whoever you want to remove.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2005-01-05 22:14

If the hashes match, how can only one source have fake files? You did choose only alternate sources with hashes, didn't you?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Global Sources Control

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-01-06 14:12

durexlw wrote:Now one of this sources has a fast connection, an a few open slots, but the fucker has faked his files. Now if I found this out in time, I would have to manually remove this source for every rar file seperately...
Eliminating this is one of the gains of hashing. Faking files by filename isn't enough anymore, you have to fake hashes. And DC++ should check whether the file is valid for the hash (this is a very big simplication).

Aside from that, the feature request is in the old tracker:

[ 771569 ] manually label sources as preferred or to be avoided